• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

"Science against aging" needs your action

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 b0gger

• 167 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

There is this thing - "The Davos Debates"

And Maria wants to go to Davos and talk about defeating aging with the world leaders.
We can promote (and comment) her video.

PS I hope someone will help to promote this, and she will talk there. Because big impact on the video might allow her to pass the jury.

please digg it

Edit: noticed a typo

Edited by b0gger, 04 January 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:56 PM

Maria did a great job in the video!

Reading at YouTube about this contest, it looks like a panel of YouTube judges will select 5 videos on January 8th. Those 5 videos will then be voted upon by the public and the winner will represent their cause in Davos. The biggest hurdle will be getting on the list of 5 finalists. Is there any way to promote Maria's video so that the judges are more likely to select it? B0gger mentioned posting comments. Giving it a high user rating will likely help as well. Does anyone know who the judges are? Since it is YouTube (San Fran/Bay Area), maybe one of the judges is connected to the life extension/transhumanist movement and can be swayed... ;)

#3 b0gger

• Topic Starter
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:51 AM

the judges are
Posted Image

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

Maria, excellent job with the video-you do well at the Davos debates! Lets do our best to spread the word about this competition and promote this video.

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

It might help if Maria puts her video into the video responses section under the Davos Debates 2010 video, to get more viewings -I noticed some others in the competition did that. If you've not contacted Sens Foundation, and Methuselah Foundation they'd both promote it through their quite large mailing lists.

#6 b0gger

• Topic Starter
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Thanks, Shannon, for all your support and ideas, I'll post at Methuselah forum right now. Sadly we got one day for promotion instead of a month. Maybe we try to send you (or Justin, or Eric) to "Debates 2011", would you go? that would be awesome :)

It might help if Maria puts her video into the video responses section under the Davos Debates 2010 video, to get more viewings -I noticed some others in the competition did that. If you've not contacted Sens Foundation, and Methuselah Foundation they'd both promote it through their quite large mailing lists.

#7 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

I would certainly attend. We should keep this in mind, if there is a similar video contest in 2011.

As far as promotion, it does not seem there is a guaranteed way to get Maria's video more attention. Let us say all of the Life Extension organizations use their mailing lists and Maria's video gets 10 times more comments than any other video. Does this make it more likely that her video will be selected by the judges?

#8 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

I rated the video, posted a comment, and shared it on Twitter and Facebook. I recommend other people do this as well. Use the power of social networking.

#9 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

I commented and clicked to connect to facebook, not sure if it worked. Yes, somebody, bogger, please do ask sensf to send this out in their mailing lists, if they havent already.

Put this in that responses section Shannon mentioned too. Ive seen things like this before. Its kind of like amex, 3 bananas and chase except instead of money we get a platform to transmit ideas, and that can be a lot more valuable. I would sure love to see people with an ambition for these kinds of things develop a project to stay on top of it during 2010. Mind, Shannon and others could give more speeches. An alternative, or addition to that is that perhaps we could hire a publicist this year.

#10 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

I rated the video, posted a comment, and shared it on Twitter and Facebook. I recommend other people do this as well. Use the power of social networking.

I'll spread it too.

Maria's video is mostly really well done, and definitely better than I could do. But, it's missing the "Why should I care?" statement. In other words, most people will view her video and think, "And, what does this mean to me?" There's no pay-off with this video--it builds us up, and basically leaves us hanging. It needed a clearly stated pay-off, a reason to personally take interest and take action. For example, "Do you really want to die this century and miss out on everything the future has to offer? Or, if you had a choice to live, would you take it? Well, guess what, you can have that choice, but the sooner we all rally and take action, the more people alive today will have that choice..."

#11 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

One more day to promote,rank, and comment on Maria's video.

#12 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

I registered just now, rated and commented! hope I am not too late! :~

#13 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

Sadly, Maria's video was not selected. Thanks to everyone who commented on her video. Maybe we will have better luck next year.

The 5 that were selected relate to Global Warming, Female Genital Mutilation, Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, Global Poverty, and Social Problems the Middle East. All deserving of attention, but nothing all that ground-breaking. I think I will vote for the Global Poverty fellow, as he seems to be taking a little different approach on the subject, not just handing money over to corrupt governments and making sure that aid money creates prosperity, not dependency.

#14 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

Sadly, Maria's video was not selected. Thanks to everyone who commented on her video. Maybe we will have better luck next year.

The 5 that were selected relate to Global Warming, Female Genital Mutilation, Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, Global Poverty, and Social Problems the Middle East. All deserving of attention, but nothing all that ground-breaking. I think I will vote for the Global Poverty fellow, as he seems to be taking a little different approach on the subject, not just handing money over to corrupt governments and making sure that aid money creates prosperity, not dependency.

Mind, have you read The Secret History of the American Empire? Totally addresses your concern about "corrupt governments and making sure that aid money creates prosperity, not dependency." Which, btw, I totally agree with. Most aid organizations in other countries actually do more harm than good.

Edited by DukeNukem, 09 January 2010 - 03:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users