• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Call for content

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:53 PM

This is a call for feature articles to appear on the Immortality Institute front page.

What I have in mind are 'popular culture' articles that will have wide appeal, although more hard science-type features will get consideration. Anything related to life extension, technology, supplements, cryonics, artificial intelligence, ...etc would be good.

Original articles are the best, but if you have something from the recent past, please consider sharing.

All submitted articles will be evaluated by an editorial team before being posted on the front page.

Please let me know if you have content suitable for this purpose by sending me a PM or email. Or simply upload your work to this forum. Your writing deserves to be seen by a wider life extension audience.

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

I doesn't have to be the most spectacular tome ever written. If you have a good blog post from the past and you think it deserves a new look, let me know.

#3 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

OK, what if if you could get $25 for your article? Any takers?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:05 AM

I'd do it for free if I thought I had writing skills. I'll give it some thought.

- Tracy

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:40 AM

Ide do it for free too if I thought I had writing skills. I like about 30 percent of my blogs as far as kind of good goes. If any of these fit the bill, or not, then please do let me know. Here are three examples of ones I kind of like for a purpose like this. My favorite is #3.

1. Father time
http://blog.myspace....4E9167103204794

2. Farther than the moon
http://blog.myspace....4E9167103204794

3. Over population is not the life extensionists problem, it’s the non life extensionists.
http://blog.myspace....C9F982957623844

#6 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:46 AM

Thanks for your offerings BP.

Anyone else have anything they have written recently regarding life extension that you would like to see on the front page of Imminst?

#7 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Anyone else have anything they have written recently regarding life extension that you would like to see on the front page of Imminst?

You can use anything from my blog if you like. They are from the Longevity Dividend course. If I get $25.00 for any of them please donate it to the Mprize.
Thanks.
~Jimmy

Edited by Jimmy, 21 August 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#8 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:05 PM

Jimmys blogs seem to fit the bill to to me. Does anybody else here like the blogs and think they would work well? Please do comment on his blogs. Are the well written and organized? Do they seem like popular culture and appeal to a mainstream audience?

#9 till

• Validating/Suspended
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for your offerings BP.

This may come rather late, but since 'Emortalist Practice' is now finished, maybe some chapters would stir things up. :)

#10 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

Jimmys blogs seem to fit the bill to to me. Does anybody else here like the blogs and think they would work well? Please do comment on his blogs. Are the well written and organized? Do they seem like popular culture and appeal to a mainstream audience?

I just checked out all the posts that were there.

The skeletons of great articles are there, but that ready-to-publish in Men's Health, The New Yorker, or Popular Science vibe, that I believe you are looking for, can be obtained with a little spit and polish.

I find especially suitable the post titled 'Disability and Aging in the City of the Future'.
It embodies the big three: useful, practical, and entertaining. It is also hopeful and anticipatory.
It has the engaging intro, body, conclusion structure with gentle twists and food-for-thought aphorisms, that work so well in GQ, Wired and most other mass consumer periodicals. It also cites a WHO list that could be an interesting sidebar. I would just flesh it out a little with a few vivid examples and a bit more lively prose meanderings and it should be perfect.

The post 'Medical Care and the Six Sigma' is well written, but is a bit too diatribe-ish for front page publication.
'Social Your Security' is a tiny bit less embittered, but, it is still not what I believe the ImmInst is looking for for its front page. There is always a place for hard-nosed commentary, unapologetic blogging, and even a little whining, just not on the front page.

Ageless Future is the germ of a good post, but needs an infusion of content, force, and purpose, to sound like more than sketch.

Good stuff.
Good luck. :)

#11 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:16 PM

I have a post about green tea's effect on the formation of AGEs, which I didn't find much info on other people's blogs. Might not be what you're looking for, but here's the link if you want to check it out:

http://inhumanexperi...on-of-ages.html

#12 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the idea JLL! It is not exactly what I envision for a front page feature article, but close. A comprehensive Green Tea article covering its history and current use, while linking to and quoting some Imminst discussions would be ideal. Something that is somewhat original and in-depth.

#13 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

I just checked out all the posts that were there.

The skeletons of great articles are there, but that ready-to-publish in Men's Health, The New Yorker, or Popular Science vibe, that I believe you are looking for, can be obtained with a little spit and polish.

I find especially suitable the post titled 'Disability and Aging in the City of the Future'.
It embodies the big three: useful, practical, and entertaining. It is also hopeful and anticipatory.
It has the engaging intro, body, conclusion structure with gentle twists and food-for-thought aphorisms, that work so well in GQ, Wired and most other mass consumer periodicals. It also cites a WHO list that could be an interesting sidebar. I would just flesh it out a little with a few vivid examples and a bit more lively prose meanderings and it should be perfect.

The post 'Medical Care and the Six Sigma' is well written, but is a bit too diatribe-ish for front page publication.
'Social Your Security' is a tiny bit less embittered, but, it is still not what I believe the ImmInst is looking for for its front page. There is always a place for hard-nosed commentary, unapologetic blogging, and even a little whining, just not on the front page.

Ageless Future is the germ of a good post, but needs an infusion of content, force, and purpose, to sound like more than sketch.

Good stuff.
Good luck. :)

Thank you for your reviews! I can't learn how to write better if I never get replies. I wasn't trying to be so bitter in any blog, just sarcastic at government or "deathest". Like the British comedies which are sarcastic at life in general, "Just at teatime! Oh,dear", looks down and shakes head :) But I can write in other more serious styles, I just don't want to make it sound boring like a textbook, that would never help the cause of life extension ("Life, don't tell me about life"... Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... Sarcastic and funny!)

For Front page work, what is Imminst looking for? Wordcount (500, 1000, or 2000 words?,and what type of photos,or artwork (jpeg?), What style is best? The front page sets the tone of the rest of the site.

#14 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

I'll take a look at your blog posts Jimmy. I am sure we can get something great for the front page.

You are correct on the type/feel of article I was looking for for the front page.

#15 williamhessian

• 86 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

I would love for all of you to check out my article Immortality is Not for Us

Which I think you will all enjoy reading.

I am trying to get some more serious debate drumming about the politics of immortality and how to move forward. Please leave comments and links on my blog and pass the link around to more people.

I am also doing some drawings for Broken Portal about immortality and am an engaged (although quiet) member.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users