• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

are you interested in helping with imminst forums programning?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

If you do any sort of programming and would like to be considered for help with imminst forums work and maintenance then list your interest here.

I propose that we have the directors interview the people who indicate interest in this list and then bring a good 3 to 5 people on board under an "imminst programmers team" title or something like that.

#2 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

Great idea. It would help a lot to have a list of people with programming skills to contact for various projects.

Here is some of my info.

Languages:
Delphi (Pascal), PHP, C++, Java, JavaScript

Markups:
DHTML, XML

Systems (Admin level):
Ubuntu (Linux), Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista

Servers (Programmatic interface level):
MySQL, Apache, Win2003, IIS, Merak Mail, MS DNS, Bind, Gene6 FTP

Edited by lightowl, 10 January 2009 - 02:38 AM.

#3 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:53 AM

I do mostly Java and Javascript, though I know PHP.

I can handle most tasks in MySQL.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

I'm good at C/C++, although I think it would be fun to learn something else.

I suspect it may not be very useful ...

#5 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

My skills are XHTML and CSS.
I am trying to learn PHP, But I am still a noob in this

#6 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Can somebody list what styles this forums uses and or is there a practice page where people can demonstrate what they can do somewhere? Like maybe a free version to tinker with that we can advertise as a part of an interview for this effort?

#7 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:15 AM

I'll volunteer myself for debugging and performance tuning.

How do we get the ball rolling?

Thanks,
David

#8 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Question: Is there a non-production environment of the software running on similar hardware (or the same hardware) to the live version? Or is there just the live instance?

Thanks,
David

#9 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:27 AM

Invision's website says:

<LI>
Better performance
We've tweaked IP.Board to the hilt to make it one of the best performing yet most feature-packed bulletin board systems available today. Larger forums will reap the benefits of the improved speed and efficiency that IP.Board 2.3 brings, while smaller forums can look forward to the future knowing IP.Board will scale with their community.

What version do we have? I'm hoping it isn't 2.3, because there appear to be some performance issues and I hope this isn't as good as it gets. :p

David

#10 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:10 AM

Last questions for the night...

Are we using MySQL, SQL Server or Oracle?

Is the storage subsystem just a hard drive on the server or is it a SAN/NAS architecture?

Do we have load balanced servers, or just one server?

Are we running on Unix or Windows?

What type of processor(s) do we have?

How much memory?

Thanks,
David

#11 davidd

• Guest, F@H
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:23 AM

If you do any sort of programming and would like to be considered for help with imminst forums work and maintenance then list your interest here.

I propose that we have the directors interview the people who indicate interest in this list and then bring a good 3 to 5 people on board under an "imminst programmers team" title or something like that.

Any luck on this yet?

David

#12 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:20 AM

Not yet, but if we can get some more people to list what they do here and discuss ideas surrounding this then coming up here any time now we can dig more into this.

#13 neonnexus

• 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

Languages:
Basic knowledge of PHP, C++, Java, VB, Vbscript, Javascript

Markups:
HTML, CSS, XML

Systems:
Debian (Linux), Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista

Servers:
MySQL, Apache, FTP, sshd, Samba, Windows NT/2000

#14 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:57 AM

Thanks, also to every body, please indicate what you may know about IPB.

#15 Jonathan

• 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

My programming experience is PHP and MySQL on Ubuntu and other linux systems. I am interested in learning ruby and ruby on rails if that is an option. I regularly use HTML and CSS for presentation. I use Adobe Photoshop but I don't have any great creative skills with graphic design. I maintain, develop and extend the websites and classroom registration systems for Safety Services across Atlantic Canada;

http://www.safetyservicesns.com
http://www.safetyservicesnl.ca
http://www.nbsafety.com

As well as a private database for classroom registration in Alberta. We are also moving into British Columbia.

My other work is usually toward content management systems for private business or for the tour and travel industry. I built and maintain Destination Halifax (www.destinationhalifax.com), whose online marketing is usually contests eg. http://aperfectday.d...ionhalifax.com/

I am currently doing a bit of work on a web 2.0 project called Project 2010 which aims to be a social network for the tour and travel industry.

I graduated with a degree in Computer Science in 2005 and have been working since 2003.

#16 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

I am currently without steady access to a computer, but will be connected to the cloud again in a couple days. I understand you guys are working on group functionality right now. I have experience working on this for Teme's site, if you're using drupal's organic groups module. I can help. Email me and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

#17 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

Mostly C C++ html javascript php mysql, opened to other.

I'm thinking of embedding the chat in the forum pages in order to give a boost to life extension projects.
Any help is welcome: it would be nice to have php connect with the existing ustream chat: : i'm not used with ustream, if someone could have a look at the ustream documentation for developpers? Thank you!

Edited by AgeVivo, 20 May 2009 - 08:15 AM.

#18 JasonBunting

• 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

I have 8 years web development experience, largely with Microsoft technologies (I know, I know - ewww!!! It pays the bills!). I do have Unix/Linux experience as well, though Windows is my forte.

Started with "classic" ASP (VBScript) in 2001 and moved quickly, and thankfully, into ASP.NET with C#.

I also know how to develop desktop applications with WinForms programming and WPF.

I know C, C++ as well, though only from my academic experience (95% of my BS in Computer Science finished, then I had kids so I need to go back).

I don't just know JavaScript, I grok it; not just libraries but the language itself, having programmed with it in earnest for over 4 years. I was doing "Ajax" back in early 2005, before the current explosion. As for JavaScript toolkits, I know jQuery and MochiKit (my fave). I ♥ JavaScript.

I have interests in functional programming, especially with JavaScript and erlang.

With regard to databases, I mainly know and love SQL Server as well as VistaDB (and the evil Access) though I also have minimal Oracle, MySQL and SQLite experience.

XML, of course. Man, do people still use that crap? JSON FTW!!!

Hmm, that's about it - I might be forgetting something, but this is good enough.

Edited by JasonBunting, 26 June 2009 - 07:20 AM.

#19 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Other than bringing people from this list on board the engineers team, they could sit in on engineers meetings I suppose, and give ideas, insight and advice.

I see the bump function isnt working again.

#20 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

We are looking for more possible volunteers here. If you want to consider helping the engineer team and have some sorts of skills in this area then please do let us know.

#21 jdgauchat

• 211 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:33 AM

We are looking for more possible volunteers here. If you want to consider helping the engineer team and have some sorts of skills in this area then please do let us know.

Hi BP. Here I am...

I can collaborate working on the new websites developments or in new websites sections, in the imminst website or in other related website (websites not associated with imminst but about the same subject, aging and immortality, will be considered).

I'm able to build websites from scratch, but I have no experience with preprogrammed applications like IPBoard. May be I can help with this board, but I will need a lot of time to get used to the code.

I program in PHP, MySQL, Javascript, CSS, HTML and I'm able to build AJAX applications (most of my websites use this technology). I'm self employed so I have plenty of time to dedicate to different projects, but I have to work on my owns, so when you need something you have to considere that maybe I'm busy and be patient.

I can participate in chats and forums, and share information and send scripts by email, but I'm not ready to talk by phone in english (only in spanish). I'm improving my english so may be in a few month I will be able to do it (I speak like a cheroke right now :-D ).

In other post we were talking about performing the video page, so I made a small sample to show what I'm talking about. In this sample the list of videos below the main stream are loaded automatically (using the API of ustream), so the code shows the last videos recorded by Mind. Actually, if Mind submit or record another video right now, the video will appear on this page instantly.
http://www.songsplac...minst/index.php

I added the Facebook chat that I was talking about. Its just a sample (I stole it from another website :p ), so you can see how good it looks.

To see my work you can visit some of my own websites:
http://www.macrobar.com.ar
http://www.adonpicture.com
http://www.alepo.com.ar
http://www.macropc.com.ar
http://www.songsplac...m/indexcopy.php (under construction)

I have hundred of websites but most of them are just list of products for sale so are not a reference.

I know how to work with the API of Amazon, so if you need help building the store I can help with that too.

Well, any question here I am.

And about my commitment to the cause... well, this is all we are, there is no life after dead, there is no spiritual world, this is our only chance to exist. I don't have any choice, I have to dedicate my life to preserve my existence so...

Edited by jdkasinsky, 29 August 2009 - 05:20 PM.

#22 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

Programmer here. My experience is mostly with C++ and Java, although I've used Matlab, Basic, HTML, Javascript, and probably a couple others. I can pick up any language though. I have a little experience with websites. Here's my family company site, which I made myself (with the help of google): www.victorswholesale.com

I can learn fast and I have some suggestions to improve/clean up the forums. Add me to the list. :-D

Edited by Vgamer1, 28 August 2009 - 03:48 PM.

#23 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Unless I missed it, it's never been stated which skills are needed here. What language is IPB written in, for example? Does that even matter?

#24 jdgauchat

• 211 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

Unless I missed it, it's never been stated which skills are needed here. What language is IPB written in, for example? Does that even matter?

info about IPB http://www.invisionp...equirements.php
most of these applications are made with PHP, MySQL and Javascript combined with CSS styles.

Edited by jdkasinsky, 28 August 2009 - 09:08 PM.

#25 HyDrive

• 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

I am a software engineer. I know PHP, Javascript, CSS, HTML, AJAX, some C++ and several scripting languages. I know my way around any Windows/Unix/Linux operating system. In short, there's nothing I can't do with a computer. I have much experience with business and management. I am the president of two corporations, both technology based.

In the past I was one of vBulletin's best customers with over 50 licenses. Many of the forums I owned and operated were considered "top 500" in the world by Alexa. Some of them even had 5, 6, and 7 figures revenue.

I am passionate about extending and enhancing life. I have a lot of experience with nutrition and nootropics, which is how I originally found this website.

Brokenportal has the rest of the juicy details about me.

I would be interested in the lead engineer position.

#26 HyDrive

• 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

Haven't heard from you guys in more than a week. I thought you needed urgent help lol

#27 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

Same here.

#28 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

Haven't heard from you guys in more than a week. I thought you needed urgent help lol

Clearly then, they do. If you want to help, just start doing something you think should be done. If you need a place to demo some stuff, you're welcome to collaborate at http://temetics.org I'm desperate for some help. PM me here if you're interested in helping set up an online giving marketplace for undergraduate research, or if you want to use the space to demo some features for this community.

I'm really glad you want to contribute. If you don't see some leadership providing guidance, and if you care about the movement, then push yourself into a leadership role by doing.

I must say that several times I've contacted people about ways to help, and have had varying success in getting feedback. To the people in positions of power: This is a serious problem. Facilitating the effective organization of volunteers is a top priority.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users