- - - - -

DHA Study - Optimal dose is 200 mg per day

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

http://www.futurepun...ves/006499.html

anyone see this study in fasebj ? any thoughts?

#2 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, I saw that a couple of days ago. It's interesting.

But does it necessarily mean the optimal dose of DHA is 200 mg? I took it as meaning the optimal dose is somewhere between 200-1600mg (if I read the asbtract right).

As after the 1600 mg mark was reached, Urinary isoprostane increased.

But what about levels between 200mg and 1600mg? Would 400mg or 800mg offer more benefits than 200mg? At least it does show that large doses of DHA probably isn't a good thing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

idk, i'd like to read a copy. it seemed like the term "optimal" might have meant "required". that is 200 mg is the bare minimum you want per day to reach the threshold of reduced isoprostanes.

i wasn't sure though.

#4 12 String

• 58 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

idk, i'd like to read a copy. it seemed like the term "optimal" might have meant "required". that is 200 mg is the bare minimum you want per day to reach the threshold of reduced isoprostanes.

i wasn't sure though.

Wouldn't this depend on how long you've been eating the correct ratio of omega-3 / omega-6? Consider:

Arab, L. (2003). "Biomarkers of fat and fatty acid intake." J Nutr 133 Suppl 3: 925S-932S.
Fat and fat-soluble substances have the advantages over other nutrients of a long half-life and readily accessible storage depots (in the absence of starvation, undernutrition or eating disorders).

Link here
Might not someone who has been consuming a lot of fish or flax oil might need less to reach or exceed this threshold than someone who has been eating (non-veggie) burgers as the primary fat source?

Anyone know what the half life of bodyfat is?

#5 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

A couple of other thoughts:

Did the participants in this study take fish oil with alpha tocopherol? There have been studies using fish oil without vitamin E, which resulted in increased oxidation at a much greater rate as compared to when it's included.

Would vitamin E/antioxidants reduce or eliminate excess urinary isoprostanes even at the 1600mg/daily mark?

What about EPA? I believe it oxidizes at a slower rate than DHA, but at what dose does it affect isoprostanes?

And yeah, diet would seemingly matter too, although it didn't play a part in this particular study, I think. If you eat a lot of fish daily, your DHA intake would of course be higher than if you didn't.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 12 String

• 58 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

If you eat a lot of fish daily, your DHA intake would of course be higher than if you didn't.

Actually I didn't mean to say that your intake would be higher, but your existing body fat might have a higher percentage of DHA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users