• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Help raise $1 million for SENS research!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 freethinker

• 76 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:59 AM

Hi everyone,

Over 900 people have joined the facebook group to raise $1 million for SENS research (SENS Foundation).

We're close to 10% of our goal of reaching 10,000 members!

If you haven't done so already, please join and spread the word:

"Once we reach 10,000 members, every one of us will donate $100 to defeat aging!"
Here's the link to the group: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/297361

Thanks a million!
David

Edited by jean david, 15 September 2009 - 02:38 AM.

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

Come on everyone, join up!

I'll be putting in my $100 when it reaches 10,000 members. What an amazing thing to be able to say I was apart of.

Edited by Ben - Aus, 15 September 2009 - 12:08 PM.

#3 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

Soon I'll join you guys.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

What will this $1 million accomplish? Didn't Aubrey once say that SENS would need at least some $100 million a year to have a chance at really beating aging?

I don't want to be the party breaker here, just want to know what this $1 mil is expected to achieve.

#5 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

What will this $1 million accomplish? Didn't Aubrey once say that SENS would need at least some $100 million a year to have a chance at really beating aging?

I don't want to be the party breaker here, just want to know what this $1 mil is expected to achieve.

Bootstrapping. Some early successes will result in a lot more cash... but you need some money to generate those early successes.

- Tracy

#6 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

If everyone thought that way there would be no 100 millions to go around, dontcha think? (if 100$ won't do anything, then, well, 1000000*100$ will do nothing too) And if everyone thought that way the mfoundation wouldn't have several millions* in funds right now, but exactly 0$ and would still await those magic 100 million popping out from thin air. Maybe imminst should be disbanded, after all we're only worth ~50k$, so we're basically useless, aren't we?  :)

*IIRC

Other points not mentioned by thughes:
Critical path research and diminishing returns. 1 Million dollars worth of research is not one hundredth of 100 million worth of research, because you get the most out of some basic projects and diminshing returns afterwards.
You did not read his statement thoroughly, I think he implied that it would need to 100 million to achieve RMR within a set time span. Having "only" one million, it will just take more time, not forever.
1 million is worth quite a lot PR (it should get us into some of the mainstream news, or maybe Peter Thiel can be convinced to match the amount :) )

Edited by kismet, 15 September 2009 - 11:10 PM.

#7 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

Hi everyone,

The group has now reached over a 1,000 members - that's 10% of our membership goal already!

If you haven't done so already, this is a great opportunity to invite your friends to join the group and to help spread the word. You can also help us immensely by linking to the group and blogging about it.

Thanks to all who have joined!

Edited by jean david, 10 October 2009 - 06:17 PM.

#8 Transcentity

• 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

Joined.

I'd gladly donate $200 or more when we reach 10,000.

Remember, tweet and blog about it to gather more members ;)

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,059 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

SENS Foundation is hopeful to get 10,000 members before the end of the year, because this is when the Peter Thiel 50% matching comes to an end. Thus, if 10,000 people join the group (let us say, by December 25th) and we spend the last week of the year collecting the money, SENSF could potentially raise $1.5 million.

It will be tough. Any ideas where to start? We can use our Imminst presence to get the word out, but this is only good for 1,000 to 2,000 responses based on past experience, and this outreach involves a larger financial commitment ($100) so it might be much less.

I was thinking a holiday theme like "Give a gift to the future of humanity"

#10 rasnjo

• 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:45 AM

SENS Foundation is hopeful to get 10,000 members before the end of the year, because this is when the Peter Thiel 50% matching comes to an end. Thus, if 10,000 people join the group (let us say, by December 25th) and we spend the last week of the year collecting the money, SENSF could potentially raise $1.5 million.

It will be tough. Any ideas where to start? We can use our Imminst presence to get the word out, but this is only good for 1,000 to 2,000 responses based on past experience, and this outreach involves a larger financial commitment ($100) so it might be much less.

I really hope for SENS that they will reach that target, but I must admit I'm doubtful they'll do it this year (in the last 2 months less than 500 people have joined). I think the idea of a holiday theme is great (especially if we get a frontpage link) just make sure to get it up early enough that people have time to join and invite friends. I don't think we can persuade more than a couple of hundreds of ImmInst members to join, but if we get them to join and invite friends it could make a real difference. I signed up for Facebook just so I could join this. I'll be happy to donate $100 to a cause like this.

#11 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:55 AM

I really hope for SENS that they will reach that target, but I must admit I'm doubtful they'll do it this year (in the last 2 months less than 500 people have joined). I think the idea of a holiday theme is great (especially if we get a frontpage link) just make sure to get it up early enough that people have time to join and invite friends. I don't think we can persuade more than a couple of hundreds of ImmInst members to join, but if we get them to join and invite friends it could make a real difference. I signed up for Facebook just so I could join this. I'll be happy to donate $100 to a cause like this.

Getting everyone who signs up and who has already signed up to invite all their friends will be the issue, I think. If we can get the total up to two thousand members, each person will need attract only four friends to the cause for us to reach our target.

It will be tough, but for five hundred grand extra, we owe it to ourselves to try. And with a big bunch of hype and a concentrated months worth of effort we just might get there.

Edited by ben, 23 November 2009 - 04:55 AM.

#12 kellyhayes

• 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

It will be really tough to achieve this goal but its not impossible. The problem is how much will be the time line for this? and one thing I haven't heard of them already has the amount been reached?

regards,
kelly

#13 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

I think. If we can get the total up to two thousand members, each person will need attract only four friends to the cause for us to reach our target.

I like that idea.

#14 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:22 PM

I've sent out a few hundred invitations to those I think would have the money and or would want to support the cause -give a large boost to age-related degeneration research.

#15 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:23 PM

I'll continue when I'm on various social networking sites, to send out invitations.

#16 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:55 AM

We are trying to reach 10,000 members before the end of the year, which gives us about 2 weeks left! If we can get there by Christmas, the cause ( http://www.causes.com/defeataging ) has the potential to raise a full amount of 1.5 million dollars for SENS research, as Peter Thiel will be matching every donation to the SENS Foundation by a further fifty percent up until December 31st!

Please contact as many people as you can, and urge them to join, the lives of millions of people depend on it! We can do this!

Edited by jean david, 15 December 2009 - 12:56 AM.

#17 Mind

• 19,059 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

Now up to 1,578 members.

#18 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

I have an idea to raise up to 1 million dollars for SENS Foundation by March 1st.

The idea is to start a recruiting contest for the 10,000 people, $1 million to defeat aging Facebook cause.

In other words, by March 1st, members of the Facebook cause who have recruited the most people would be awarded a monetary prize.

The first step would be to determine the appropriate prize amounts for recruiters, for example:

# 1 recruiter - $1,500. # 2 recruiter - $1000. # 3 recruiter - $700. # 4 recruiter - $500. (Total: $3,700 in prizes)

It might also be a good idea to establish a minimal number of recruits to win a prize, for example, at least 20 recruits

All we need is about 85 people to recruit 100 members; or 170 people to recruit 50 members; or 340 people to recruit 25 members. Perhaps if we give people an incentive to do so, this can be accomplished.

The Causes application already tracks the number of recruits of all members (by way of facebook invitation), and everyone can easily see who the top recruiters are, so all that needs to be done is to spread the word about the competition.

What do you think of this idea? Thanks very much.

#19 Mind

• 19,059 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Prizes work, especially in the amounts you are proposing. I am not sure that this is something Imminst should spearhead but rather SENSF should fund (the prizes). Maybe Imminst could kick in a little, but not the whole amount IMO.

#20 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:40 AM

Prizes work, especially in the amounts you are proposing. I am not sure that this is something Imminst should spearhead but rather SENSF should fund (the prizes). Maybe Imminst could kick in a little, but not the whole amount IMO.

Thanks Mind. Sorry for the late reply.

I though this was a good idea, however there might be some complications.

As concerns current recruitment tallies, some people already have in the realm of fifty or so recruits, not to mention have been members for far longer and have therefore had more opportunity. The advantage this gives them could be a disincentive to other competitors. On the other hand, if we only count new recruits, those who have already recruited several members will be at a disadvantage as they will have already used up much of their recruiting potential. Something to think about...

#21 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

Now up to 1,745 members.

Edited by jean david, 04 February 2010 - 12:48 AM.

#22 atp

• 138 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:47 AM

How to get money for life extension projects like sens?

One possibility is to try reaching thousands of people who will donate 100$ or so.

But I think this is very difficult and not very efficient.

Another possibility is the following, and in my opinionen it is much much more efficient:

Try to convince a super rich human.

For example: Warren Buffet has the same amount of money as 34000 people who each have a million dollar!!!

So what is easier? Trying to find and convince 34000 millionaires? Or trying to convince Warren Buffet or Bill Gates?

And there would be another positive side effect.

Once a prominent super rich human donates much money for projects like sens, there will be much publicity for such projects
which is useful to get more rich donators with big influence.

Edited by atp, 05 February 2010 - 05:52 AM.

#23 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hit the facebook button on the bottom of this to post it to your facebook if you havent already. If you read this and you dont then you are rediculously lazy and you shouldnt consider yourself an indefinite life extensionist.

#24 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

Everyone we are already almost 20% there to reaching the goal!!! Fu**ing 20% That is a very hugh chunk. If we work hard now we can get $1000000 for SENS in less than a year now. It may even result in huge press coverage and publicity.

Please everyone we must act now.

Join the internetworking team to help raise awarness of our cause, http://www.imminst.o...p?showforum=359

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users