Photo
- - - - -

Warning for St. John's Wort users based on preliminary evidence

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

I know that there are some dedicated supplements of SJW, so I thought this would be appreciated:

Curr Eye Res. 2009 Oct;34(10):863-6.

The Association between Self-Reported Cataracts and St. John's Wort.Booth JN, McGwin G.

Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, and Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA.

Background/Aims: Recent interest in Hypericum perforatum, or St. John's Wort (SJW), is related to its observed utility in treating depression. However, mounting evidence suggests one component, hypericin, may be associated with cataractogenesis. To date, this association has not been evaluated in humans. Therefore, the current study assesses the relationship between self-reported SJW use and cataracts utilizing data from a large, population-based sample. Methods: Self-reported data on SJW use in the past 12 months and cataract were obtained from the 2002 National Health Interview Survey, a nationally representative population-based sample. Crude and adjusted odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) between SJW use and cataracts were estimated using logistic regression. Results: After adjusting for potential confounding characteristics, participants that reported having cataracts were 59% more likely to report SJW use (OR 1.59; 95% CI 1.02-2.46). Conclusions: The results of the current study provide support for an association between SJW use and cataracts. Based on the methodological limitations of this study, further investigation is required.

Edited by czukles, 14 November 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#2 jochenp

• 14 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

I know that there are some dedicated supplements of SJW, so I thought this would be appreciated:

Curr Eye Res. 2009 Oct;34(10):863-6.

The Association between Self-Reported Cataracts and St. John's Wort.Booth JN, McGwin G.

Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, and Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA.

Background/Aims: Recent interest in Hypericum perforatum, or St. John's Wort (SJW), is related to its observed utility in treating depression. However, mounting evidence suggests one component, hypericin, may be associated with cataractogenesis. To date, this association has not been evaluated in humans. Therefore, the current study assesses the relationship between self-reported SJW use and cataracts utilizing data from a large, population-based sample. Methods: Self-reported data on SJW use in the past 12 months and cataract were obtained from the 2002 National Health Interview Survey, a nationally representative population-based sample. Crude and adjusted odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) between SJW use and cataracts were estimated using logistic regression. Results: After adjusting for potential confounding characteristics, participants that reported having cataracts were 59% more likely to report SJW use (OR 1.59; 95% CI 1.02-2.46). Conclusions: The results of the current study provide support for an association between SJW use and cataracts. Based on the methodological limitations of this study, further investigation is required.

Could anyone knowledgeable comment on this? Should this be taken seriously? I take quite large doses of SJW daily...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:49 AM

how much are you taking per day?

this is the first i've heard of it but its completely feasible that the increase in cataract is due to sjw making the eyes more photosensitive, as sun exposure is a significant risk factor for cataract formation and sjw may increase photosensitivity in certain people. SJW may have made my eyes more photosensitive but i cant say for sure... about a year after starting SJW my eyes became slightly more sensitive to sun but it also coincided with an illness so its hard to say what caused it.

what i would like to see is the results controlled for sun exposure and sunglasses usage. my guess is those people probably had significant direct exposure to the sun.

wear sunglasses, problem solved... i wouldnt stop taking sjw for anything short of my eyes falling out of my head.

#4 jochenp

• 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:48 AM

how much are you taking per day?

this is the first i've heard of it but its completely feasible that the increase in cataract is due to sjw making the eyes more photosensitive, as sun exposure is a significant risk factor for cataract formation and sjw may increase photosensitivity in certain people. SJW may have made my eyes more photosensitive but i cant say for sure... about a year after starting SJW my eyes became slightly more sensitive to sun but it also coincided with an illness so its hard to say what caused it.

what i would like to see is the results controlled for sun exposure and sunglasses usage. my guess is those people probably had significant direct exposure to the sun.

wear sunglasses, problem solved... i wouldnt stop taking sjw for anything short of my eyes falling out of my head.

I take about 3500µg of hypericine daily.

#5 jochenp

• 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

Anyone else? Is this a lot I take? Would SJW still have positive effects on my brain if taken before bed, all in a single dose?

#6 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Anyone else? Is this a lot I take? Would SJW still have positive effects on my brain if taken before bed, all in a single dose?

Are you even taking an effective, scientifically proven extract like Kira or perika?

#7 jochenp

• 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

Are you even taking an effective, scientifically proven extract like Kira or perika?

No, I am not. I'm taking a generic product, standardised for 495µg of hypericin/cap.
What difference does this make for the increased risk of cataractogenesis (the extra sensitivity to light seems to be caused by the hypericin?)?

#8 bran319

• 175 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:56 PM

If you are concerned about this issue then I would suggest you try a low hypericin product like SC27 by New Chapter. It is focused more on hyperforin which does not cause photosensitivity but is the agent in SJW which upregulates CYP3A4. Otherwise, like ajnast4r said, be smart and wear sunglasses while outdoors.

#9 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

No, I am not. I'm taking a generic product, standardised for 495µg of hypericin/cap.
What difference does this make for the increased risk of cataractogenesis (the extra sensitivity to light seems to be caused by the hypericin?)?

The difference is that if there is/was any trade off at least the product would be working. And also your need for such high doses might be because the generic extract sucks.

#10 jochenp

• 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

The difference is that if there is/was any trade off at least the product would be working. And also your need for such high doses might be because the generic extract sucks.

I should admit that I'm only dosing it this high because I don't experience a subjective effect of the SJW at a lower dose.

#11 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

I should admit that I'm only dosing it this high because I don't experience a subjective effect of the SJW at a lower dose.

Switch too Perika or Kira and boycott that generic crap. This way you can take between 300-900 mgs a day and actually feel an effect without worrying about developing cataracts or whatever. But this is kind of a contradiction since I would assume the Hypercin would need to be active to cause the side effect. So if the side effect is present but not an effect on your psychology it might be that you are imagining things. I would try what I suggested. Switch over, take lower doses. You will be fine.

#12 jochenp

• 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

I am not experiencing any side effects, by subjective effects I mean a more positive state of mind. Could be placebo ofcourse.

#13 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

I am not experiencing any side effects, by subjective effects I mean a more positive state of mind. Could be placebo ofcourse.

Like I said switch over to one of those two brands. Wear dark suunglasses anytime you are directly exposed to sunlight and you will be fine.

#14 jochenp

• 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Yeah I would switch, but cost is an issue and availability here in Belgium could be too.

#15 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:49 AM

Yeah I would switch, but cost is an issue and availability here in Belgium could be too.

the extract used in perika is made by germany company and should be readily available in europe under different brands.

you would most likely be able to take less of the ws5570 as its a hyperforin dominant extract and hyperforin seems to be the main chemical responsible for sjw's effect on mood. there is a considerable body of research on this specific extract.

Edited by ajnast4r, 24 November 2009 - 02:53 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:57 AM

Kira is quite cheap on Iherb last time I checked. Around 6$ a bottle as I recall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users