• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

What to study in University.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 singularist

• 19 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:56 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could garnish a few people's ideas on what to study in University. All I know at this very moment, is that I would like to help our cause in securing immortality. I don't know as of yet what route I should take, should I study heavily in biology, or I should go in the way of technology; ie. nanotechnology.

What are some suggestions? I'll be most likely doing my undergrad here in Ottawa Ontario, although I might go afar should my financial situation lighten up. All I know is that I want to study for a cause, somewhere I know that I will be put to good use; I don't want to frolick around and waste my time when I know more and more of my brethren are slipping away (or losing hope.) I want to put all my resources, all of my knowledge to good use and get cracking on it.

Everything is much appreciated!

Pearce

#2 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:07 PM

Know Thyself.

Look for some courses, aside from your preparation for a livelihood or professional undertaking, courses namely which can help you to know yourself, and how to guide your life and thoughts according to the best wisdom of mankind, in the rise from savagery and barbarisim to the best so far of civilization and culture, peace and concord among men and in mankind.

Susma

#3 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:20 PM

Definitely biology. I'm currently majoring in molecular biology, but biochem, bioinformatics, etc, all fit the bill. Basically, you should try to prepare yourself for a career in biotechnologies.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:29 AM

Hey singularist,

I'm currently in my third year of university, at a place not to far from you: Queen's University in Kingston Ontario. At the beginning I was enrolled in Biomedical computing, which was essentially a double major in biochemistry and computer science. In my second year I dropped the computers and took a specialization in biochemistry, and now I'm just a biochemistry major. My reasons for changing were to steadily decrease the amount of required courses so that I could take more electives, such as linguistics and astronomy. By doing a great deal of independent learning through books and papers, I had quickly gone far ahead of my biochemistry courses. Also, working in labs for the summers gave me valuable experience that could never be obtained in a lecture.

So in retrospect, I would have been better to take an absolutely minimal program, such as a major in biology, to give myself as much flexibility as possible. The biochemistry of aging is a rapidly advancing field, and no undergraduate education will prepare you for it in of itself. If you're really serious about aging research, my suggestion is to take courses when and if you need them to provide basic background, then study the issue independently! Also, audit courses to get the benefits of the background knowledge without having to waste time memorizing insignificant details for exams.

#5 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:36 AM

Well said, Osiris. Singularist, if you want to effect something, biochemistry is the way. It seems to me that molecular biology alone can be a bit superficial, depending on where you are. Consider computers or nano, if you you need a substitute religion (Don't take this seriously, it was just your name that somehow made me say this ;-) -- I can see that your attitudes soundly refute any such suspicion!)
Some unis offer bio-nano combined degrees that could be useful because they factor in the famous "engineer-mentality". But I hear they are stressful and time-consuming. Although not having tried such a course, I would favor Osiris' minimalist thing. Get this undergrad over with and specialize when ever you have the chance to hang out in the lab.

#6 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:06 AM

Hi Pearce,

Before making any decision, one might keep in mind that the magnitude of self-reproach is a function of the decisions one made. All factors that one considers when making a decision must be not primarily the dynamic state of non-artificial nature but, in balance, also the decisions others make and the dynamics of artificial nature. There’s a long route and a short route, which intrinsically keeps this is mind, to learning how to make decisions that are least likely to violate the unknown realm of your future interests and of those who you believe matter.

You seem to convey a sense of urgency. Although perhaps at the price of insufficient context and background information, the short route is likely to be what you prefer.

Rationality
Risk and Opportunity

Though best wishes regardless.

• Lurker

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:39 AM

Aim to be the best student you can be. By the time you complete your undergraduate studies the technology landscape may have altered, so keep your finger on the pulse but keep your options open by sticking with the basics. Remember you can make the most contribution as a scientist when you are in the position of principal investigator which usually means having a few PhD's working for you. If you are just entering university this means you are about 7 - 10 years away from this position so lots of changes can happen by then.

#8 singularist

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:34 AM

Hello all,

Much thanks for all contributions, I have a pretty good inclination of where I'm headed. Time is a factor that should be held in the highest regard, I would like to be there when the breakthroughs of biotech are ushered in and a new era of Mankind has begun. Therefore I'm guessing that biochem would be a start, and as Osiris/ Nate suggest personal research unaffiliated with an University. There are a lot of barriers to overcome, but I think I'm well prepared for what the future has in store.

I don't know about everyone else here, but I am constantly confronted with my mortality and the eventual "ceasing to be" in my current physical and psychological state. How does one overcome the hurdle of knowing that one day, hopefully not, I may face death? It is something that I am plagued with everyday, I suffer from cognitive deficits because of it; sometimes the fear of learning keeps me from achieving my potential. Even the slightest thought of memory loss, let alone death, is enough to set me into a "death phobia" relapse. I know that I may be a "little" manic about my obsession with immortality as others have remarked, but in my case It's quite understandable. How does everyone cope with their mortality? Am I the only one who thinks about death? Or is it something you'd rather not think about? When I read books by Kurzweil it gets my heart pumping and I feel relaxed, but I do figure that a lot of his theories are subject to great debate.

Best regards & your companion,

Pearce

#9 wraith

• 182 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:25 PM

I wish I were you! Just starting out... My years at university were the best of my life. I'm a McGill alum; I'd recommend it, except I know it has fallen off the map in recent years. Aim high: UofT. Queens is good, too, I hear :)

I agree with what's been said here so far. Go for the basics, but remember that when studying life sciences, there are advantages to knowing about all levels: molecular, cellular, organismal, population. So take some survey courses. And related basic sciences. I guess if you go for biochem, you will have to take organic, too. I can't tell you how shocked I am that these days a lot of bio grads haven't even taken an intro to organic chem class.

And get a job in a lab and make friends with lots of profs. Casual conversation can benefit your intellectual growth more than you might think.

After undergrad, if I were you, I'd study neuro or immunology, something along the neuro/immuno/endocrine intersection. But you're not me, so that's got to be your own decision. When the time comes, you'll know.

Get busy with life and you won't have time to think of death.

#10 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hey singularist, first welcome :) .

I think it would be the best to learn what's the most interesting for you. I think mathematics might help since it is the base of almost every subject.
All the other stuff depended on what you wanna go for.
Nanotechnology, biotechnology, bioinformatics, biochemistry, physics, philosophy, biology etcetera, etcetera, etcetera- are all interesting subjects and all may contribute! Since in every field there are people who research, I suppose you can go for what you feel you can donate the most; usually what's interest you the most is what you will be able to donate to more.
Unless there is some specific thing you wanna research, then you have to study all the matter that will hep you with it; perhaps during the research itself...

Good luck.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#11 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:02 PM

singularist I don't know about everyone else here, but I am constantly confronted with my mortality and the eventual "ceasing to be" in my current physical and psychological state. How does one overcome the hurdle of knowing that one day, hopefully not, I may face death? It is something that I am plagued with everyday, I suffer from cognitive deficits because of it; sometimes the fear of learning keeps me from achieving my potential. Even the slightest thought of memory loss, let alone death, is enough to set me into a "death phobia" relapse. I know that I may be a "little" manic about my obsession with immortality as others have remarked, but in my case It's quite understandable. How does everyone cope with their mortality? Am I the only one who thinks about death? Or is it something you'd rather not think about?

I certainly understand how you feel, Pearce. A Terminator once said, “Anger is more useful than despair.” I think that’s about right.

I’d still go a step further and realize that one needs absolutely nothing and that extrinsic pressures simply don’t exist. Impetus comes only from within, and if it’s going to, it may as well be done right. If you are going to choose to get angry, for instance, or otherwise motivated to whatever degree, it shouldn’t be an automatic manifestation of inherent biological inadequacies, for it’s merely a delusion and you would’ve lost your pilot’s license. Instead, invoke internal impetus that finds challenges extremely attractive because you chose them, not because they were imposed on you.

Perceiving extrinsic events as impositions is self-delusional. One would have to make choices for some reasons or others. One may as well choose by knowing the truth that choices ultimately just had to derive from intrinsic properties. The proposition, “I am the Chosen One,” is a fairy tale, and one that’s self-defeating.

#12 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:52 PM

Dear singularist

Sorry to bring the first point of this topic up again, but I'd like to get this of my chest:

This kind of advice is probably the greatest privilege that ImmInst members currently enjoy.
It shows that our presence makes a difference in that people are inspired to change their lives because they believe they can make a real difference.

In the light of this, I'd also like to reiterate a point made above by others: know thyself.
I realize that this is a lot to ask at this stage, but it is very important.

Do not make it your first priority to find the "best" academic discipline. Rather, find a field that you are good at! That does not necessarily mean "stick to your guns", you need to experience and push yourself, but ultimately the conquest of death is better served by a dedicated and gifted plumber than by a inept biochemist who does not even like his job.

Whatever you do, if you keep focused on your dream you will make a difference. It is a precarious route, especially once "real life" starts for good, but it is probably worth it when that death phobia comes knocking.

Best of luck on your path, wherever it might lead you
Caliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users