- - - - -

My Regimen (M23)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:09 PM

I'm a 23 year old male, 145 Ibs, 5'9 and this is my regimen:

I exercise for 1 hour for 4 days a week; I use a video that has aerobics and weight aerobics.

I also take the following supplement:

GNC Men's Mega Men® Maximum Nutrition Formula: Chocolate powder;

which contains the following:

Vitamin A
(as Vitamin Palmitate): 5,000 IU
Vitamin C (as Calcium ascorbate): 300 mg
Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol): 800 IU
Vitamin E (as Vitamin E Acetate): 30 IU
Thiamin (as thiamin HCl): 25 mg
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2): 25 mg
Niacin (as Niacinamide): 25 mg
Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine HCI): 25 mg
Folic Acid: 400 mcg
Vitamin B-12 (as Cyanocobalamin): 25 mcg
Biotin: 300 mcg
Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate): 25 mg
Calcium (as calcium citrate calcium carbonate dicalcium phosphate): 500 mg
Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide): 100 mg
Zinc (as Zinc Oxide): 15 mg
Selenium (as Selenium Amino Acid Chelate): 70 mcg
Copper (as Copper Gluconate): 2 mg
Manganese (as Manganese Sulfate): 2 mg
Chromium (as chromium amino acid chelate): 120 mcg
Molybdenum (as molybdenum amino acid chelate): 75 mcg
alpha-Lipoic Acid: 25 mg
--Antioxidant Fruit and Vegetable Blend: 105 mg
saw palmetto powder
plum powder
wild blueberry powder
cherry powder
parsley leaf powder
kale leaf powder
spinach leaf powder
Wheat Grass Juice Powder
cranberry powder
strawberry powder
orange powder
raspberry powder
Brussels Sprouts Powder
asparagus powder
blackberry powder
Broccoli Powder
bilberry powder
Grape Skin Extract
Beet Juice Powder
Cauliflower Powder
apricot powder
papaya powder
Carrot Powder
cabbage powder
garlic powder
grape powder
pineapple powder
Fiber Blend (2.5 g Inulin & 2.5 g FOS): 9.75 g
Inulin
FOS (Fructooligosaccharides)
Gum Arabic
soy fiber
Cellulose Gum

Resistant Starch
essential fatty acid blend
High Oleic Sunflower Oil
Borage Oil

Lutein: 950 mcg
Lycopene: 950 mcg
Astaxanthin: 50 mcg
Zeaxanthin: 50 mcg
L-Arginine (as DiArginine Malate): 1,000 mg
Policosanol: 10 mg
Phytosterols (as beta sitosterol campesterol and stigmasterol): 800 mg
Green Tea Extract (Decaffienated): 10 mg
Inositol: 10 mg

Calories: 90
Calories from fat: 20
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: .50 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 50 mg
Potassium: 40 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 12 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 6 g

I mix the powder with lactose free Milk.

I also eat 1 Banana, 1 apple, a cup of strawberries everyday and on occasions a cup of wild blue berries.

What do you think?

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:21 AM

MEGA MEN!!! GRR!!! MAXIMUM POWER!!

As far as I can see (I'm pretty ignorant on these things so I probably shouldn't even be replying to this post) this multi has the following flaws:

- Its vitamin E comes from only one source rather than a complex.

- It has an incredibly small amount of ALA I take about 1000 mg every day.

Positives:

I like the green tea extract though it doesn't tell you what the EGCG ratio is and the lycopene and astax. etc. Good mix with all those powders too. With so many at least one of them has got to be doing you good right?

What's wrong with AOR's orthcore? Is it a lot more expensive than GNC's multi?

Edited by Ben - Aus, 24 July 2008 - 02:22 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:34 AM

MEGA MEN!!! GRR!!! MAXIMUM POWER!!

As far as I can see (I'm pretty ignorant on these things so I probably shouldn't even be replying to this post) this multi has the following flaws:

- Its vitamin E comes from only one source rather than a complex.

- It has an incredibly small amount of ALA I take about 1000 mg every day.

Positives:

I like the green tea extract though it doesn't tell you what the EGCG ratio is and the lycopene and astax. etc. Good mix with all those powders too. With so many at least one of them has got to be doing you good right?

What's wrong with AOR's orthcore? Is it a lot more expensive than GNC's multi?

I'm using GNC because it's a well known company, I never use products from companies I don't know much about. Anyway, isn't 1,000 mg of ALA a bit high? In laboratory studies 100-200 mg proved to be effective and nutrition sites recommend a dosage between 50-100 mg since side effects such as nausea, upset stomach have been reported at higher dosages, GNC is likely being cautious with it's dose?

#4 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

I'm a 23 year old male, 145 Ibs, 5'9 and this is my regimen:

I exercise for 1 hour for 4 days a week; I use a video that has aerobics and weight aerobics.

Not speaking from a life extensionist standpoint, but do some real weight training it's good for your body: increases strength+BMD, alleviates sarcopenia (in later life), but should also help early on as soon as your natural T-levels decrease...

#5 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

[b]GNC Men's Mega Men® Maximum Nutrition Formula: Chocolate powder;

What do you think?

I think that a lot of the stuff in there is not is sufficient quantities to really do anything.

For example, 105 mg of antioxidant/fruit powder containing 27 different ingredients is a whopping 4 mg of each on average (although it is more likely to be 75 mg of the cheapest (beet juice powder?), and 1 mg each of the rest, but maybe I'm being cynical).

Astaxanthin at 50 micrograms? Should be 40x as much or more.

Green tea extract at 10 mg? THat's a very small amount.

Etc.

#6 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:28 AM

[b]GNC Men's Mega Men® Maximum Nutrition Formula: Chocolate powder;

What do you think?

I think that a lot of the stuff in there is not is sufficient quantities to really do anything.

For example, 105 mg of antioxidant/fruit powder containing 27 different ingredients is a whopping 4 mg of each on average (although it is more likely to be 75 mg of the cheapest (beet juice powder?), and 1 mg each of the rest, but maybe I'm being cynical).

Astaxanthin at 50 micrograms? Should be 40x as much or more.

Green tea extract at 10 mg? THat's a very small amount.

Etc.

I'm taking it more for the vitamins and minerals. I'm not sure I'm ready to take those newer chemicals at such high levels; there isn't enough research on humans; we don't know what the long term effects are for those who use mega-doses.

As for the Green Tea what dosage should it be? Although, GNC should have added White Tea Extract since research shows it has much more antioxidants and it's also more powerful than Green and Black Tea.

#7 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:30 AM

I'm taking it more for the vitamins and minerals.

Some of the forms are not the best:

Niacinamide
Cyanocobalamin
any oxide form of mineral (magnesium oxide, zinc oxide) - low absorption
amount of magnesium is low compared to the amount of calcium
most of the calcium is basically ground up rock - calcium carbonate (chalk), DCP (lime) - this stuff can have a lot of impurities - low absorption

If you are eating that much fruit you probably don't need extra fiber, you shouldn't need extra omega-6 either, you are probably getting too much already from your diet unless it is really clean.

As for the Green Tea what dosage should it be?

I think you want to have 4-6 cups' worth. Depending on the catechin content, probably 200-400 mg.

This stuff is listed on gnc's web site for $40 for a month supply. I wouldn't take it; for that price you could take a full dose of OrthoCore and throw in a couple grams of fish oil per day as well.

My $0.02, I'm no expert though.

#8 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

Niacinamide
Cyanocobalamin
most of the calcium is basically ground up rock - calcium carbonate (chalk), DCP (lime) - this stuff can have a lot of impurities - low absorption

If you are eating that much fruit you probably don't need extra fiber, you shouldn't need extra omega-6 either, you are probably getting too much already from your diet unless it is really clean.

I think you want to have 4-6 cups' worth. Depending on the catechin content, probably 200-400 mg.

This stuff is listed on gnc's web site for $40 for a month supply. I wouldn't take it; for that price you could take a full dose of OrthoCore and throw in a couple grams of fish oil per day as well.

I don't take it everyday though; I don't take it on days in which I have a lot of Vitamin A in my diet (Too much Vitamin A is toxic).

As for my diet, I don't know how healthy it is: Here it is for you to judge:

Weekly:

Red meat (once a week)

Vegetables (usually once a week)

Chicken (twice a week)

Seafood (twice a week)

Chinese Food (once a week)

Mexican Rice (usually mix it with vegetables and almost everyday)

Lactaid Fat Free Milk (almost everyday)

Pinto Beans (almost everyday)

soup (almost everyday)

eggs (once a week)

Salad (once a week)

Honey Nut Cherios (twice a week)

Yoplait Yogurt (which has Active cultures: L. Acidophilus, Vitamin A & D, Calcium, Phosphorus, protein, sodium and potassium, almost everyday)

Banana (everyday)

Apple (everyday)

Peach (everyday)

Wild Blue Berries (almost everyday)

Strawberries (everyday)

Once a month:

fatty foods such as burgers, Pizza, turkey hotdogs, etc.

Edited by Dmitri, 25 July 2008 - 08:24 PM.

#9 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:48 PM

Niacinamide
Cyanocobalamin

Are you sure? A lot of foods add Zinc Oxide for nutrition. Why would several companies use that form if it wasn't effective?

#10 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:39 AM

Niacinamide
Cyanocobalamin

Are you sure? A lot of foods add Zinc Oxide for nutrition. Why would several companies use that form if it wasn't effective?

Because it is dirt cheap.

#11 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

Niacinamide
Cyanocobalamin

Orthocore appears to have a mega-dose of Vitamin B-6 which is harmful if taken for a long period of time; the package even warns you about it.

Also, as I mentioned before GNC is likely being cautious with it's dosages of ALA since some studies have shown that side effects appear on dosages higher than the recommended (which is 50-100mg). Although, they appear to have no problem giving you dosages several times higher than the RDA recommendation when it comes to Vitamins and certain minerals. Another reason I'm taking this supplement is because it's in a powdered form. I despise swallowing pills, so it's great that GNC was gracious enough to make a powder for those who have trouble swallowing pills.

I've looked at LEF products, but those are really expensive, so I won't buy them until I finish college and start on my career (hopefully they'll have a powdered form as well by that time).

Edited by Dmitri, 29 July 2008 - 05:29 PM.

#12 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

Orthocore appears to have a mega-dose of Vitamin B-6 which is harmful if taken for a long period of time; the package even warns you about it.

This was addressed in this thread: http://www.imminst.o...-UK-t23421.html

I've looked at LEF products, but those are really expensive, so I won't buy them until I finish college and start on my career (hopefully they'll have a powdered form as well by that time).

LEF has a powder form of their vitamins already. AOR (who makes OrthoCore) has one as well.

#13 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

LEF has a powder form of their vitamins already. AOR (who makes OrthoCore) has one as well.

I see, now the only problem is the price. I won't be able to buy it until I have a career which will be in about 3 years.

#14 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:34 AM

Then why does Ortho Core even warn you about it if they're not using the form that causes those side effects?

#15 happy

• 103 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:50 AM

NOW Adam Multi-Vitamin from Iherb

GNC is poop.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#16 Dmitri

• Topic Starter
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:49 PM

Niacinamide
Cyanocobalamin

The forms GNC uses are not bad according to the following cites:

http://www.healthcas...umcitrate.shtml

Calcium Citrate e.g. Citracal or Solgar:

• Absorption: Calcium is best absorbed in an acidic environment, hence calcium citrate is the best absorbed supplemental form of calcium. It does not require extra stomach acid for absorption, hence we may take it anytime in a day, even on an empty stomach.
  • Calcium Carbonate e.g. Tums or Caltrate

• Absorption: Calcium Carbonate is alkaline based, it requires extra stomach acid for better absorption, hence it is best taken right after meals or with a glass of acidic juice such as orange juice.
  • Calcium Content: Calcium Carbonate is the most prevalent calcium supplements in the market . It provides more elemental calcium than Calcium Citrate hence you may not need take as many pills.
http://www.doctoryou...m/kaufman3.html

Niacinamide has un-gated entrance to the central nervous system. It has a strong affinity for the central nervous system's benzodiazepine receptors and causes a pleasant calmative effect. In addition, it improves central nervous system function in the kinds of central nervous symptom impairments noted in my 1943 book, starting on page 3.

Please keep in mind niacinamide is a systemic therapeutic agent. It measurably improves joint mobility, muscle strength, decreases fatigability. It increases maximal muscle working capacity, reduces or completely eliminates arthritic joint pain. Niacinamide heals broken strands of DNA and improves many kinds of CNS functioning.

http://b12patch.com/...ocobalamin.html

Cyanocobalamin is the form of vitamin B12 that we usually get. Cyanocobalamin is the vitamin B12 that is found in most meat and meat products, and in most vitamin B12 supplements. We convert cyanocobalamin to methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, which are the vitamin B12 forms we can use in metabolic processes. Some people believe that it might be better to supplement with methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalamin.

Edited by Dmitri, 04 August 2008 - 08:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users