Adult Cell Self-Renewal Without Stem Cells

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

http://www.scienceda...91116103838.htm

Is the indefinite expansion of adult cells possible without recourse to stem cell intermediates? The team led by Michael Sieweke at the Centre d'immunologie de Marseille Luminy (Université Aix-Marseille 2 / CNRS / INSERM) has shown that this is the case by achieving the ex vivo regeneration of macrophages, specialized cells in the immune system, over several months.

I really feel that more than ever is going on right now advancing regenerative medicine......

#2 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

I'm sure we dont' even imagine what kind of accumulative process is happening, and this is very exciting.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

This looks like a promising discovery. ex vivo regeneration of macrophages :p

ex vivo regeneration of much of the immune system is probably highly worthwhile.

I'm a bit confused though. They inactivated some transcription factors in macrophages then put them back into the body. After that the macrophages themselves modified more transcription factors which made cells keep dividing?

If anyone has any more links or information to add to the rejuvepedia section on the immune system please let me know :p
http://www.rejuveped...e=Immune_system

Edited by caston, 26 November 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#4 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:52 PM

http://www.scienceda...91116103838.htm

Is the indefinite expansion of adult cells possible without recourse to stem cell intermediates? The team led by Michael Sieweke at the Centre d'immunologie de Marseille Luminy (Université Aix-Marseille 2 / CNRS / INSERM) has shown that this is the case by achieving the ex vivo regeneration of macrophages, specialized cells in the immune system, over several months.

I really feel that more than ever is going on right now advancing regenerative medicine......

I knew it! I knew from the first time I heard about stem cells (in the early 90's) that someone who figure out how to get these to regenerate without the stem cell intermediates. This work is ex vivo. I predict they will be able to do this in vivo in the near future. The implication is that rejuvenation ought to be comparatively cheap.

#5 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:25 AM

The implication is that rejuvenation ought to be comparatively cheap.

Cheap compared to the rising costs of healthcare with an aging population.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#6 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:48 AM

The implication is that rejuvenation ought to be comparatively cheap.

Cheap compared to the rising costs of healthcare with an aging population.

No, I mean cheap compared to if you have to biopsy, then cultivate and convert the cells in a petri dish, then transplant them back into you. This breakthrough suggests that it should be possible to "turn on" stem cell regeneration with some kind of pill (growth factor, enzymes, etc.).

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users