• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Improving with age

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:28 PM

Are there positive aspects of aging such as further development of the frontal lobes?

That is if we took away the 7 deadly things is a there a certain number of "good things" that we may want to leave there?

• Lurker

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:44 PM

Biologically, absolutely none at all. Learning, life experience, emotional maturity, etc are of course a different matter.

What is an "Aspie" BTW?

#3 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

It's short for aspergers syndrome but this is not the thread to discuss it.

So as I'm 25 now should I assume that my frontal lobes and the rest of my brain is fully developed?

I can increase my knowledge and exercise my brain and body and increase muscle mass but most things are down hill now?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

Well, learning is a biological process in a sense. Information must necessarily change the brain physically, so if you learn more as you age, your brain is going to become different (potentially in a good way). I know that as I've gotten older I've improved my "storage and retreival" scheme in my brain simply due to having more information IN my brain and having to form various associations, etc., in order to access that information.

And yes, "Aspie" is short for Asperger's. (I'm also one, and I consider it to be a variation and not a disease.)

#5 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:34 AM

Can Caston or Nydra start an Asperger's thread? I am interested in psychology but honestly I know nothing about Asperger's syndrome outside of the Wikipedia article. Are you guys socially handicapped or what? Give us the skinny, the "low-down", if you will.

#6 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:38 AM

Just turned 45, and I am far improved over any previous age I've been. Far, far smarter, far stronger and capable of athletic endeavors, and in much better health than I've likely been since my single digit years. Not to mention I'm at an age were I can capitalize on my previous career efforts and rewards, and really have a lot of fun with life, such as traveling the world a great deal. I know that improvement cannot continue, but I expect to be in great shape well into my 70's and 80's, so the light at the end of the tunnel of fun is still extremely dim. :-)

#7 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:08 AM

Michael:

I'm worried now that if I start a thread I won't have time to answer all the questions. I start uni tomorrow!

Oh well I've moved my response to a new thread in the OT lounge.

http://www.imminst.o...T&f=203&t=11672

Edited by caston, 23 July 2006 - 09:56 AM.

#8 Utnapishtim

• 219 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:20 AM

Biological advantages of aging... Hmm..... for some older women, the ability to conduct sexual relationships without the risk of pregnancy may seem to be an advantage. For some older people in general, a decline in sex drive may actually be welcome. Not something I am looking forward to, but could be seen as a potential advantage by some.

#9 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:40 AM

But perhaps we could redefine aging to be more like how a bottle of wine ages than how a grape does.

Maturity vs senesence. Non-degenerative aging. Possibly even aging as gateway to transhumanism, that is we never stop developing.

dukenukem:

How long have you been actively interested in your health and life extension for?

Edited by caston, 23 July 2006 - 06:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users