SIRT1 Links Circadian Rhythms to Metabolism

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:49 AM

Missing link found between circadian clock and metabolism -- it's SIRT1:

http://www.eurekaler...p-mlf072108.php

So that's why people who don't get enough sleep regularly have shorter lifespans

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

So that's why people who don't get enough sleep regularly have shorter lifespans

Could you go into a little more detail here...for us laymen. In one part of the study they are saying:

...SIRT1 is required for high-magnitude circadian activity of several core clock genes. SIRT1 binds CLOCK-BMAL1 in a circadian manner, they report, and promotes the deacetylation and degradation of the clock component called PER2. " It's been dogma for years that the circadian clock is regulated by transcription feedback loops," Sassone-Corsi said. "Now we have another loop—an enzymatic loop."

So are we to assume then that not sleeping enough "screws up" these enzymatic and transcription feedback loops. Thus we would be more prone to DNA transcription errors and metabolic problems.

I see at the end of the article they speculate that epigenetic changes could be driving the obesity epidemic. I would speculate epigenetic changes could be responsible for the persistence of obesity in an individual, but the root cause is over-eating and inactivity when people are young. These bad habits change the epigenome and this results in life-long consequences.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:44 PM

Missing link found between circadian clock and metabolism -- it's SIRT1:

http://www.eurekaler...p-mlf072108.php

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Forever21, 27 July 2008 - 06:34 AM.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

"While it remains a matter of speculation, the findings suggest that drugs that inhibit or activate SIRT1 might have an effect on the clock," added Gad Asher of University of Geneva in Switzerland, noting that such treatments might be a help to people suffering from circadian sleep disturbances. That idea could be easily tested by giving mice resveratrol, a SIRT1-boosting ingredient found in red wine, and examining its effects on clock function, he added.

Anyone taking high purity resveratrol notice any differences in circadian rythym?

#5 manofsan

• Topic Starter
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

I was going to ask the same thing. It's certainly worth investigating.

What should we predictively assume in advance? That resveratrol would cause more sharply pronounced circadian rhythms, or that it would insulate against deleterious effects stemming from lack of proper sleep or adherence to circadian rhythms?

#6 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

That's interesting. Didn't someone notice it 'intensifying' their circadian rhythm - i.e. getting more tired at night, falling easily to sleep and perhaps waking up bit earlier?
IME, in the beginning involving resveratrol I crashed more or less around 9-10PM, and woke up before 6AM, but dunno if that specifically was linked to the resv supplementation.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

• Lurker

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

"While it remains a matter of speculation, the findings suggest that drugs that inhibit or activate SIRT1 might have an effect on the clock," added Gad Asher of University of Geneva in Switzerland, noting that such treatments might be a help to people suffering from circadian sleep disturbances. That idea could be easily tested by giving mice resveratrol, a SIRT1-boosting ingredient found in red wine, and examining its effects on clock function, he added.

Anyone taking high purity resveratrol notice any differences in circadian rythym?

If you take a look at my blog you can see how it affected me. Since the CLOCK gene is tied with Bipolar Disorder, I feel that it was the reason for stopping my mood swings and bringing me back to a much better state. I have the studies on this post specifically:
http://resveratrolan...ymptoms-part-i/

http://resveratrolan....wordpress.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users