* * * * * 1 votes

Sunday Evening Update February 21st, 5pm EST, 2200 GMT

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

Through requests of the audience and outreach of the Imminst VIP team the Sunday Evening Update was able to arrange an interview with Jacque Fresco and Roxanne Meadows - founders of the Venus Project.

The Venus Project presents a bold, new direction for humanity that entails nothing less than the total redesign of our culture. There are many people today who are concerned with the serious problems that face our modern society: unemployment, violent crime, replacement of humans by technology, over-population and a decline in the Earth's ecosystems.

As you will see, The Venus Project is dedicated to confronting all of these problems by actively engaging in the research, development, and application of workable solutions. Through the use of innovative approaches to social awareness, educational incentives, and the consistent application of the best that science and technology can offer directly to the social system, The Venus Project offers a comprehensive plan for social reclamation in which human beings, technology, and nature will be able to coexist in a long-term, sustainable state of dynamic equilibrium.

Tune in on Sunday February 21st at 5pm EST, 2200 GMT

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

Word has it that Jacque has been reading the Scientific Conquest of Death. I will have to ask him how greatly extended lifespans figure into a sustainable future.

Picture of Jacque and Roxanne.

Attached Files

#3 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

I wonder what he thinks about Timeship, and cryonics. I could see him looking to get involved with Timeships design in any sort of way that he might. He works with futuristic city design, and if he is interested in this cause and or cryonics, then I couldnt see him not wanting to look to get involved.

#4 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:57 AM

Through requests of the audience and outreach of the Imminst VIP team the Sunday Evening Update was able to arrange an interview with Jacque Fresco and Roxanne Meadows - founders of the Venus Project.

Brilliant! I look forward to this.

#5 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

We need to do everything we can to promote this show. If you're reading this now, promote the show by announcing it as a facebook status update!

#6 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:59 AM

We need to do everything we can to promote this show. If you're reading this now, promote the show by announcing it as a facebook status update!

Done, and will periodically update (interspersed with status updates plugging the upcoming Cryonics UK training weekend, but I'll catch attention as I can for both).

#7 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:09 AM

Asking for reposts is also very handy.

Attached Files

#8 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Just asking, but this will be recorded right?

#9 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

Mind records most all of them, missing a few where there may be a technical malfunction. Cyberbrain have you promoted this pretty far and wide? If you want I would suggest starting a topic with an alluring title like maybe, "How are we going to survive if dont adapt our communities to the onrush of change?" or something like that. You want to try to draw everybody with knowledge and teaching and opinions on these kinds of things out of the woodwork that you can with the title, and then explain how society is this way now, but we could do things like this and that like the venus project suggests, etc... The more people you can get thinking about it, the more people youll probably get to go to the show.

Did you ever notice that happening with yourself? For example, if theres a show about sunken ships on tv I might not care, but if I had recently been reading about and pondering the ship wreck of so and so then now all of a sudden Im fascinated and riveted by these sunken ship shows.

#10 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

The show will be recorded, barring any software or technical malfunction.

Questions anyone? Please post them here if you cannot attend the live broadcast.

What I would like to ask Jacque is about how attitudes have changed over the years. He has lived through some interesting times and technological change. It would be nice to find out if he currently has a positive view on human society and continued progress, as compared to the view he held back in say, the 1950s.

#11 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

I wonder what he thinks about Timeship, and cryonics. I could see him looking to get involved with Timeships design in any sort of way that he might. He works with futuristic city design, and if he is interested in this cause and or cryonics, then I couldnt see him not wanting to look to get involved.

I know what Fresco thought about cryonics in 1969. He published a negative account of it in his book Looking Forward:

http://www.thevenusp...-Forward-v2.pdf

I've extracted the relevant passage here:

http://www.scribd.co...Looking-Forward

#12 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

The show will be recorded, barring any software or technical malfunction.

Questions anyone? Please post them here if you cannot attend the live broadcast.

What I would like to ask Jacque is about how attitudes have changed over the years. He has lived through some interesting times and technological change. It would be nice to find out if he currently has a positive view on human society and continued progress, as compared to the view he held back in say, the 1950s.

Don't forget to ask him about his views on death, life extension, cryonics (maybe the Timeship), and transhumanism. And if he's interested in achieving longevity/immortality himself through cryonics, dieting/supps, etc.

Cyberbrain have you promoted this pretty far and wide?

I've been pretty active about it on Facebook. About 30 people may attend it, and I've notified 100's more.

#13 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

Also if Fresco has webcam, it would be better to focus it on him instead of mind (sorry mind). It would get more viewers attention and if posted on youtube will also get a lot of attention.

#14 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

Whenever the guest has the capability of video interface, I use the video, but this is not the case with Fresco. Sorry Cyberbrain. Unfortunately, many of the guests do not have skype, or a webcam, or high speed internet (I end up just calling their landline). Hopefully this will change in the future.

#15 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:57 PM

Just a reminder that this week's show begins at 5pm EST (2200 GMT) instead of the normal 6pm start.

#16 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:21 AM

Direct link to the video here.

Jacque and Roxanne were quite passionate about a more resourceful and peaceful future through the Venus project. Most of the interview revolved around the deficiencies of modern society and how the Venus project could solve them. The subjects of new technology, life extension, and cryonics were brought up (about 15 to 20 minutes in) but they didn't have much to say about the topics wrt to how these would relate to the Venus Project and societal change. They did not look favorably upon cryonics, because of the potential problem of assimilating a revived person into the culture of the future.

#17 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

Very interesting interview Justin! Agree though that there could have been more talking about life extension/cryonics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users