Photo
- - - - -

EUKARION-134, A new, noble AntiOxidant

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Eva Victoria

• 887 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:24 AM

Free Radicals: Oxygen has been known since the 18th century to be poisonous. The toxicity of oxygen is due to its partially reduced forms called free radicals or Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS). ROS play a key role in all aging theories. The first who spoke about the relation of ROS and aging was Dr Denham Harman (Nobel 1995), in November 1954. The biology of ROS, a relatively new branch, studies the interaction between living matter and ROS.

A free radical is a molecule, atom or molecular fragment, which contains an unpaired electron in its outer orbital shell. All free radicals are extremely reactive and seek out to acquire an electron in any possible way. In the process of acquiring an electron, the free radicals attach themselves to other molecules thereby modifying them biochemically. However, as free radicals steal an electron from other molecules, they convert them into free radicals and breakdown or alter their chemical structure. Normally, ROS are produced by mitochondria and they are byproducts of cell metabolism. ROS are also generated by external factors, such as smoking and UVR. The most important ROS are:

a) superoxide anion (O2)

b) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)

c) hydroxyl radical (OH). The most dangerous and reactive among them is (OH).

The formation is based on the following reactions:

a) Fenton reaction (1894)

b) Haber Weiss reaction (1934)

Obviously, the key factor in both reactions is H2O2.

The ROS are damaging the cell membranes. This induces the release of pro-inflammatory mediators that will ultimately lead to the activation of MMPs, capable of gradually degrading the ECM. The final result will be the loss of integrity, firmness and elasticity of the skin.

Furthermore, ROS are damaging proteins and DNA, leading to direct cellular damage and, eventually, carcinogenesis. To protect against damage from ROS caused during the normal course of cellular function, biological systems have evolved antioxidant enzymes such as superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and GSH peroxidase. The SOD blocks O2 and forms H2O2. In turn, H2O2 is degraded by CAT, thus preventing the formation of OH.

In both chronological aging and photoaging, cells produce excessive amounts of free radicals. Additionally, in aging skin and in skin exposed to UVR, naturally occurring antioxidants are in short supply. From this point of view, topical application of antioxidants has been recently suggested as a preventive therapy for skin photoaging and UV-induced cancer.

Description: EUK-134 is a novel, synthetic, low-molecular weight, water-soluble, cell-permeable, salen-manganese complex that exhibits the catalytic actions of both SOD and CAT. Thus, EUK-134 removes O2 and H2O2 and, hence, protects the cells, ECM and DNA against injury caused by the ROS including (EUK-134 catalytically eliminates H2O2 and stops the Haber-Weiss and Fenton reactions. This results in the inhibition of OH formation). Compared with proteinaceous antioxidant enzymes, EUK-134 has a better stability and bioavailability, whereas its activity is not affected by UVR. (It could be interesting to add here the self-regenerating feature of EUK-134 since this is to me a differentiating point).

One of the main characteristics that distinguishes EUK-134 from other anti-oxidants is its capability of regenerating itself during the free radical scavenging procycles. This exceptional property relies in the molecular organization of the molecule itself. Indeed, in a way similar to endogenous SOD, EUK-134 has a Mn (manganese) atom as the active catalytic site.

During the interaction with ROS, the Mn atom undergoes several redox cycles before returning to its original valence state Mn(III) and being ready for another anti-oxidant reaction. In this way, the efficacy of EUK-134 will not rapidly vanish as it is often the case with other anti-oxidants.

General: In vitro and in vivo studies have shown that EUK-134 prevents UVR-induced DNA damage, ROS-associated tissue injury and lipid peroxidation. Thus, it can protect the skin against the ROS-dependent deleterious effects of chronic UVR exposure: photoaging and photocarcinogenesis.

Efficacy Tests / Clinical Trials: Unlike many cosmeceutical ingredients, there is a great deal of research supporting the use and the efficacy of EUK-134 as a protective agent against ROS-associated tissue injury:

According to an in vitro trial, EUK-134 protects primary human keratinocytes against oxidative stress and increases cell survival after UVB irradiation.

In an in vitro study, EUK-134 provided about 50 to 70% protection against various parameters of cell damage and markers of oxidative stress.

In an open label, in vivo, clinical trial, EUK-134 reduced the formation of peroxide lipids after UVA exposure.

In an in vivo clinical trial, EUK-134 reduced the UVB-induced erythema by 46%.

(The only commercially available products are Estee Lauder: DayWear Plus Lotion SPF15 and Clinique: Continous Resque AntiOxidant Moisturizer (for 3 diff. skin types). Estee Lauder Companies have interests in the Boston based firm (EUKARION) who developed this cathalitique antioxidant fo medical use (Parkinson and Alzerheimer disese).

http://www.nature.co...ml#figure-title

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:41 AM

Wow, I didn't realize that EUK-134 was on the market in any form. That's pretty cool. How much do these products cost, and do you think they are worth using? (As opposed to only using a good sunscreen.) Do you have any sense of what one might expect in terms of noticeable effects on skin?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

Wow, I didn't realize that EUK-134 was on the market in any form. That's pretty cool. How much do these products cost, and do you think they are worth using? (As opposed to only using a good sunscreen.) Do you have any sense of what one might expect in terms of noticeable effects on skin?

Hi Niner!
The best (and cheapest) is Clinique: Cont. Rescue Antiox. Moist. 50ml, $39,50. Proper packadging (double lined plastic tube) for protection of the active ingr.
Why they are worth using is because a well formulated sunscreen will only stop 55% of UVA induced free-radical damadge; and the theory behind it is that a chalating/continously renewable antioxidant complex will be able to neutralize some of the remaining oxidants that could harm your DNA.
It should always be used with a good sunscreen!
Noticable effects are more moisture in skin and slower aging. Dramatic effects cannot be seen before many years of every day use (with a sunscreen), I`m afraid. But as you get older your skin will be still glowing, less lines, no miscolorations and generally a younger looking appearance. (Of course it all depends on how you treat and have been treating your skin. But generally giving a break from the sun and using a high SPF+UVA prot.; avoiding sun exposure can already give your skin strength to be able to repair most of its previous damage by itself!)
(On what sunscreens to buy: view my article dated Febr 2. Sunscreens Recommended)

Hope, I could be of help! ;)

#4 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:24 AM

Great post on Eukarion Eva! All your posts are very informative, how long can you keep up with this? You´re going to get exhausted ;)

For those who prefer lighter formulations I only want to add that the SOD-mimetic Eukarion-134 [ethylbisiminomethylguaiacol manganese chloride] can also be found in two serums made by the Estee Lauder company: Prescriptives super line preventor extreme and Estee Lauder Advanced night concentrate (not the regular night repair). I have a bottle of the super line preventor and I like it very much (I prefer the texture of serums generally).

Prescriptives

Superline Preventor Extreme

NGREDIENTS: WATER\AQUA\EAU [] BUTYLENE GLYCOL [] METHYL GLUCETH-20 []
PEG-75 [] GLYCERETH-26 [] DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL [] PEG-8 DIMETHICONE []
ASCORBYL TOCOPHERYL MALEATE [] ETHYLBISIMINOMETHYLGUAIACOL MANGANESE
CHLORIDE [] ACETYL HEXAPEPTIDE-8 [] DECARBOXY CARNOSINE HCL []
AMINOGUANIDINE HCL [] CITRUS RETICULATAE PEEL EXTRACT [] ACETYL GLUCOSAMINE
[] HUMULUS LUPULUS (HOPS) EXTRACT [] VITIS VINIFERA (GRAPE) SEED EXTRACT []
SELAGINELLA TAMARISCINA (SPIKE MOSS) EXTRACT [] POLYGONUM CUSPIDATUM ROOT
EXTRACT [] ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) EXTRACT [] PUNICA GRANATUM
(POMEGRANATE) JUICE EXTRACT [] CURCUMA LONGA (TURMERIC) ROOT EXTRACT []
SODIUM GRAPE SEED EXTRACT PHOSPHATE [] PERILLA OCYMOIDES SEED EXTRACT []
CITRUS GRANDIS (GRAPEFRUIT) PEEL EXTRACT [] PLANKTON EXTRACT [] CREATINE []
AMINOPROPYL ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE [] LINOLEIC ACID [] YEAST
EXTRACT\FAEX\EXTRAIT DE LEVURE [] OLETH-3 PHOSPHATE [] LINOLENIC ACID []
CYCLOPENTASILOXANE [] OLETH-3 [] ADENOSINE PHOSPHATE [] HYDROGENATED
POLYISOBUTENE [] OLETH-5 [] DIMETHICONE [] CAFFEINE [] TOCOPHERYL ACETATE
[] POLYSILICONE-11 [] SODIUM PCA [] CAPRYLYL GLYCOL [] PPG-6
DECYLTETRADECETH-30 [] ALLYL METHACRYLATES CROSSPOLYMER [] PEG/PPG-20/20
DIMETHICONE [] GLYCERIN [] DEXTRIN [] SODIUM HYALURONATE [] MANNITOL []
ANTHEMIS NOBILIS (CHAMOMILE) [] UREA [] LECITHIN [] POLYQUATERNIUM-51 []
NORDIHYDROGUAIARETIC ACID [] CYCLODEXTRIN [] ACETYL CARNITINE HCL []
TREHALOSE [] ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE [] XANTHAN GUM [] HEXYLENE GLYCOL
[] POTASSIUM CARBOMER [] CARBOMER [] DISODIUM EDTA [] BHT [] PHENOXYETHANOL
[] YELLOW 5 (CI 19140) [] GREEN 5 (CI 61570) [] RED 33 (CI 17200) <ILN32627>

Estee Lauder Advanced night repair concentrate

INGREDIENTS: W ATER\AQUA\EAU (] CYCLOPENTASILOXANE [] BUTYLENE GLYCOL (] BIFJDA r'ERMENT LYSATE [] BIS-PEG-18 METHYL ETHER DIMETHYL SILANE [] GLYCERIN [] PEG-60 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL (] SILICA (] METHYL GLUCETH-20 [] TOCOPHERYL ACETATE [] GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) SEED EXTRACT [] OLEA EUROP ABA (OLIVE) FRUIT EXTRACT [J TRITICUM VULGAT{E (WHEAT BRAN) EXTRACT [] .POL YGONUM CUSPIDATUM ROOT EXTRACT [] VTTIS VINTFERA (GRAPE) SEED EXTRACT [] SELAGINELLA TAMARISCINA (SPIKE MOSS) EXTRACT [] COLA NITlDA (K.OLA) NUT EXTRACT [] HUMULUS LUPULUS (HOPS) EXTRACT [] ASCORBYL TOCOPHERYL MALEATE [] NORDIHYDROGUAIARETIC ACID [] CITRT RETICULATAE PEEL EXTRACT [] PUNTCA GRANATUM (POMEGRANATE) JUICE EXTRACT [] CHOLESTEROL [] SEA WHIP EXTRACT [] SODIUM HY ALURONA TE [] MICROCOCCUS L YSA TE [] CAFFEINE (] AL TEROMONAS FERMENT EXTRACT [] SODIUM RNA [] P ANTETIllNE [] ARABillOPSIS THALIANA EXTRACT (] YEAST EXTRACT\F A EX\EXTRAIT DE LEV.URE [] ETHYLBISIMINOMETHY LGUAIACOL MANGANESE (~HLORIDE [] ANTHEM.lS NOBILIS (CHAMOMILE) [] LINOLEIC ACill [] LECITHIN [] HYDROGENATED LECITHIN (] ROSMARlNUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) EXTRACT [] LINOLENIC ACID [J XAN1~HAN GUM [J POI..! YMETHYLSILSESQUIOX.ANE (] TROMETHAMINE [] CAR.BOMER [] DIMETHICONE (] CAPRYL Y L GLYCOL [] LAURYLDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN [J POT ASSTUM SUI..F ATE [] CYCLODEXTRIN [] PEG-9 DIMETHlCONE [] SIMETHICONE [] CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRlGL YCERlDE [] DISODIUM EDTA [] BHT [] POTASSIUM SORBA TE [] PHENOXY ETHANOL [] CARAMEL [] TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891) <ILN30730>

Edited by fredrik, 08 February 2008 - 12:37 AM.

#5 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

Thank You, Fredrik! ;) Your posts are very good too!!!
BTW, E. Lauder Co. says they incorporated EUK-134 in 2 products: Day Wear Lotion SPF15 (E. Lauder) and Cont. Rescue Antiox. Moisturizer (Clinique); I`ll definetely look into the Advanced Night Repair Concentrate (E. Lauder)!

(edited by Matthias: full quote deleted)

Edited by Matthias, 16 April 2008 - 11:34 AM.

#6 LSS

• 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:27 AM

Hello,

New to the community here!

The discussion about Eukarion-134 is very intriguing. I may have to go and purchase one the Clinique or Prescriptives product. I have to add that I came across two products that also contain Eukarion-134: Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Mask which also contains ferulic acid and Undamage Deep Reconstructive Serum. The latter product intrigues me because it seems to have a high concentration plant antioxidants and inflammatories – for example willow herb is the send ingredient after water – and the formulation seems simple, there isn't a million ingredients like there are in Esteé Lauder products which are most likely in miniscule amounts. But it's $$$! And the marketing or designated audience is a bit strange since it's it's an antioxidant serum targeted toward smokers or ex-smokers. These people probably need the most help anyways...

There may be more products out there with Eukarion-134, though I initially thought that EL owned the rights to using it in their products and their sub-companies.

http://www.drugstore...gizing_mask.htm
[Link removed at the request of the manufacturer]

Bliss Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Mask 3.4 oz
Water (Aqua), Methyl Perfluorobutyl Ether, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coco Glucoside, Glycerin, PEG 7 Glyceryl Cocoate, CyclopentaSiloxane, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Polyquaternium 37, Dimethicone PEG 7 Phosphate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium PCA, Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Gynostemma Pentaphyllum Extract, Panthenol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Sodium Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Potassium Chloride, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Potassium Sorbate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Citric Acid, Mica, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Ferulic Acid, Ethylbisiminomethylguaiacol Manganese Chloride, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Tocopherol, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Red 40 (CI 16035), Yellow 5 (CI 119140)

Undamage Deep Reconstructive Serum 1 oz

Deionized Water, Epilobium Angustifolium Extract, Chrysanthellum Indicum Extract, Alteromonas Ferment Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Asparagopsis Armata Extract, Sorbitol, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Hydroxymethyl Cellulose, Xanthan Gum, PEG-8 Dimethicone, PEG-8 Ricinoleate, Ethylbisiminomethylguaiacol Manganese Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyglycerin, Tetrasodium EDTA.

LSS

(edited by Matthias: 30 links deleted)

Edited by YOLF, 18 February 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#7 nbourbaki

• 106 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

I'd like to add EUK-134 to my Skin Actives CHAS serum. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a small amount?

Thanks

#8 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

I'd like to add EUK-134 to my Skin Actives CHAS serum. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a small amount?

I doubt that is possible, but hopefully Eva or one of the other skin experts will chime in and confirm.

I see Hannah rejected the idea of adding it... saying CHAS is already well rounded. I really like Hannah's CHAS ( & LMC too). Hannah has added her own antioxidant (glutaredoxin) in the v2 of CHAS. Just going out to re-order now.

Edited by frankbuzin, 21 April 2008 - 03:05 PM.

#9 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Am afraid it is not possible to purchase EUK-134 without the permission of Estee Lauder companies. :(

I doubt that is possible, but hopefully Eva or one of the other skin experts will chime in and confirm.

I see Hannah rejected the idea of adding it... saying CHAS is already well rounded. I really like Hannah's CHAS ( & LMC too). Hannah has added her own antioxidant (glutaredoxin) in the v2 of CHAS. Just going out to re-order now.

#10 nbourbaki

• 106 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

Yes, Hannah rejected the idea for CHAS. I've been using her products for about a month now and I'm very happy with the results. Thanks to this forum, I've been using LA ROCHE-POSAY Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme sunscreen and I was hoping to augment that with the EUK-134 enhanced CHAS.

Am afraid it is not possible to purchase EUK-134 without the permission of Estee Lauder companies. :(

Cayman Chemical has EUK-134 for $46.00 for 10mg. I might give that a try.

#11 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

Cayman Chemical has EUK-134 for $46.00 for 10mg. I might give that a try.

I was just there looking at the price of ASC-J9 (topic on another board)... never thought to look for EUK 134.

#12 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

DS Laboratories' Revita Shampoo also contains Euk-134.

#13 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

Here are some scientific investigations on EUK-134.

Attached Files

#14 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:36 PM

There is also EUK-189 http://morelife.org/...ms/EUK-189.html which some people on here take orally, its classified as a research chemical right now but there are grey market sources.

Edited by edward, 27 June 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#15 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

True. It is made by the same company (Eukarion) and it is indeed made as an oral drug. It is effective (according to research done by the company) among others against Parkinson disease.

There is also EUK-189 http://morelife.org/...ms/EUK-189.html which some people on here take orally, its classified as a research chemical right now but there are grey market sources.

#16 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

Not true. Eukarion-134 is not invented by or used exclusively by EL companies. They buy it from Atrium like all other cosmetic companies. It´s a chemical distributed by Atrium Innovation.

For a list of other brands that use Eukarion-134 see:

http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=247801

Edited by Fredrik, 28 June 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#17 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

EL comp. used to own the Boston based company EUKARION and produced it there. They sold the company this year. I don't know whether they still buy EUK-134 from this company or from somebody else.

ELC did not invent EUK-134! (And I never said that either).

Fredrik, Here is a study I was mentioning earlier when we had our little discussion about VitC+E compared to EUK-134. (Please see the bottom of page4).

Not true. Eukarion-134 is not invented by or used exclusively by EL companies. They buy it from Atrium like all other cosmetic companies. It´s a chemical distributed by Atrium Innovation.

For a list of other brands that use Eukarion-134 see:

http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=247801

Attached Files

Edited by Eva Victoria, 29 June 2008 - 10:41 AM.

#18 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:17 PM

Eva, Fredrik never claimed you said that ELC invented EUK-134. However, you DID say:

Regardless of Eukarion's history, your statement that it's not possible to purchase EUK-134 without ELC's permission is incorrect at THIS point in time. Right?

#19 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Eva, Fredrik never claimed you said that ELC invented EUK-134. However, you DID say:

Regardless of Eukarion's history, your statement that it's not possible to purchase EUK-134 without ELC's permission is incorrect at THIS point in time. Right?

Yes, it is correct what you are saying. EL Companies have recently sold the company Eukarion. It is now owned by Proteome Systems. For more info please see the company's own website: eukarion.com

To purchase EUK-134 without being in the business I do not know whether and how you can get hold of it.
Maybe somebody here has some ideas?

#20 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

If you look at the post by nbourbaki in April, you will see it can also be purchased from Cayman Chemical. Of course purchasing it for research, and purchasing/licensing it for use in a commercial product are probably not the same.

Search usenet and you'll even find 8 year old posts from Aubrey de Grey talking about EUK compounds. Here is one: Eukarion, BUk Institute, Euk-8 & Euk-134 Options

From a quick search:

As of 2005, Eukarion, Inc. (founded 1991, in Boston USA, by Dr. Bernard Malfroy-Camine) is part of the Australian biotech company Proteome Systems (founded 1999, by Dr. Keith Williams).

Canadian-based Atrium Innovation has the rights for the manufacture and sale of EUK-134. The first cosmetic product on the market to use EUK-134 was by Estée Lauder cosmetics. Initially this may have been an exclusive right (at least ELC's marketing material states so), and maybe that is why some people believe it to be from ELC directly.

http://www.bizjourna...13/daily57.html
http://www.biospace....tityId=19835220
http://www.proteomes...ple/management/
http://www.biotechno...;companyid=1557

Edit: Links

Edited by frankbuzin, 29 June 2008 - 08:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users