• 2,779 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 10:25 PM

Link: http://www.betterhum...ID=2003-10-24-4
Date: 10-24-03
Author: staff
Source: http://www.betterhumans.com
Title: Touted Antiaging Pill Slated for 2004 Release
Related: Ceremedix Anti-aging Pill Thread
Comment: The goldfish brain protein 'ependymin' which is a neurotrophic growth factor is finding it's way to the marketplace, as Ceremedix suggested it would, as a nutraceutical. CMX-1152 has not been mentioned in literature on Pubmed but I assume it is a related compound to the one you can find discussed in the Related Links Thread. All in all, quite interesting!

Touted Antiaging Pill Slated for 2004 Release
Betterhumans Staff
Friday, October 24, 2003, 4:40:48 PM CT

A compound touted as the first dietary supplement that can increase the body's production of antioxidants to fight aging could be on the market as early as next year.

Denver, Colorado-based Lifeline Nutraceuticals, has announced that it aims to market the supplement, currently known as CMX-1152, by June 2004.

The compound was developed by Boston, Massachusetts-based CereMedix and announced earlier this year. (note: Ceremedix has taken up residence at Northeastern University- Link)

Increases production of antioxidants

Lifeline claims that CMX-1152 is a step forward for dietary products that aim to provide antioxidants for fighting diseases and aging.

Rather than providing external antioxidants, the compound causes the body to increase its own production of natural antioxidants.

CMX-1152 is made of a patented peptide derived from ependymin, a protein that occurs naturally in the human brain.

Lifeline says that it causes the body to mobilize defense and repair mechanisms and rescue tissues and organs damaged by oxidative stress. Studies show that the body's production of antioxidants decreases with age, which may partly explain why aging is a such a major risk factor for so many diseases.

Increases production of antioxidants

Lifeline claims that CMX-1152 increases antioxidant production to levels normally seen in younger adults and that independent analysis has shown that it increases important antioxidant enzymes by more than 400% above normal.

The compound has also reportedly reversed the effects of ischemic stroke in rats and restored youthfulness in elderly mice.

Lifeline says that clinical trials of CMX-1152 as an over-the-counter oral supplement should be completed by next summer.

It aims to then start marketing the product, possibly under the name Rejuven8r.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 01:16 AM

Yes, this is very interesting... they watch the news i see:

http://www.lifelinen..._inthenews.html

note: the longevitymeme quote is listed.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 02:25 AM

Interesting. My actual quote is here:

http://www.longevity...ws/?news_id=362

I'll be sending them an e-mail.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

#4 chubtoad

• Life Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 03:24 AM

hmm very interesting, please let us know if you get any more info on it.

#5 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 05:49 AM

I wasn't after information this time round; I'm peeved that they took parts of my comments out of context and rewrote them to be more favorable. So I sent the following to the contact addresses:

---------------
Gentlemen, I notice that you misquote me out of context, from writing at the Longevity Meme, on the following page of your site:

http://www.lifelinen..._inthenews.html

My original comments can be found at:

http://www.longevity...ws/?news_id=362

Please either use journalistic standards of quoting within context and referring back to source material, or remove this quote from your site. Bluntly, if you indeed have a product that works, you have no need to behave like the 20,000 yahoos in the "anti-aging" marketplace who don't. You'll get a lot further that way.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org/
---------------

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 09:17 AM

yep..

Life Line Nutraceuticals' Excerpt...

Posted Image

Original quote by Reason:

I'm normally wary of anti-aging drug announcements -- with good reason, since most are worthless -- but this one looks legitimate (found via KurzweilAI.net). Northestern University is reporting on research that claims remarkable success in an anti-oxidant related drug. The claims sound a little too good to be true, so we should definitely wait for peer review of the science before getting excited. Press announcements before peer review are usually a bad sign in this and most other scientific endeavors.

#7 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:20 AM

So they said:

------------------
Hello Reason,

Thanks for sharing your concern. I have compared the quotes and agree that the first part of the second line should have at least been included...perhaps the rest of the quote also for the full context, as you rightly point out. As the "disclaimer" points on the bottom of the page, this is actually the abridged quotesheet. The source quotesheet is 23 pages long with the exact same quotations (in long form), but seemed simply too laborious to post on the site. This is the "movie review" version. Unfortunately such condensing often distorts the original quotations.

Please accept my apologies. We can either include the full quote or remove it from the site, whichever you prefer. Please let me know.

We certainly don't wish to be seen in context with the other "anti-aging yahoos" out there. To the contrary, we pride ourselves on the fact that this product candidate has truly demonstrated its efficacy in cellular and pre-clinical studies. I appreciate your reminder to use caution.

As an aside, I greatly appreciate your fine online publication and advocacy for healthy life extension.

Please respond with your preference on the quote.

Best Regards,
Paul
------------------

and I said:

-----------------
Thank you for your prompt reply; I leave it up to you as to whether you use the full quote or remove it, but please do so promptly. All new groups entering the market with age-retarding products or advocacy are going to be judged harshly, unfortunately, and I value my reputation as an independent source. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors and hope to see more of you in the media in times to come.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
--------------------

and hopefully that will be that (me mollified, them educated).

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#8 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:26 AM

Nice, I wonder if they'd be interested in donating to the MMousePrize...

#9 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 11:55 PM

Good point. So I hit them up. Compressing the last two down into my reply:

-----------------------------
Comments inline below.

> I have temporaily pulled the quote from the website, pending your
> assessment of the following proposed replacement. CereMedix used
> to be housed at Northeastern University and it was Northeastern
> that actually released the original source information through a
> university news article. I would agree that most press is quite
> premature and very possibly just "hype." However the case here
> was that the host university was the initiator of the released
> info. Newspapers and other media picked up on Northeastern's
> release and reported accordingly. That being the case would the
> entire quote with the following clarification be ok, or would you
> prefer for us to just leave out the quote altogether? We
> certainly understand the need to protect reputation in this
> market that is filled with missleading or downright fraudulent
> product claims, and would again like to leave the decision to you.
> _______
>
> I'm normally wary of anti-aging drug announcements  with good
> reason, since most are worthless  but this one looks legitimate
> (found via KurzweilAI.net). Northeastern University is reporting
> on research that claims remarkable success in an anti-oxidant
> related drug. The claims sound a little too good to be true, so
> we should definitely wait for peer review of the science before
> getting excited. Press announcements before peer review are
> usually a bad sign in this and most other scientific endeavors."
>
> (Company clarification: please note that Northeastern released
> the original source information, not CereMedix or Lifeline.)
> ________

This is fine; you are welcome to use this full quote.

> Reason, it is true, however, that Lifeline has issued a couple of
> press releases since that time. Unfortunately, in this day and
> age, many legitimate companies also have to rely on pre-market
> exposure in order to help facilitate the attainment of the
> additional financing required to bring their products to market.
> Many potential investors look at press exposure as a validation
> of the credibility and worth of the technology. In our case for
> instance, we are close to finishing a $2 million private
> placement - the amount of funds that we estimated would be
> required to take CMX-1152 through human clinical trials and to
> market. It's quite an expensive proposition and these are hard
> monies to attain given the more difficult investor environment
> created by the "anti-aging yahoos" out there. So, press is
> sometime a necessary evil in order to realize the monies required
> to bring the product to the point of a more critical
> corroboration and peer review.

If I might be so bold as to suggest a use for a few of those dollars; have a look at the Methuselah Mouse organization (http://www.methuselahmouse.org). I'm currently assisting their CEO, Dave Gobel, in putting together a $15,000 challenge grant for the next stage in fund growth (we're about a third of the way there since starting two weeks ago, and expect to wrap it up fairly soon). A token donation couldn't hurt, and would associate your name with this worthy, well-regarded enterprise in the next round of press releases and beyond.

Beyond this, it strikes me that entering the prize competition might be a natural extension of some of the work you or Ceremedix (or Northeastern University, depending on the strength of your ties) would have to do anyway. The principal goal of the research prize is to draw attention to this area of legitimate research -- said attention will also focus on competing teams and their technologies. (For a current and very relevant analogy, look at the 7-year-old X Prize (www.xprize.org) and the media attention there -- that started as a $10,000 prize also, and a few of the same names are involved with the Methuselah Mouse effort). The Methuselah Mouse guys have been getting a fair amount of press attention since the kickoff (http://www.methusela...e.org/press.htm for a few selections), and this will only grow.

Let me know if you are interested in finding out more, and I can put you in touch with Dave Gobel or Dr. Aubrey de Grey.

> Thanks for your wishes regarding further press exposure. We do
> indeed hope to attain even more coverage for the CMX-1152 product
> candidate, but will always endeavor to be responsible in how we
> promote it. Obviously a little "marketing" is always necessary,
> but we hope that the product's main newsworthiness and attraction
> comes from its scientific support and endorsement by the
> sceitntific and healthcare communities.

I certainly hope to see good, working products driving out the snake oil, without detracting from the next steps in healthy life extension research. We'll see how it all pans out, but publicly expressing the line above can't hurt: it's a good differentiator. A sizable proportion of non-mainstream supplement purchasers are - like me - jaded, cynical, self-educated in the intricacies of the marketplace, and accustomed to research.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
----------------------------------------

We'll see how that goes.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#10 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 01:16 AM

Posted Image

Scientist returns to build long-life pill plant

SAM HALSTEAD
Nov 17

A SCIENTIST who has helped create a revolutionary anti-ageing pill has returned home to the Lothians in a bid to establish a new research and manufacturing plant.

Steve Parkinson’s United States company CereMedix has developed the pill, which is said to offset the ageing process and potentially allow people to live up to the age of 120.

Now the former Liberton schoolboy has flown into the Capital to meet Scottish Enterprise officials and investors to discuss setting up a plant to help make the pills. The proposed new centre, which Mr Parkinson hopes to set up at Roslin, in Midlothian, would make peptides, the active ingredient in the pill.

The 20,000 square foot facility, which has been earmarked for a site opposite the Pentlands Biopark, would also be used for cutting-edge research.

The Scottish base for CereMedix would be expected to pump millions of pounds into the local economy.

But any deal hinges on whether Mr Parkinson can secure incentives such as tax breaks to set up the centre at Roslin. The company is also looking at potential sites including one in the US state of Maryland.

Mr Parkinson, a Heriot-Watt University microbiology graduate, is in talks with investors about raising the necessary £12 million in venture capital to help build the facility. The project would see up to 50 scientists and support staff employed in Roslin at the beginning with the aim of growing to a 200-strong workforce.

The anti-ageing pill, known as 1152, which is expected to be made available over the counter, is designed to slow the deterioration of the body’s organs by boosting the level of anti-oxidants. The pill contains the protein ependymin, which stimulates the body into making its own supply of anti-oxidants - generally found in fruit, vegetables and tea and which help boost the immune system.

By repairing the body’s natural defences and stimulating disease-fighting enzymes, the pharmaceutical giant CereMedix hopes the pill will boost average life expectancy from 75 to 120 years.

The company claims the pill has the equivalent effect of eating 30lbs of fruit and vegetables every day.

Today, Mr Parkinson, who in the early 90s worked at PPL Therapeutics, the company behind Dolly the Sheep, said he was confident Midlothian could be the home for the centre.

He said: "I am Scottish, which has led me in this direction. It would be really great to bring it to Scotland. There is a labour pool and skill base here. But the incentives and the business logistics have got to be there. We are in the closing stages of talks with investors.

"Scottish Enterprise are very interested in what we are doing, and want to get the product. They have generally been very receptive.

"Scotland has positioned itself as a leader in the bio-tech industry, but it must pedal faster to attract world-class companies.

"It is tough going up against [competition from] Ireland. But Roslin could produce at least a tonne of the active ingredient. It would be a perfect transatlantic operation."

Mr Parkinson said the anti-ageing pill would help the human body boost its own protection system.

He said: "As we grow older, free radicals in our environment attack our self-repair systems and they stop performing as well as they did when we were young. We believe our product will restore these functions."

The company has also produced two prescription drugs to help the body fight chronic obstruction pulmonary disease and another to help the patient’s brain and heart deal with the trauma of surgery.

Pre-clinical trials on one of the lung disease drug are expected to start at Edinburgh University next month.

#11 WuShu

• 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 06:35 PM

I apoligize if this is old news, but I have found the original dissertation this all started from. It was a master's thesis at Worchester Polytechnic Institute. The author's name is Suchi Vipin Parikh. The easiest way to access it is thru Internet Explorer. Do search for the author by his name. I could only find the abstract (the rest is restricted) but the mechanism surrounding SOD increase seems to be in the mRNA for the protein synthesis of this enzyme. The agent used was a short synthetic peptide CMX-8933 (a proteolytic cleavage product of ependymin) and CMX9236 (an Ependymin Calmodulin combination peptide) that mimic full action of ependymin. Additionally, CMX -8933 is conjugated to BBB carrier DHA which may simply increase brain dopamine in the brain. That's all I could get out of what I read but would welcome comments or speculations.

#12 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 09:35 PM

Good job. Link below:

http://www.wpi.edu/P...0429103-132144/

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#13 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 03:25 AM

Here's a cross reference to an earlier thread on ependymin and Ceremedix that talks about CMX-8933.

http://imminst.org/f...t=0

#14 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 06:22 PM

Ceremedix.com is up and running finally...

Here's an excerpt from their product section which talks about CMX-1152.

Restoration Of Healthy Life Expectancy: Nutraceutical (ROHLEN) Product / CMX-1152

Oxidative stress is widely known to play a key role in the aging process as the body’s defenses against oxidative stress and free radicals decrease with age. A compound that could mitigate oxidative stress would play a significant role in improving "healthy life expectancy". Healthy life expectancy is a term used to describe general improvement in health, increased energy, reduction of incidence and severity of age related diseases typically experienced in the last ten years of life and general improvement in the quality of life in these latter years. Particularly in the United States and Western world, the last ten years of life tend to be plagued by various degenerative diseases and illnesses often associated with oxidative stress.

The average longevity in the Unites States is now 76.7 years, 79.4 for women and 73.9 for men. However, according to the newer measure being used by the World Health Organization and others to monitor global life expectancy and health, the US ranks 24th among the 191 WHO member countries in "healthy life expectancy". The average number of healthy years in the US is only 70 (72.6 for women and 67.5 for men), meaning that on average the last 10% of our lives are in many cases spent in poor health with a low quality of life. The trend toward assessing the health status of nations by healthy life expectancy reflects the growing emphasis on preventive measures to maintain an individual’s health for as long as possible to improve quality of life. CereMedix’s peptide technology for decreasing age-related deterioration, resulting from accelerating and cumulative oxidative damage has the potential to be of major benefit in this regard. One potential candidate for the healthy life expectancy has already been identified, CMX-1152. This is an orally available, naturally occurring peptide, which has demonstrated improved longevity in mice.

CereMedix has recently entered into a licensing agreement with Lifeline Nutraceuticals, Inc. (LNI). For information on LNI, please visit their website at www.lifelinenutraceuticals.com. LNI, in association with CereMedix, plans to complete animal and human testing of CMX-1152 in 2004. The marketing and distribution for this product will be conducted via partnering and licensing arrangements with multiple companies in order to address different geographic and commercial market segments.

They also plan to use CMX-1152 as a topical agent for cosmetic use.

I wonder if they'd be willing to join in competing for the Methuselah Mouse Prize?

#15 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:06 AM

More news on Lifeline Nutraceuticals and Protandim

http://www.9news.com...x?storyid=24198

DENVER - In just a few months, a company in Denver will launch a so-called “long life pill” that promises to not only make you live longer, but make you feel younger.

Lifeline Nutraceuticals says the pill is a scientific breakthrough and unlike anything ever achieved.

One anti-aging expert said if they can do what they say they can do, “they just might be onto something.” Is it a dream product or just a dream?

Three Denver businessmen say they have unraveled one of the biggest mysteries behind growing old. All it takes is one pill a day, and not only will you live to be about 120 years old, but you will also feel like a teenager all over again.

"It restores your system to its peak efficiency; something akin to when you were 18 years old,” Bill Driscoll, Lifeline Nutraceuticals, said.

And the businessmen say they have the science to back it.

"We have decades of scientific experience that we can draw upon - that's where our credibility comes from,” added Paul Myhill, Lifeline Nutraceuticals.

The pill was developed by Ceremedix, a pharmaceutical company based in Massachusetts.

Protandim increases the body’s production of three enzymes: Superoxide Dismutase, Catalase and Glutathion Peroxidase.

They are supposed to prevent gradual loss of antioxidants, which battle free radicals. Free radicals are what cause oxidative stress on cells, making rust like metal or brown like a cut apple.

The makers of Protandim say there’s nothing like it.

They say it will slow wrinkling and probably even reverse it.

But if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is, according to Denver’s leading authority on anti-aging.

"I don't think there's any single pill at this time that has the proof behind it that would lead one to believe that it would increase lifespan to 120 years in all individuals,” Dr. John Repine, Webb Warning Institute, said. “And that we can recommend that without saying there'd be some side effects that might be unwanted and unrecognized at this time."

Dr. Repine says it is potentially dangerous to interfere with the body’s natural balance. And until someone takes Protandim and actually lives to 120 years without harmful effects, the only sure way to beat the age game is to eat, sleep and live healthy.

Protandim will begin its final round of clinical trials this month, and then Lifeline Nutraceuticals plans to put Protandim on store shelves by July. It is being marketed as a supplement and not a drug, so the Federal Drug Administration standards aren’t as strict.

#16 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:29 AM

Inflammation and misguided immune function have long been suspectd to play a role in many of the diseases of aging with Alzeheimer no exception. A new study investigating the factors affecting Alzheimers implicates 'brain derived neurotrophic factor' (BDNF) in the inflammatory process in Alzheimers as it is known to have the ability to inhibit the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) molecules which are proteins on self cells which present peptides of foreign origin to the immune system's T-cells. If a peptide sitting on an MHC molecule is recognized as 'foreign' (and sometimes our own peptides can be seen that way triggering autoimmunity...), the T-cell initiates a process which eventually results in the death of the presenting cell.

In examining cortical sections from aged APP23 mice, both immunostaining and in-situ hybridization signaled a BDNF mRNA expression gradient that radiated out from amyloid plaques into surrounding plaque-free tissue. To verify these results using a different technique called laser microdissection, the researchers dissected individual plaques and subjected them to quantitative PCR (qPCR). They observed a sixfold and threefold higher BDNF mRNA expression within amyloid plaques and in the plaques’ vicinity, respectively. Immunostaining for glial markers and BDNF revealed BDNF-positive glial cells associated with plaques, and BDNF-negative glia in plaque-free areas, again indicating a gradient of BDNF expression. Furthermore, other BDNF-positive balloon-like structures resembled dystrophic axonal boutons. The authors point to glial cells as the main source of this plaque-associated BDNF gradient.

The association of BDNF is possibly of interest to those who have been following the story of ependymin/protandim/CMX-1152, which shares characteristics with BDNF.

From this Abstract

CMX-8933 promotes activation of transcription factor AP-1, a characteristic previously associated with the following full-length neurotrophic factors: nerve growth factor, neurotropin-3, and brain-derived neurotrophic factor.

Whether or not the pathway activated by CMX-8933/1152/ependymin/protandim binding to AP-1 is the same by which the inflammatory promoting activity of BDNF acts should be a question that should be answered before offering protandim to elderly people looking to rejuvenate their brains.

#17 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 02:13 PM

There seem to be more than a few changes to Lifeline's release of Protandim. There are some 'delays' in the commercialization of CMX-1152 it seems and Lifeline is starting to push a different formulation that does NOT include the protein developed by Ceremedix which are a 'blend of botanicals, amino acids.. etc etc.. ' They do not say what the 'key ingredients' of the new formulation are which 'enahnce' anti-oxidant enzymes (whatever that is supposed to mean) or give any references to any studies... go figure.

Their website has not been updated to reflect the new 'co-factor' formulation.

LIFELINE NUTRACEUTICALS, INC.
info@lifelinenutraceuticals.com
http://www.lifelinenutraceuticals.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Lifeline Nutraceuticals Develops Co-Factor Formulation for Enhancing the Body’s First Line of Defense against Oxidative Stress

Denver health and nutrition company adapts product strategies to more quickly market a unique antioxidant therapy that enhances Superoxide Dismutase, Catalase and Glutathione Peroxidase

DENVER, COLORADO, APR. 12, 2004. Lifeline Nutraceuticals, Inc. (Lifeline) has refocused it efforts in order to expediently bring a much-needed antioxidant formulation to market. The formulation has been dubbed, Protandim CF, and will be marketed within Lifeline’s Protandim brand category. The Protandim brand will eventually contain multiple products that are specifically designed to enhance the body’s primary defense mechanism against oxidative stress – the three antioxidant enzymes Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), Catalase (CAT), and Glutathione Peroxidase (GPX.)

Protandim CF is the result of months of extensive research and development by the company and associated scientists. Originally developed as a “Co-Factor” formulation to support and complement Lifeline’s initial Protandim (CMX-1152) product candidate (licensed from CereMedix, Inc.), Protandim CF now stands in its own right as “the better approach” for antioxidant therapy compared to current category offerings. Due to contractual and developmental issues/delays/changes with CereMedix, Lifeline has redirected its efforts to concentrate exclusively on the Protandim CF product. Talks are occurring between Lifeline and CereMedix, Inc. regarding the CMX-1152 candidate, but it is now estimated by Lifeline to be perhaps one year away from commercialization. Protandim CF, on the other hand, can be available within a few months and includes elements that have shown remarkable efficacy in positively impacting SOD, CAT and GPX levels.

Protandim CF will be unique in its approach of specifically targeting SOD, CAT and GPX in multiple areas of the body using a proprietary, patent-pending blend of botanicals, amino acids and various vitamins and minerals. Independent studies on the key ingredients have demonstrated the ability of these elements to enhance the antioxidant enzymes. In conjunction with a recognized formulation scientist, Lifeline has established a product candidate whose elements work in conjunction to cooperatively enhance SOD, CAT and GPX production. With SOD, CAT and GPX enhancement as its sole objective, Lifeline has determined the best combination and bio-available forms for maximum enzyme improvement.

Lifeline has instituted some key relationships in order to expedite the development and delivery of Protandim CF:

Lifeline has enlisted The Chemins Company (Chemins) of Colorado Springs, CO to finalize the formulation and produce the product under a contract manufacturing agreement. Chemins was founded in 1974 by James Cameron, an industry visionary determined to bring high-quality nutritional products to consumers. The 200-employee work-force operates in a 300,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility producing specialty formulas for a wide range of dietary supplements. Chemins was chosen because of its unparalleled formulary expertise, dedication to quality assurance, and high-volume manufacturing capabilities.

Lifeline is also pleased to announce that the Webb-Waring Institute for Cancer, Aging and Antioxidant Research (Webb-Waring), has invited Lifeline to partner with them to perform pre-clinical and human trials of Protandim CF. Webb-Waring, established in 1924, is an internationally-renowned research facility affiliated with the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. Webb-Waring’s mission is to conduct and teach biomedical research that improves the understanding, treatment and prevention of disease worldwide. Webb-Waring’s scientists have focused and coordinated their research efforts on investigating various aspects and consequences of the “imbalance of oxidants and antioxidants” – an abnormality which is a central underlying feature in many disorders. This multidisciplinary team of elite collaborating scientists is well known for its expertise in this area of study. The scientists have played a pivotal role in anti-aging research and have distinguished themselves in the global scientific community through numerous important discoveries regarding antioxidants. The institute has received several grants from the National Institute of Health and its chief funding organizations include the American Heart Association, American Diabetes Association and American Lung Association, among many others.

Bill Driscoll, President of Lifeline, states that “We are very encouraged by the involvement of these two highly-respected organizations as we look to take Protandim CF through clinical trials and into the marketplace.” He added that “through a lot of hard work and a little chance discovery, Lifeline now owns a very unique product with quite promising efficacy and market potential.”

Lifeline will also be announcing an additional key appointment to its management team within the next couple of days.

ABOUT CHEMINS…

Information about The Chemins Company can be found at:

http://www.chemins.com

ABOUT WEBB-WARING…

Information about the Webb-Waring Institute for Cancer, Aging and Antioxidant Research can be found at:

http://www.uchsc.edu...aring/webpages/

ABOUT LIFELINE NUTRACEUTICALS CORP…

Lifeline is a privately held, Denver-based company formed to manufacture, market and distribute nutraceutical supplements that promote “Healthy Life Expectancy.” Lifeline is presently focusing exclusively on unique antioxidant therapies under its Protandim brand. The therapies center on the body’s primary defense mechanism against oxidative stress – the natural antioxidant enzymes, Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), Catalase (CAT), and Glutathione Peroxidase (GPX). Discussions have commenced regarding license agreements and other collaborative arrangements in order to aggressively place its Protandim product candidates into the global marketplace.

For more information, please contact Bill Driscoll at info@lifelinenutraceuticals.com

The latest news updates are available at http://www.lifelinen...m/newsroom.html

"###"

#18 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:05 PM

Due to contractual and developmental issues/delays/changes with CereMedix, Lifeline has redirected its efforts to concentrate exclusively on the Protandim CF product.

The above quote is from the press release highlighted in the previous post. It indicates that the formulation of Protandim that is being developed for release to the public is NOT the same one which has been touted so widely and blasted all over the internet in news stories around the world.

How then is it that...

LIFELINE NUTRACEUTICALS is using these very media releases which describe the CMX-1152 peptide product, to promote this 'new' formulation that is strictly based on a botanical foundation http://www.protandim.com although the new product has nothing to do with CMX-1152?

The only reason I can think of is that they think that people are too stupid to notice that they are different products.

What an abysmal display of ethics in the marketplace.

I urge everyone to send them a quick note telling them exactly how they feel about the example they set for a 21st century company following the same snake-oil sales practices of millenia past.

#19 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:40 AM

Yup, shady, and since I mentioned it the other day on Fight Aging I'm seeing protandim is now the top search term in my logs - a lot of people out there searching on it...

http://www.fightagin...ives/000412.php
http://www.fightagin...ives/000306.php

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#20 circuitblue

• 44 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

I did a somewhat-thorough (but not complete) critique on the absurd marketing claims of CereMedix here: http://www.circuitbl.../ependymin.html

If protandim is coming from the same people that is quite infuriating, given the aburdly manipulative and retarded claims made on the protandim website. It might be a good idea to send out replete critiques of such stupid marketing and vacuous products to as many news agencies as possible--could bolster a positive image for sites like this and dissociate them as much as possible from these modern snake-oil salesmen.

#21 2yourhealth

• 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:46 PM

You people are a bunch of clowns, finally a company comes along with REAL scientists, REAL studies, with REAL results and you still bash and nit pick. The produst and science will speak for itself. Why do you think its been taking so long for this product to be released, huh?? If they were "snake oil salesmen" they could have threw some junk is a bottle 2 years ago and started selling it but ongoing research and human studies were continuing to bring the best possible product to market with the best possible results. I can't wait to see how foolish you all look when this is the "next big thing".

#22 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:55 PM

You created an account especially so you could give us this pathetic ad hominem attack, which is completely devoid of any meaningful argument?

Why the religious commitment to a drug that hasn't even been released yet?

Do you have a good reason to be so impressed with Protandim?

You got insider info?

#23 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:03 AM

If real scientists are doing real studies with real results then let the research speak for itself. It is premature to predict that this is the "next big thing". Goodness, when will people stop depending on faith and hype? In the Demon-Haunted World, Carl Sagan warned that "[s]kepticism must be a component of the explorer's toolkit, or we will lose our way. There are wonders enough out there without our inventing any." If Protandim is one of those wonders, then let it be shown by strict adherence to the tenants of science.

#24 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:14 AM

I sometimes come across as too optimistic and dogmatic when I talk about life extension and other technologies, so I cannot be too harsh with other people who do the same. It is a major flaw that requires vigilance.

I think one should be excited about trends but skeptical about any one particular solution, until that solution has been shown by science to be beneficial. Even if Protandim works as advertised, it is a long way from physical immortality. It would only be an interim solution working on a small portion of the larger problem. True physical immortality will not come from a "dietary supplement"...it will instead come from a battery of compounds, practices, and paradigm shifts, as well as a great deal more we cannot currently conceive of.

Be excited...just don't loose your reason in the process!

#25 2yourhealth

• 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:32 AM

You bring up some very valid points Enoosphere. I do still feel that Protandim has some tremendous potential as a life extender until such time technology can provide us with the magic solution to immortality. Per Lifeline's press release today they are going to be featured on Primetime Live on ABC this Thursday night, I know I'll be tuning in, you all should too since you at least have some kind of interest in this product.

#26 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:16 AM

So, lots of light and noise going on right now. Looks like Lifeline received funding, hence press is going on.

http://abcnews.go.co...print?id=814805

http://home.business...235&newsLang=en

Since I have hordes trampling over my website right now, I feel moderately obliged to revisit the issue and see what Lifeline is actually up to. First impressions are that they've completely ditched the old association with Ceremedix in favor of bringing in researchers who can back their claims for the new Protandim concotion - which may or may not be the same thing as that first intermediary product they were touting alongside Ceremedix's lab results for CMX-1152.

Kevin and company, feel like diving in to take a look at all this? Either way, it's all a storm in a teacup, relatively speaking. If it does what they say it does, it's up there with Ginko on the priority list; you know, useful, probably worth taking, but nothing to hold a revolution over. Science is capable of so much better, and yet here we all are wasting our time over trivialities. To everyone visiting this thread - take half a minute of your time to go and look at some REAL research aimed at greatly extending the healthy human life span:

http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/

The future of healthy life extension is not in pills, people - it's in real, serious, mainstream-style biotechnology and medicine.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#27 justinb

• 726 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:00 PM

The future of healthy life extension is not in pills, people - it's in real, serious, mainstream-style biotechnology and medicine.

F-CKING A! [thumb]

#28 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:53 PM

If Protandim is one of those wonders, then let it be shown by strict adherence to the tenants of science.

Er, that's tenents, right? Can also be referred to as tenets, a word more appropriate since its pronunciation is different, and hence one is less prone to spell it incorrectly on accident.

#29 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:03 PM

(enoosphere)
I sometimes come across as too optimistic and dogmatic when I talk about life extension and other technologies, so I cannot be too harsh with other people who do the same.  It is a major flaw that requires vigilance.

I think one should be excited about trends but skeptical about any one particular solution, until that solution has been shown by science to be beneficial.  Even if Protandim works as advertised, it is a long way from physical immortality.  It would only be an interim solution working on a small portion of the larger problem.  True physical immortality will not come from a "dietary supplement"...it will instead come from a battery of compounds, practices, and paradigm shifts, as well as a great deal more we cannot currently conceive of.

Be excited...just don't loose your reason in the process!

(reason)
If it does what they say it does, it's up there with Ginko on the priority list; you know, useful, probably worth taking, but nothing to hold a revolution over. Science is capable of so much better, and yet here we all are wasting our time over trivialities. To everyone visiting this thread - take half a minute of your time to go and look at some REAL research aimed at greatly extending the healthy human life span:

http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/

I couldn't agree more. We had a similar discussion about human growth hormone, in which certain people were upset because we are paying too little attention to it. I pointed out that this is because even if HGH works better than advertized, it'd only add a few years to lifespan. SENS aims much higher, looking to add decades at the least.

Don't get me wrong, a year or three of extra life will help some people bootstrap to immortality, but such small incremental gains pale in comparison to a program designed to add decades.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:49 PM

One thing that can be said is that these are the harbingers of a sea change in the attitude of regular people to the idea that anything can be done about aging at all. Often all we hear about is negatives. The more players there are delivering products which can be demonstrated to affect biomarkers of aging in a positive way, the more the 'death trance' people are in will be broken and that can only be good because raising the volume of demands for more effective interventions will be shortly behind.

I think cautious skepticism is warranted but the positive aspects of Lifeline's PR efforts can't be avoided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users