• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Ethical Issues in Advanced Artificial Intelligence

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 09:58 AM

Oxford philosopher Nick Bostrom has his own opinions about Singularity issues, set forth in these two documents, whose abstracts are pasted here for the convenience of readers:

Ethical Issues in Advanced Artificial Intelligence
URL: http://www.nickbostr.../ethics/ai.html

The ethical issues related to the possible future creation of machines with general intellectual capabilities far outstripping those of humans are quite distinct from any ethical problems arising in current automation and information systems. Such superintelligence would not be just another technological development; it would be the most important invention ever made, and would lead to explosive progress in all scientific and technological fields, as the superintelligence would conduct research with superhuman efficiency. To the extent that ethics is a cognitive pursuit, a superintelligence could also easily surpass humans in the quality of its moral thinking. However, it would be up to the designers of the superintelligence to specify its original motivations. Since the superintelligence may become unstoppably powerful because of its intellectual superiority and the technologies it could develop, it is crucial that it be provided with human-friendly motivations. This paper surveys some of the unique ethical issues in creating superintelligence, and discusses what motivations we ought to give a superintelligence, and introduces some cost-benefit considerations relating to whether the development of superintelligent machines ought to be accelerated or retarded.

How Long Before Superintelligence?
URL: http://www.nickbostr...telligence.html

This paper outlines the case for believing that we will have superhuman artificial intelligence within the first third of the next century. It looks at different estimates of the processing power of the human brain; how long it will take until computer hardware achieve a similar performance; ways of creating the software through bottom-up approaches like the one used by biological brains; how difficult it will be neuroscience figure out enough about how brains work to make this approach work; and how fast we can expect superintelligence to be developed once there is human-level artificial intelligence

#2 d_m_radetsky

• 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 02:20 AM

In the full article, Bostrom says:

To the extent that ethics is a cognitive pursuit, a superintelligence could do it better than human thinkers. This means that questions about ethics, in so far as they have correct answers that can be arrived at by reasoning and weighting up of evidence, could be more accurately answered by a superintelligence than by humans.

Now, if I were to say, "To the extent that hamster-juggling is a cognitive pursuit, a superintelligence could do it better than human thinkers" It would be clear that this was not an obviously meaningful statement, and that I would therefore be required to justify that hamster-juggling ought to be thought of as such. Similarly, it would seem that we are forced to ask ourselves in what ways ethics is a cognitive pursuit (given precisely what is meant here by "cognitive") if we are to determine whether the statement has any significance.

PS: What's up, Mike? My, haven't we been busy!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 MichaelAnissimov

• Topic Starter
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 01:16 AM

Hey Dan! Long time no see.

Ethics are meaningful because ethical decisions are what lead to better or worse outcomes for sentient beings globally. Ethics are cognitive because it is certain patterns of brain organization that create better or worse ethical solutions to challenging questions. Ethics are also cognitive in the sense that if a brain's clockspeed were accelerated by, say, a millionfold, the brain's speed of ethical decision-making would accelerate in tune.

#4 d_m_radetsky

• 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 04:04 AM

You've missed the point. I'm not challenging ethics as a meaningful subject (although perhaps I should). My statement was a challenge of the significance of Bostrom's statement:
To the extent that ethics is a cognitive pursuit, a superintelligence could do it better than human thinkers.
A good analogy is what set theorists call "vacuously true sentences." These are sentences where the hypothesis has an empty truth set. Consider this example from my book:
"For all prime numbers P such that 10 divides P, 3 also divides P."
This sentence is true because there are no P that 10 divides but 3 doesn't, but it's also vacuous because it says nothing. The point is that if ethics is only trivially cognitive, then Bostrom is right, but not significantly so. Ask yourself how many ethical issues have correct answers?
You mention an idea called "better or worse ethical solutions." I'm not sure exactly what you refer to here. If you mean, supposing we have a plot of land composed of various parcels of various to divide up among several people, a computer can determine the most equitable solution, I cannot disagree with you. Computers definitely do set theory computation better than we do (which, I understand, is part of the reason we call them what we do...). Is it clear that this is not all there is to ethics? Or is this all you meant?

#5 MichaelAnissimov

• Topic Starter
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 04:21 AM

How could ethics be anything but cognitive? "Ethical thought" is a decision process embedded within a certain kind of brain, automatically making it "cognitive". "Cognitive" is anything going on within a brain. For something to be "cognitive" does not mean it needs to have totally correct or totally incorrect answers. (As you seem to imply when you say "Ask yourself how many ethical issues have correct answers?")

Yes, I do think there is such a thing as better and worse ethical solutions; Hitler's ethical decisions, on average, were worse than Gandhi's. Right and wrong exist, but they are admittedly hard to define. Perhaps a benevolent transhuman intelligence could help us with coming up with more convincing and concrete definitions. Ethics are a rich, complex, high-level set of concepts, observations, and generalizations, and no simple "computer" could come even close to being altruistic or fair.

That's why it's important that the first superintelligence have a goal system sophisticated enough to understand empathy, sentience, and why they're important. As Bostrom says in the abstract, "Since the superintelligence may become unstoppably powerful because of its intellectual superiority and the technologies it could develop, it is crucial that it be provided with human-friendly motivations. " Bostrom does not disclude the possibility that the first superintelligence would be a cybernetically enhanced human as opposed to an AI. He is making statements about superintelligent ethics based on the assumption that transhuman AIs and transhuman enhanced humans would both be decision systems with their own ethics; if their ethics are not human-friendly, it doesn't matter where they originally came from, it's likely they could kill us quite fast. If they are human-friendly, then that would be good.

#6 d_m_radetsky

• 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 05:03 AM

Note, Mr. Anissimov, that you come from the Ghandi-esque school yourself. Hitler probably wouldn't have been able to stand Ghandi. However, I don't think this discussion is going to go very far, inasmuch as I'm a relativist, and you aren't. Personally, I imagine us in conversation with the first superintelligent program.

Anissimov: Have you figured out what good and evil are yet?
SIAI: You know, Mike, I've spent the last few minutes reading everything you guys have written on the subject since the inception of philosophy over and over again, and I haven't found a single concrete, justified exposition. I don't know what you want me to do.
Ani.: I told you already, we never did a very good job on it; we were hoping you could solve it for us.
SIAI: Well, where the hell do you want me to get it from? You want I should pull the fundamental measuring systems for all actions out of my figurative ass? I thought that was precisely what you wanted me to avoid.

The "moral" of the story is that we've never had a solid system of good vs. evil because they are metaphysical concepts. Kant pointed out that we can tell that metaphysics is a bogus science because all of the various treatises on the subject disagree. Nobody ever comes up with a system of physics, for example, that says the precise opposite of what the old theory did.

One more example: If I'm comparing cars, it's possible to do, because cars are supposed to do, like move, brake, turn, attract women, &c. Therefore, I can easily prefer a car which does these things to one that doesn't. But with systems of ethics I can do no such thing because there are no such things that a system (i.e. set of rules) of ethics is supposed to do; if there were, it would be just another rule

And as to the practical question which no doubt is bothering you: If friendly AI means an SIAI that won't kill you for the hell of it, that should be easy. But when it comes to arbiting difficult disputes involving metaphysical crap like "justified", our boy in binary will be on the ropes, because the way we use stupid cheats like that is not straightforward, but is dependent on the way we've come to live. We could make our SIAI just like us, but the point was to make him better than us. This is why I favor nanotechnological brain enhancement & life extension; at least *that* way, we know what we're getting into

#7 MichaelAnissimov

• Topic Starter
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 05:31 AM

Dan, you have a very well-crafted argument in favor of the "we can't program a Friendly AI because we can't say which physical systems correlate to benevolence, neutrality, or malevolence" viewpoint. (If that is what you are saying.) I suspect that this disagreement on the nature of ethics might actually be one of the most obvious differences between those who see Friendly AI as a really good idea and those who do not; it's just that most transhumanists aren't capable of articulating their viewpoint as well as you are (that is, if you are a transhumanist, which I am guessing, because you say you are in favor of nanotechnological brain enhancement.)

Okay, you're a moral relativist, and admittedly, Yudkowsky's works such as "Creating Friendly AI" and "A Galilean Dialogue on Friendliness" focus somewhat on arguing that there aspects of morality that we can agree upon, aspects of morality that aren't relativistic. The main idea is to build an AI around the notion of volitionism; the idea that people should have the right to do what they want, as long as they aren't violating the volition of others. We want an AI that helps people in ways they want to be helped - considering that we *must* confront AI eventually whether we like it or not, isn't this a fairly safe strategy?

If you aren't too busy, you might want to check out the short intro to the goals and principles of Friendly AI, located here: http://www.singinst....dly/whatis.html. The first paragraph reads "A "Friendly AI" is an AI that takes actions that are, on the whole, beneficial to humans and humanity; benevolent rather than malevolent; nice rather than hostile. The evil Hollywood AIs of The Matrix or Terminator are, correspondingly, "hostile" or "unFriendly". Friendly AI theory looks at minds as goal systems that generate and accomplish goals according to certain utility functions (which need not necessarily orbit around the observer). If you want to be a staunch moral relativist, then yes, Bostrom, Yudkowsky, and I advocate the creation of an AI that is altruistic, from the "Gandhi-school" rather than the Hitler one, whether or not that is contrary to every single person on Earth's preferences.

Every kind of morality is a physical pattern in a physical system; perhaps you would be interested in my post at http://imminst.org/f...T&f=56&t=323&s=, which explains this in as simple terms as possible. If we have a suitably powerful theory, then we will able to tell the difference between goal systems that act altruistically and those that act selfishly, preferentially creating altruistic, benevolent systems that contribute positively to sentientkind's quest of exploration and happiness. Fundamentally, it's no different than the challenge that a human being nanotechnologically enhancing his or her own brain would be like; if an altruistic human had the opportunity to enhance his or her own brain, they might be able to become genuinely altruistic, using their transhuman intelligence to accomplish humanitarian goals. Imagine a mind tracing out a trajectory in state space, going from the space labelled "psuedoselfish" to the space labelled "genuine altruism". With AI, we have the ability to fully dictate initial conditions, so why not start off the AI in the state space labelled "genuinely altruistic", to begin with? Isn't that less of a risk than letting a *human being* spark the Singularity?

All of this may be beside the point; there are powerful reasons to believe that general AI may come become nanotechnological brain enhancement, in which case we would have no choice but to accept the reality of AI-seed superintelligence. If you knew that the first superintelligence *had* to be an AI; what sort of AI would you design? That's the question we're asking.

#8 d_m_radetsky

• 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 06:04 AM

Let's see, where to start...
Okay, let us suppose we stipulate (and I'm not sure I buy this) that a good system of morality is volitionism; wonderful. Now, we probably agree that upon sparking the singularity, to borrow your phrase, the sparker will be in posession of immeasurable power. Suppose said sparker, be he agumented human or SIAI, decides, on the basis of pure altruism, to reserve this power for himself. He reasons that humans, with their attendant problems, are just going to kill themselves with whatever powerful combination of nanotechnology/superintelligence/cosmic deathrays/etc. we've managed to cook up by then. Instead, he'll use his powers for good, to improve everyone's condition. Regardless of how this improves my condition, doesn't this violate my volition by preventing me from using the new technology for whatever purpose I choose? I do not believe that a mind-reading SIAI (or augmented human) is feasible, so I (the SIAI/AH) cannot simply restrict technology to those I trust.

I realize that I cannot solve this problem, so I take another tack: I modify the brain of the aforementioned dissident so that he will not mind that he has no access to the technology. He is now much happier than before. Is it clear that I have still violated his volition?

I agree that if we could create a friendly SIAI (I'll address this some other time), it would probably be better for all concerned if it (or did we agree on "she"?) were in charge. However, if you agree with me on this point, you cannot at the same time assert volitionism; or rather, you can, but it doesn't look very good...

#9 NickH

• 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 06:34 AM

Hello! A couple of points which raised my interest:

However, I don't think this discussion is going to go very far, inasmuch as I'm a relativist, and you aren't.

How deep is your relativism? In some later quotes:

We could make our SIAI just like us, but the point was to make him better than us. This is why I favor nanotechnological brain enhancement & life extension; at least *that* way, we know what we're getting into

You seem to imply at least a local sense of improvement: brain enhancement (any particular directions) and life extension are concrete goals. The justification "we know what we're getting into" is a case of appealing to shared ethical principles. How divergent do you suppose humanity is, and how much does it matter? Mind you, this is a problem that we face now, and that any upload will face. It's not specific to AIs.

By AI I'm referring to any kind of "mind" which is intelligently designed, at least initially by humans, on all levels from the ground up. Being inspired by the biological examples we have around, sure, but trying for a redesign rather than a renovation. Evolution didn't design for self-enhancement and expandabilty in mind, but we could.

And as to the practical question which no doubt is bothering you: If friendly AI means an SIAI that won't kill you for the hell of it, that should be easy. But when it comes to arbiting difficult disputes involving metaphysical crap like "justified", our boy in binary will be on the ropes, because the way we use stupid cheats like that is not straightforward, but is dependent on the way we've come to live.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "dependent on the way we're come to live"? Do you argue that humans could arbitrate such difficult disputes better than AIs? Or that AIs won't be able to understand complex human notions related to ethics, rights, etc?

#10 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:32 PM

Michael you seem very down on humanity if you think we're inherantly selfish or a combination of selfish and altruistic does this stem from our primal natures? Also providing the AI will be benevolent one would hope that they would have our best interests in mind or else the whole idea is lost in the process. my question is do you think nano-technology can fix human imperfections particularly pertaining to our ability to reason well and other psychological problems like hate, fear, jealosy etc. And if nano-can fix this than I would hope it would get done as soon as possible so full fledged nano-tech is in full swing!

#11 d_m_radetsky

• 17 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:10 AM

A clarification:
It's not that the AI (I thought, foolishly, that SIAI stood for super-intelligent AI) would not in principle be able to wrap its mind around these concepts. The problem is in the way it would have to do it. It is a bit of a strong judgment, I'll admit, but my position is that justification &c. are not real things, but human behaviours. You couldn't explain them to the AI, because they are, in a certain strange way, part of us. If we had evolved differently, we would tend to create different systems of ethics. An AI could no doubt make herself over in such a way that she would understand these concepts, but the problem would be in the "making over." Note that the phrase "understanding these concepts" is misleading; these are not concepts, nor do we "understand" them. In any case, if an AI "understood" such things, she would have to be more or less "human", and like I said before, this is what the whole project was trying to avoid.

Of course, one could argue that you could still make an AI "better". Depending on the interpretation of better, that might be the case. Also, I imagine an objection about something like "subset modules": considering modular theory of the brain, our AI could create a set of human modules she could observe, but which would not have control of her. I'm skeptical of this, but it might well be put forward, given how speculative we are at this point.

Also, Nick, I don't think the point you raised really casts any aspersions on my relativism. I'm not sure how "we know what we're getting into" (which was supposed to be a point about how we have some experience with predicting human behaviour) is an appeal to shared ethical principles. That being the case, I offer this clarification in exchange for that one.

#12 MichaelAnissimov

• Topic Starter
  • 905 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:30 PM

Dfowler, I'm not down on humanity at all. Humanity is fine in and of itself, it could just accomplish a lot more with the assistance of friendly transhuman intelligence. There are people in pain and we owe it to them to take the fastest possible course to the alleviation of that pain. Humans clearly display a mix of altruistic and selfish behavior, and sure, you can attribute this to our "primal natures" if you want. Yes, AI should have our best interests in mind, or there is no point. Yes, the ability to manipulate the structure of our brain will allow us to quickly eliminate many human imperfections in the areas of reasoning and decision-making, plus allow us to have more complicated nd interesting emotions or the posthuman parallels thereof. Nanotechnology is one possible physical technology that would give us this ability.

Dan, statements like this definitely don't make me feel very convinced of your point of view; "You couldn't explain them to the AI, because they are, in a certain strange way, part of us." Any human behavior will be a high-level statistical regularity in reality; given enough observation or knowledge, it could be duplicated or even duplicated and improved. Also, I disagree with your comments along the lines of "because it's different, it has to have different values". This seems xenophobic towards AI to me, especially considering that we could theoretically create an AI with arbitrary similarity to human beings. One more thing I thoroughly disagree with is that an AI needs to be a human to understand altruism and compassion of which humans display some examples. Altruism and compassion can be thought of as "concepts", and they will be learned and programmed into the first AI, hopefully. That's what this entire paper argues, and I certainly suggest checking it out:

http://www.singinst.org/CFAI

Thanks for your participation; good conversation!

#13 NickH

• 22 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 08:58 PM

A clarification:
It's not that the AI (I thought, foolishly, that SIAI stood for super-intelligent AI) would not in principle be able to wrap its mind around these concepts. The problem is in the way it would have to do it. It is a bit of a strong judgment, I'll admit, but my position is that justification &c. are not real things, but human behaviours. You couldn't explain them to the AI, because they are, in a certain strange way, part of us. If we had evolved differently, we would tend to create different systems of ethics. An AI could no doubt make herself over in such a way that she would understand these concepts, but the problem would be in the "making over." Note that the phrase "understanding these concepts" is misleading; these are not concepts, nor do we "understand" them. In any case, if an AI "understood" such things, she would have to be more or less "human", and like I said before, this is what the whole project was trying to avoid.

If being more or less human is central to understanding what we mean by right and wrong and achieving it, clearly we want a more or less human AI. Clearly to me, at least, and that's what this Friendly AI would turn out to become. But how human would it have to be? It seems to me humans are far from optimal by our own standards, we can picture numerous potential improvements. This implies a space of "human-like, but better" minds which an AI could move into. The project is not trying to avoid "human" qualities, but to build upon the best of them, to move into the space of "human-like, but better" minds. There appear to be non-essential qualities, such as having minds implemented on meat, which we (tentatively) decide to leave out. There are directions of improvement which we (tentatively) move into: more rationality (that is, a greater grasp of truth), more altruism, greater self-determination and self-understanding, greater intelligence and so on. These may turn out to be bad choices and the AI should have the ability to fix them, even if the programmers didn't notice the problem.

How is a human behaviour not a real thing? Morality isn't solely implemented as concepts in a human mind, it runs much deeper than that. For sure, we don't understand completely how it works. This opens up the interesting technical issue of "How can we give the AI something we don't entirely understand?". We don't strictly need to understand how morality (or more generally our minds) works, although that'd be nice, we just do it. It's part of our species wide set of mind thingies, developed as a normal enough human infant is raised in a normal enough environment. It's certainly not clear from the outset this transfer is impossible, or more difficult to achieve than a successful direct human upgrade (ie. starting from a human base, rather than indirectly from a blank slate). One of the central ideas is "the effect is the map to the cause" -- by virtue of having a morality we partially point towards the human universals and personal philosophy that underlie and compose it. We can, roughly, tell the AI "as you become smarter you could understand and embody this *points to human morality* as we would; that's more what we meant".

You could argue that a human morality is the result not of any single human but a whole group of them interacting, and you'd be right. The final result depends on interactions between many humans. This does not get in the way of the AI picking up human morality patterns. I like to think of the significant aspects of our present reality, the system that attempts to achieve good things, as being a bunch of essentially disconnected blobs of mindstuff (individual humans), all pretty much the same shape (there are a few variants with significant chunks left out: those with significant brain damage, psychopaths, etc) and size. An AI is a new pattern of mindstuff, potentially a different size and shape, which can take on qualities of either individual human minds or interacting collections of them equally well -- it's not right to think of an AI as neccesarily more like a human than a society there of. This is mostly an aside.

Human morality could have evolved differently, there's no reason to think the particular path evolution took lead to an optimal end. It appears that some serious revision is in order, effectively undoing some "decisions" evolution has made (eg. making us rationalising animals, with an inconsistent and opaque goal/decision/desirability system). This is a problem for both humans and "human-like, but better" AIs.

Also, Nick, I don't think the point you raised really casts any aspersions on my relativism. I'm not sure how "we know what we're getting into" (which was supposed to be a point about how we have some experience with predicting human behaviour) is an appeal to shared ethical principles. That being the case, I offer this clarification in exchange for that one.

We have experience with predicting humans, this doesn't mean they're easy to predict just that we (in principle) know how well we can predict them. We have no experience with human augments or uploads. AIs could be more or less predictable depending on their designs. The human mind was not designed with forward planning in mind: there's no reason to expect it very easy to improve, even given a definite goal such as "improve memory ability without destroying anything important", without making some form of mistake. By contrast a Seed AI will have spend its entire existence around self-improvement and change, indeed around its creation, and will take more and more a part of this as it grows up. One would expect it to have a far greater technical ability to self-modify than humans. You could then say, roughly, "self-modify in the way an altruistic human upload would if it could" -- the "end result" would be equivalent to that of a altruistic human upload, but with far less chance for technical error.

There a lots of gaps in the above, naturally, and I'm not sure which ones in particular stick out to you. I'll leave that for you to explain ;)

I took your comment to be a justification for uploading, appealing to our desire to understand things to best achieve our goals. Strong relativism could hold that no such things exist, but in hindsight that's silly -- this is a reasonably mild principle you'd expect to pop up with any kind of intelligence, and you could none-the-less hold that locally humans can share ethical principles but not globally so. Or that globally we could share a whole bunch, but in principle we needn't.

To be honest, I'm still trying to work out exactly what you mean by the term "relativism". Do you mean humans, as a species, share no significant patterns in morality? Or that we don't share enough for "improving the world" to have any well-defined meaning? Or that our morality is centrally dependent on properties of humans? How does it lead to particular claims about future plans, such as human uploading being superior to AI?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#14 John Doe

• 291 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 06:12 AM

I am a moral relativist and I accused EY of being lazy with his moral philosophy. He responded:

Correct.  I've moved on since 2001 and have since, I hope, resolved those issues.  No, I have not written it up, though there's some scraps at:

http://sl4.org/bin/w...eOnFriendliness

I have not read that entire dialogue. I would just command the machine to "be nice". [lol]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users