• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Life in fear of death? An important Balance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 12:06 PM

A topic relevent to the desire of eternal life is the chance of injury and death as we live our lives. I have heard it said that a necessary thing for all imortal wannabe's to do, is to limit the risk of death that they face. In other words, don't drive fast cars, don't go sky diving, don't get into big wave surfing etc... Shy away from risk.

What I believe in my life, as a general rule, is that a life lived in fear of death, is not a life worth living. See, I want to live forever, but I am not scared of dying. Perhaps I am completely alone here on two fronts. Firstly, I am not scared of death, because as soon as it happens, I believe I won't know anyway, so whats it matter? And secondly, I enjoy fear, I enjoy adrenalin...so increasing my risk in life, makes me feel more alive. I am sure that many people can't relate to that, but for those who can, would it be right for them to limit their risk?

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 12:22 PM

Your reasoning for not fearing death is in direct parallel to my wife's reason for not fearing death. She believes that as long as she won't feel it or know what happens, then what's to worry about?

While, this is certainly an individual’s prerogative, I just can't take myself to feel comfortable with the thought of oblivion. I know some will say that I’m not really living if i don't go out and participate in risky activity... And many question my reasoning for not wanting to fly. But for me, a life lived in caution is infinitely more desirable to a life not lived.

(Shane.. Good to see ya back :))

#3 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 12:51 PM

And this is where the balance does need to come in...

I am about to ask 'What is risky, and what isn't', but I know I needn't. It is up to each individual to decide what they consider too risky, and for them individually to avoid it. Really, the ideal of living forever shouldn't change this facet of life.

Well, that is, the ideal of living SHOULDN'T change this facet of life...though I sort of fear it will for many people. I just hope that they realise what I am saying here, and don't cut themselves short for the ideal. I want to jump of cliffs, so although I recognise it as more risky, I want to do it...So I will do it.

Other people may just see the risk, and no desire. Naturaly the choice for them is just as obvious as it is for me.

its the people who want to do it, but think "Oh, wait, i want to live forever, I can't do that, I might kill myself" that I am concerned for. They are the people who are living their life in fear of death, and thus, not allowing themselves to live.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Sophianic

• Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 02:10 PM

I can understand why someone would want to think that it's okay to risk life and limb for a head rush. It's damn exciting and incredibly sexy. I've been there ~ too many times to mention. But why not get your thrills with VR and wait for the incredibly sophisticated and powerful Virtual Reality systems that are on the horizon to get more intense thrills? That way, you get to have your cake and eat it, too. With no risk to life or limb.

I guess what I'm saying is: "be patient." In twenty or thirty years, you can experience any thrill at whatever intensity you wish with no risk to you. What would you rather have: (1) a chance to live for hundreds or thousands of years or more with awesome VR in 20 or 30 years time, or (2) a chance to experience the thrills of being alive while taking the risk of killing yourself before VR comes along, and missing the chance of living for centuries or millennia.

For me, this issue is about keeping perspective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users