• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

richest people

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 alegg

• 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:29 AM

hello,

why do your think richest people isn't interesting about lifespan at all?. Is a stupid question but, i don't know...i think in people like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Google´s founders, Walton, etc, etc.

This rich people don´t want live more longer?, Warren Buffett (76 years old) have 50 billons dollars!!!!...in other hand, http://www.mprize.org have 4 millons, with hundred people donated.

Warren Buffett+Bill Gates 100+ billon dollars...are aging and dying with no problems about that nevertheless we (common people in general) want (or dreams) to fight aging...

(sorry for my english, i´m english student for two months ago)

#2 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:18 AM

If someone like bill gates gave a huge amount of money to a company like the mprize... people will probably question his decision and might not like it.... (what about africa? what about AIDS, what about cancer, heart disease?).

But Mr Gates probably believes he'll be one of those guys with a very long life anyway, he apparently reads kurzweils books so no doubt he's heard of aubrey, the mprize and all the other stuff going on.

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:51 AM

I thought the answer to this question was pretty straight forward

They are more interested in making money than on spending it. They spend money on things that will give a return.

yes yes I know that they give money to charity which generally doesn't bring a monetary return. I'm gonna go out on a limb though and say that people like Bill Gates donate to charity to lift their image not because they care. To me that is stating the obvious

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

When it becomes obvious (enough) that aging can be reversed, I think the rich tech guys will probably be the first to fund development of interventions. I truly believe that when aging becomes reversible, death by neglect ( hunger, disease ) will become much more of an issue in the world.

#5 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

Beyond the desire to avoid the negative attention that such investments would draw I think the biggest issue is having confidence that the investment would have any reward.

I suspect wealthy people ponder their fate as much as the rest of us. They probably feel that a pricetag can't adequately be put on solving the aging issue and that even significant investments from their pool of wealth wouldn't even extend their lives by a day. Until we have better data as to what the specific causes and fixes are, any estimation would be a simple wild ass guess as to what the cost is.

If they do decide to plunk down some coin the next big question then becomes where to put the money? Conventional wisdom has been that investing in biological, medical and biotech research will ultimately lead to average and maximum age increases. This is probably true but it's also the least efficient way to get there. Only sizable and directed research efforts focused squarely on engineered solutions for the molecular causes of aging will yield results. Other than SENs/MMP, there are few public initiatives that spell out a roadmap to cure aging that don't include patiently awaiting discovery.

#6 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

I would imagine donating to causes like these would be something which would be done privately and anonymously

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

Well, Peter Thiel has maybe opened the door for other rich folks to walk on through. He donated 3.5 million to SENS and MF. Prior to the last handful of years, extreme life extension was still fringe. Thanks to the efforts of Imminst, Better Humans, MF/SENS, Kurzweil, and the like, it is moving slightly more toward the mainstream. Each step toward more visibility and acceptance will be accompanied by greater investment from rich folks.

Thus, it is very important that we continue to hammer away at promoting life extension. The more we talk about it, the more people will hear about it.

#8 Utnapishtim

• 219 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

the number of people embracing life extension memes are statistically speaking, a very small category. The number of people in the ultra rich category is also very small. Finding individuals who fit into both will thus be doubly rare.

#9 alegg

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

from the donate list (mprize)

"Google 2006-04-04 US 1000.00"

it gets depressed me!, i´ve donate the same money that google...

#10 AaronCW

• Guest, F@H
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

the number of people embracing life extension memes are statistically speaking, a very small category. The number of people in the ultra rich category is also very small. Finding individuals who fit into both will thus be doubly rare.

I find that making references to life extension efforts, and to those organizations involved, appropriate in a variety of situations and especially in other on-line forums here is an example of something I posted today; http://blog.sciam.com (read "Found in Translation" and my comment to it as AaronW.). You never know who might be participating in or just reading a blog like this.

#11 braz

• 147 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

Perhaps they are religious. Perhaps they have no problem with dying. It varies from rich person to rich person...

#12 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

Heh, were these really from Google corporation?!

#13 leba

• 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:23 PM

There are 2 possibilities: 1. They don't know about it, in this case write them a letter. 2. They do know about it but don't find it realistic.

One thing's certain: They have a broad experience of people trying to screw them over.
Think about what would be a most pathetic swindle for an ageing millionaire who has all the material things imaginable ? That’s right, “elixir of youth” ;) There's a good chance they've been offered such thing plenty of times already.

#14 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb though and say that people like Bill Gates donate to charity to lift their image not because they care. To me that is stating the obvious

I am not so sure you are correct on that one, at least when it comes to Gates and Buffet. The reason why I would give the benefit of the doubt is because of Buffet's influence on Gates. They have been long time friends. Buffet is not the type of guy to do anything to "look good". He is a contrarian. He has been very strict to ethical guidelines for a very long time. I consider him a model for how capitalism, and the people within it, should run.

#15 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

For self made billionaires, if they are smart enough to schwindle that much money out of the rest of the world, they are probably smart enough to do their own due diligence into whether ther are any practical life extension efforts that have merit. These ones will find us.

If they simply inherited it and looking for help in deciding where to invest then we should get in line and put out our hand. ;)

There are hundreds of billions of dollars sitting in crappy mutual funds, dead venture capital funds and stuffed under matresses. There are millions of well educated and underemployed hi-tech employees stuck in dead-end jobs. We just need a handful of clever people to find a few key areas of research and engineering that can bring these three together to push the ball forward. The desire for longer lives and higher quality health crosses every demographic, i.e. just about everyone is a potential consumer in such market. The rest will exit the market eventually. If a billionaire saw legitimate investment opportunities they would be all over it in a inflammation-riddled heartbeat.

#16 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:39 AM

While I was having the parallel of this discussion in the Hispanica forum I began to look closely at the rules governing grant seekers at the B&M Gates Foundation. Interesting enough under the category of eligibility for US organizations I noticed a section that Imminst is eligible for.

http://www.gatesfoun...orGrantSeekers/

For Grant Seekers

The foundation's grantmaking philosophy flows from our belief that every human life has equal value. In deciding how to invest our resources most responsibly, we look for projects that:

Help reduce inequities in neglected areas
Produce measurable results
Catalyze increased momentum, scale, and sustainability of change
Collaborate with government, philanthropic, private-sector, and not-for-profit partners
Favor preventative approaches

Leverage support from other sources
Advance our current strategies, accelerating the work we are already supporting

We award the majority of our grants to U.S. 501 ©(3) organizations and other tax-exempt organizations identified by our staff. We do not award grants to individuals, or to projects that serve an exclusively religious purpose. To learn more, follow the links below.

For Grant Seekers in the Charitable Sector

US Grant Seekers

FAQ's

Open RFP's

http://www.gatesfoun...erResources.htm

We are seeking to produce measurable result by educating and promoting methods for improving resistance to aging and age related disease. We favor preventative approaches to aging but also seek to achive reversal of aging methods. We are willing to work with other organizations and government. In fact we do already work with some other organizations and catalyzing the momentum for sustainable change is exactly our goal in this pursuit. We are even the correct type of organization under their rules; 501 © 3.

#17 lul20

• 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:24 AM

I think too that the richest tend to engage in the same denial of death as most people - only to a greater degree. One can feel rather indestructible under those circumstances. That, combined with repressing the inevitable and uncreative thinking outside one's area of expertise (ie, accumulating capital).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users