• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

"Hardcore Immortalist" Saul Kent

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:02 AM

An interesting first hand account in three parts. I think the uploader came up with the irreverant Youtube title.

#2 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:57 AM

Never heard of Saul Kent, but this seems like a pretty cool interview. Thanks for posting lunarsolarpower!

#3 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:30 AM

.... but this seems like a pretty cool interview. Thanks for posting lunarsolarpower!

Yes, thank you, lunarsolarpower.

Never heard of Saul Kent,...

Saul Kent, a very major figure in Life Extension for more than thirty years.

A co-founder of The Life Extension Foundation.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:56 AM

Wow this is freakin awsome, its so empowering to see this kind of passion and dedication coming out of more people.

I try to promote and focus and work with the people who are mainly for indefinite life extension for us in our life times, and not so much supplements and cryonics, although I do love both. So, I know Kent was behind LEF, but I dont recall knowing about the connection with the Alcor and Timeship parts.
This leaves me with a few questions. One, does Saul Kent ever come to imminst? And two, something that really puzzles me now, why in the hell doesnt lef magazine promote alcor?

When I first got the magazines I wondered why they didnt advertise imminst, mf, etc.. I finally wrote it off as lef being more for supplements and increase of average lifespan than indefinite life extension. Now that I see just how serious Kent really is, Alcor work, and considers self "hard core immortalist", Im more confused than ever, I know supplements are a great help to the meme, but come on, 100% supplements with out even a whiff of alcor or imminst? How is that going to get through to anybody? That would be like Imminst taking out everything except for the supplements sections.

They dont have to advertise imminst, but they can at least do places like alcor, Methuselah Foundation, LifeStar, etc... And actually, Im pretty sure Mind said they agree to advertise ImmInst. Maybe we should ask them to allow us to submit up to 5 pages of content per issue or something like that. We could then see if we can get Reason, and SENS Foundation and others to contribute to that. These magazines are going out to houses all around the world, and we could help push them more, this seems like an untapped gold mine with our name on it that we've been sitting on for years now.

#5 Berserker

• 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

Isn’t this guy the same who predicted the singularity in 1974 for the 2010? lol

#6 lunarsolarpower

• Topic Starter
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:59 AM

brokenportal, I think you'll find that almost all the serious life extension people throughout the 1960s, 70s and 80s were involved with cryonics to some extent. Really until the human genome project began to near completion and Aubrey formulated his approach there wasn't much else apart from nanotech to focus on.

Now that I see just how serious Kent really is, Alcor work, and considers self "hard core immortalist", Im more confused than ever, I know supplements are a great help to the meme, but come on, 100% supplements with out even a whiff of alcor or imminst? How is that going to get through to anybody?

My impression was that those guys see LEF as their day job and figure they can do more good earning money to put towards research on projects they feel will actually bring about real results rather than risk marginalizing themselves with too radical of a message.

#7 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:14 AM

Just found out that next year Saul Kent will begin construction of his 6 acre timeship! Apparently it will be the fort know of cryonics. Can't wait to see it finished :)

#8 lunarsolarpower

• Topic Starter
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:05 AM

Just found out that next year Saul Kent will begin construction of his 6 acre timeship! Apparently it will be the fort know of cryonics. Can't wait to see it finished :)

Have you seen the book?

#9 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for sharing the video, I'd not seen it and it was fun to hear the first person account from Saul, I'd only read about the Dora Kent case and heard others talk about it first person. Saul Kent is very nice, and has been a pillar of the cryonics community, I wish him the best of luck in all his projects. I have seen Stephen Valentine's book, and met him--the book is beautiful, Stephen is a cool guy--not sure if he is signed for cryonics, well when I talked with him a year ago at least he was hoping his family would be supportive, so maybe he will. Time Ship has been in the works for decades and some day may come to fruition. I'm sure over time we'll see more cryonics organizations open, even in other countries :)

Oh yeah, and LEF does support Alcor--it gives ad space to Alcor and also publishes articles on cryonics from time to time.

#10 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

Lots of people predicted around then that the Singularity would have occurred by now, I've never heard of Saul Kent making such predictions though :)

Here is a nice overview:

http://www.accelerat...redictions.html

#11 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

For a 'hard core immortalist' he sure doesn't look like he takes good care of himself. He appears overweight even. Now just think, this man is, what, 68 years old? How old is sylvester stallone? 63? That is 5 years difference and stallone looks so much healthier. I'm not insulting Mr. kent as he makes some great and passionate points but I think the immortalist movement really needs representatives that look good for their ages to make it kind of stick in the forefront of peoples minds what the purpose of the movement is. I.E to slow down the decline into sencesence.

Edited by TheFountain, 21 October 2009 - 01:25 PM.

#12 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

A fascinating interview and a case in point how authorities can fuck up your cryonics plans. I think I'm going to do a blog post about this when I have time.

#13 Berserker

• 60 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

Lots of people predicted around then that the Singularity would have occurred by now, I've never heard of Saul Kent making such predictions though :)

Here is a nice overview:

Tranks for the interview, i just said that for this topic:

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=17639

For a 'hard core immortalist' he sure doesn't look like he takes good care of himself. He appears overweight even. Now just think, this man is, what, 68 years old? How old is sylvester stallone? 63? That is 5 years difference and stallone looks so much healthier. I'm not insulting Mr. kent as he makes some great and passionate points but I think the immortalist movement really needs representatives that look good for their ages to make it kind of stick in the forefront of peoples minds what the purpose of the movement is. I.E to slow down the decline into sencesence.

But Stallone lives for his body. He is all day training in the gym, he takes all kind of steroids, botox,etc...he does things that are not possible for the average people.

#14 WeGonaLive4ever

• 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Isn't this guy the same who predicted the singularity in 1974 for the 2010? lol

Here is a nice overview:

But Stallone lives for his body. He is all day training in the gym, he takes all kind of steroids, botox,etc...he does things that are not possible for the average people.

Most bodybuilders don't work out more than 1-2 hours a day. To work out is possible for everyone, but you need a strong mind to keep it up everyday.

#15 Berserker

• 60 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

Its not about training in the gym or not. Its about if you are willing to take steroids or not, and if you can take them or not. Stallone got a lot of money and physical advisords behing, as he needs his body for training. Also, Stallone is 63 and Kent 68, 5 years od diference is a lot if we are moving between this ages.

#16 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

Isn't this guy the same who predicted the singularity in 1974 for the 2010? lol

Here is a nice overview:

Shouldn't all immortalists live for their bodies (at least till they find a way to upload our minds into computers)? I don't know about the botox thing but I am sure he works out at least 7 hours a week and takes HGH (not to be mistaken with steroids!). I think this is possible for everyone. Plus commitment to a proper dietary and supplement regimen is essential. And besides Saul Kent is not an average person. I'm sure he has money and opportunity to improve his health even at his somewhat old age.

#17 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

Its not about training in the gym or not. Its about if you are willing to take steroids or not, and if you can take them or not. Stallone got a lot of money and physical advisords behing, as he needs his body for training. Also, Stallone is 63 and Kent 68, 5 years od diference is a lot if we are moving between this ages.

Okay i've seen videos of Saul kent when he was around 50 and he still looked out of shape and sort of scruffy looking, so no I don't think that 5 years is that much of a big deal to someone like stallone, but only time will tell. This is a digression from the original point though, which is that we need representatives who can show the effects of caring about life extension. I get the feeling kent is another one who maybe believes in the bio-engineering aspect but maybe has little faith in exercise and proper dieting. How can you reach the lift off date with that sort of approach?

Edited by TheFountain, 21 October 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#18 lunarsolarpower

• Topic Starter
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

For a 'hard core immortalist' he sure doesn't look like he takes good care of himself.

Maybe he's showing some wear from his past battles. Also remember this video is 10 years old.

Edited by lunarsolarpower, 22 October 2009 - 01:52 AM.

#19 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:14 AM

brokenportal, I think you'll find that almost all the serious life extension people throughout the 1960s, 70s and 80s were involved with cryonics to some extent. Really until the human genome project began to near completion and Aubrey formulated his approach there wasn't much else apart from nanotech to focus on.

Now that I see just how serious Kent really is, Alcor work, and considers self "hard core immortalist", Im more confused than ever, I know supplements are a great help to the meme, but come on, 100% supplements with out even a whiff of alcor or imminst? How is that going to get through to anybody?

My impression was that those guys see LEF as their day job and figure they can do more good earning money to put towards research on projects they feel will actually bring about real results rather than risk marginalizing themselves with too radical of a message.

Well, thats a good take on it, that may be. What they should look at is how keeping it out of the magazine is marginalizing the cause, more than that really, its pushing it right off the page. If they put ImmInst, (preferably under a supplemental name) Alcor, MF and others in there then they would still have plenty of space to not let the supplements part of it get marginalized. But, if they want to take that approach, if that is indeed the approach they are taking, then they could just do that making money through anything. There would be no reason to promote this cause, but there is, there is a big reason to promote this cause. People need to know about it, because people that dont know about it cant support it. They have tons of supplements people there on the hook and a huge opportunity to let them know about the cause on the side. They dont even have to directly show support for it. They can just put in the ads, or put in pros and cons style articles about it. But, the good news is that I think they do want to put more of the cause in there. Shannon says Alcor has been in there. I havent seen it, but it might have been. And, Mind has gotten the green light from them. Since this is the case, Im left wondering how people like Kent and Faloon could have possibly not thought of this already themselves. Not to mention, they took the Life Extension brand name off the market for this. If that is the case that they really just want to make money from it to support the cause with and forgoe the adveritising of the cause with it, then they should start a second company, say vitamins inc or something, keep the cause out of there, and fill Life Extension magazine with this crucial life saving information.

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:01 AM

Here is a nice overview:

That's a nice article. I found this part to ring true:

I find it revealing that, with a few notable exceptions, those who propose extreme nearness of the event are most commonly either 1) in the throes of the predictable radicalism of youth ("the world depends on me"), or 2) of an advanced age and hoping to see the transcendental event occur before their demise ("no world will exist after me").

#21 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

For a 'hard core immortalist' he sure doesn't look like he takes good care of himself.

Maybe he's showing some wear from his past battles. Also remember this video is 10 years old.

I have 100% respect for what he has done for this movement. I didn't mean to sidetrack the conversation, just pointing out a trend I am noticing with a few LE representatives, including this guy, Aubrey and some other's. I wish they'd realize representation matters, how you look at 50, 60, and so on matters. No one outside the movement is going to listen to a sickly looking 50, 60 or 70 year old talking about the importance of life extension when they do not take care of themselves and seem oblivious to their own personal appearance. IMO aubreys appearance and non-chalance about diet and drinking habits takes credibility away from the movement. People want to see people who look good for their ages talking about this stuff. Okay I apologize for sidetracking this, back on topic now...

Edited by TheFountain, 22 October 2009 - 01:22 PM.

#22 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

People change vastly over their lives--a 20 year old, vs a 30 year old--not to mention the wisdom a coherent "with-it" 90 year old has in comparison. You, whoever you are (TheFountain) or others who read this thread--will be different at different ages, and it is unfair to cast aspersion upon a person for how they appear in a video. Saul is to be lauded for even appearing and doing as great a job as he did, any editor can do what they want with an interview to "color" it to one way or another. Aubrey, is doing and has done, far more than anyone human for ending aging--you have to ask yourself--what are you doing?

It is easy to criticize others, it takes strength to stand up and be public behind your name, to do interviews, to go out and ask for money. Yes, sickly looking 70 year olds even will be listened to, even respected--there are many in different fields from politics to literature who are revered and their words recorded. On sidetracking...yes, I admire Saul and all he has done :) (and all others who help us get closer to what we visualize, in nanotech, biotech, artificial general intelligence--all the fields, ending aging, mind uploading, space travel, time travel..you name it if you love hard sci-fi and cutting edge science ;-) )

#23 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:23 PM

We all owe Saul Kent AND Bill Falloon a debt of gratitude for standing up to the FDA tyranny.

Hey Brokenportal, LEF (Saul and Bill) are the reason Alcor is looking to hire some new staff. They gave a huge grant to Alcor to fund the executive positions. They have also provided seed money to a couple other biotech start-ups. I think the reason they do not talk about extreme life extension in the magazine is because it is targeted toward the general public and those who would like to take their health into their own hands. They focus on supplements, diet, and exercise in the mag and it has become a successful business.

#24 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:23 PM

Also, I am trying to get either Saul or Bill on the Sunday evening update. No luck so far, but maybe soon.

#25 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:56 PM

Most bodybuilders don't work out more than 1-2 hours a day

who the heck has 2 whole hours free in a day?

#26 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:13 AM

Here is a nice overview:

Hey that's a great website :p

#27 lunarsolarpower

• Topic Starter
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:51 AM

We all owe Saul Kent AND Bill Falloon a debt of gratitude for standing up to the FDA tyranny.

Speaking of Bill, he has a piece up on depressed metabolism comparing the various options following pronouncement of legal death from a first hand perspective. A great article to point anyone to who has just encountered Larry Johnson's material.

#28 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

People change vastly over their lives--a 20 year old, vs a 30 year old--not to mention the wisdom a coherent "with-it" 90 year old has in comparison. You, whoever you are (TheFountain) or others who read this thread--will be different at different ages, and it is unfair to cast aspersion upon a person for how they appear in a video. Saul is to be lauded for even appearing and doing as great a job as he did, any editor can do what they want with an interview to "color" it to one way or another. Aubrey, is doing and has done, far more than anyone human for ending aging--you have to ask yourself--what are you doing?

It is easy to criticize others, it takes strength to stand up and be public behind your name, to do interviews, to go out and ask for money. Yes, sickly looking 70 year olds even will be listened to, even respected--there are many in different fields from politics to literature who are revered and their words recorded. On sidetracking...yes, I admire Saul and all he has done :) (and all others who help us get closer to what we visualize, in nanotech, biotech, artificial general intelligence--all the fields, ending aging, mind uploading, space travel, time travel..you name it if you love hard sci-fi and cutting edge science ;-) )

I was not casting aspersions on him, I personally do not judge people by their age or appearance, what I was doing was placing my self in the mind set of other's who might view the video and it made me think back to a few other life extension themed interviews and videos I have seen and led me to the conclusion that these videos get such little hits because the people viewing them typically see the representatives as old wind bags or middle aged hippies (aubrey) who have a somewhat non-chalant attitude about their health or their own aging processes while preaching about life extension and immortality.

I was observing the fact that the average individual might view that as a contradiction and thus be inclined to turn away from such content. What I was saying was not judgmental in my own mind, it was judgmental in that I adopted other peoples mind sets when making the statement to put forth an explanation for why we do not attract as many people as we would like. Representation may be the single most important aspect of attracting people who are not otherwise opened to what we discuss. I did not mean to upset anyone with those comments. And yes I recognize the fight Mr. Kent has been engaged in for the benefit of all.

#29 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

I personally do not judge people by their age or appearance

Half your threads and posts are tirades against various types of appearance and how people look old. You my wish to evaluate your posting if you don't wish to appear judgmental of the aforementioned qualities.

Edited by eternaltraveler, 23 October 2009 - 03:41 PM.

#30 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

I personally do not judge people by their age or appearance

Half your threads and posts are tirades against various types of appearance and how people look old. You my wish to evaluate your posting if you don't wish to appear judgmental of the aforementioned qualities.

Are you talking about my post about how looking at old people makes me sick? There are various psychological components to that which cannot be simplified for the sake of deeming someone judgmental. I know many people here more than likely understand where I was going with that one. I don't think I ever blatantly said I judged the mind of individuals based on their outer appearance but at the same time certain deductions can be made. Like when someone drinks beer all day long and has a scruffy beard, it can be deduced that they do not care about how they are presented to another in the specific community they are trying to appeal to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users