• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Life Extension Distributed Computing Projects?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

I was wondering about something the other day, so I thought I would ask you guys to see if you knew of anything.

Do you guys know of any distributed computing projects (the ones where you download a program and it uses your computer during idle times) that benefit anything having to do with Life Extension?

The most famous (and I think the first) one is the Seti@Home one (to help search for signals from extraterrestrials). I also ran across Compute Against Cancer (help to find a cure for cancer), which could help life extension I think, Folding@Home (help understand protein folding and related diseases), and others to fight aids and crack encryptions.

If there isn't any to do with life extension (or even something having to do with making stides toward the singularity or something like that), does anyone know if anything like that is being contemplated at the moment? If there is something like that, it could be listed places like the World Community Grid (for distributed computing projects that benefit humanity) to make it easier to find for others.

I currently do the Seti@Home one, but if there was one that was more helpful to life extension, I would rather do that instead.

:)

#2 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:34 PM

Hi liveforever22,

You are correct, there are several good DC projects ongoing, and probably more in the works. It would be nice to find something directly related to life extension.

As you probably know, the Stanford F@H group is tackling something very closely related to our goals.

Several here at ImmInst are involved in Folding@Home for The Longevity Meme team.

http://www.longevity...ing_at_home.cfm

#3 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:25 PM

The Blue Brain project (running simulations of mouse brains) might move to a DC project in a couple years.

Sometimes the progress seems so slow ...

But Folding@home have been pumping out papers recently, though I suspect that companies that retain ownership of DC results have an action plan for making use of the results.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:58 PM

The Blue Brain project (running simulations of mouse brains) might move to a DC project in a couple years.

Sometimes the progress seems so slow ...

But Folding@home have been pumping out papers recently, though I suspect that companies that retain ownership of DC results have an action plan for making use of the results.

I was under the assumption that whoever did the DC (in this case Folding@Home) had all the rights to the information. Are you saying that this is not the case?

That mouse brain thing sounds very interesting by the way!

#5 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:09 PM

Folding@home does open source publications (since they're a research institution).

A DC project by a private firm probably retains the rights to the results, but they probably undertake the project with an eye on having a useful product in the end.

#6 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

Folding@home does open source publications (since they're a research institution).

A DC project by a private firm probably retains the rights to the results, but they probably undertake the project with an eye on having a useful product in the end.

Aah, I understand.

I went the The Blue Brain project website and emailed them asking if they had any plans of a DC project. I'll let you know if they email me back with anything.

#7 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

I've already asked them that. They said maybe next year, but they had no real plans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users