• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Better Landing Page For ImmInst Promotion

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

The home page of ImmInst is great...for us. Not so great for a complete 'immortality' noob who is wondering what on earth we're all smoking. Sooooo...what would make a great landing page for new traffic to ImmInst?

We want the people who are already interested to have no resistence to their joining us, while still making ample information available to those who don't know yet, or are even opposed to the idea. The design should be simple, look good, and easy to read. I really don't think it should take long to put it together.

Any ideas?

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:19 AM

Pansie Ass Institute

Kidding!
Something like, Life Extension Network, or Healthy Life Extension Institute, or Health and Body Improvement, or whatever else.

#3 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

I don't think we're going to go with the new domain name idea. I'm just talking about a page to link to, www.imminst.org/intro or intro.imminst.org would suffice. Although a short domain name does still have advantages...

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:30 AM

I don't think we're going to go with the new domain name idea. I'm just talking about a page to link to, www.imminst.org/intro or intro.imminst.org would suffice. Although a short domain name does still have advantages...

All you are looking for is imminst.org/XXXX?

That is a fairly easy thing to come up with, I think. Doesn't really matter as long as it is easy to remember.

#5 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:58 AM

The page needs to clearly set itself apart from the Alex Chiu immortality magnet rings. That's almost exactly the antithesis of what we're after.

#6 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:04 AM

The goal of this thread is not to figure out the name of the page, but what content will go on the page... what will people see that will inspire them to support our cause, and participate in our movement?

#7 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:26 AM

I posted this a while back....as the full entry page.

Posted Image

You could always use this as a flash entry point perhaps minus the Imminst.org banner/ It outlines the mission in a lay non-kooky manner. The enter button could be a light switch to the side or bottom of page

#8 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:38 AM

You know, a flash version of that, which turns starts to fade, then splutters out into darkness could be very compelling...

#9 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:42 AM

Totally agree. The light slowing fading would be awesome. To the point where it flickers.

#10 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:27 AM

I think it would be cool to focus on the science almost like an issue of TechReview or Popular Science. We might even be able to either use a reprint of the Longevity Divident article or at least link to it.

#11 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:35 AM

OK, so picture this a completely black screen and the light and the words fade quickly into view. The light shines brightly for a while (presumedly while the visitor is reading the text) and then it starts to fade slowly until it gets low then it flickers three or four times and blacks out (leaving just the text).
In place of the light two options fade into view:
*Get Started/Engage/Participate...something to that effect
*Tell me more...

First option takes you straight into ImmInst as is, Second option takes you to a page with summaries of key science articles, a few key quotes from aubrey and other influential figures, and then a FAQ

#12 subjunk

• 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:38 AM

OK, so picture this a completely black screen and the light and the words fade quickly into view. The light shines brightly for a while (presumedly while the visitor is reading the text) and then it starts to fade slowly until it gets low then it flickers three or four times and blacks out (leaving just the text).
In place of the light two options fade into view:
*Get Started/Engage/Participate...something to that effect
*Tell me more...

First option takes you straight into ImmInst as is, Second option takes you to a page with summaries of key science articles, a few key quotes from aubrey and other influential figures, and then a FAQ

Sounds awesome!

#13 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:43 AM

what about a the switch

here

Posted Image

we could even use this picture. The switch would take them to the page. The switch of course is a nice little metaphor

#14 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:20 AM

I can't imagine how that switch would work into the fading of the light though.

#15 futureofscience

• 182 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

I think it would be cool to focus on the science almost like an issue of TechReview or Popular Science. We might even be able to either use a reprint of the Longevity Divident article or at least link to it.

I was discussing this back in the other thread and I still would like to push the idea of having the key ideas with concise, factual articles. So take an idea, explain it in simple terms, give factual evidence (possibly with links to journal papers/articles) and then associated links, give people the ideas and let them explore for themselves.

For example, with the who reservatrol issue, I'm interested but I have enough to do without wanting to trudge through the huge number of postings about it to get the facts as opposed to the opinions. It would be good to have someone (suitably qualified) to write a concise article about what the research has shown, the links to this research etc.

#16 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

I was discussing this back in the other thread and I still would like to push the idea of having the key ideas with concise, factual articles. So take an idea, explain it in simple terms, give factual evidence (possibly with links to journal papers/articles) and then associated links, give people the ideas and let them explore for themselves.

For example, with the who reservatrol issue, I'm interested but I have enough to do without wanting to trudge through the huge number of postings about it to get the facts as opposed to the opinions. It would be good to have someone (suitably qualified) to write a concise article about what the research has shown, the links to this research etc.

And this is exactly what I want to. This is what I think the people who follow the 'Learn more' option should go to.

Do we have any volunteers to put together such a thing? If not, then I will do it (eventually).

By the same token, do we have any volunteers to put together the above mentioned flash landing page (the fade out and flichering light bulb)? Once again, if no one volunteers, I will get to it too.

#17 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

And this is exactly what I want to. This is what I think the people who follow the 'Learn more' option should go to.

Do we have any volunteers to put together such a thing? If not, then I will do it (eventually).

By the same token, do we have any volunteers to put together the above mentioned flash landing page (the fade out and flichering light bulb)? Once again, if no one volunteers, I will get to it too.

I just did a real simple flash file with some images I downloaded of a light bulb and a light switch (since I didn't have the originals) More complexity can easily be added.

Since flash files aren't allowed as attachments, I had to upload it elsewhere:
(makes you wait a minute or so to get download link)

It is really simple, just 3 images, and a sound file (the click from the flip of the switch).

#18 subjunk

• 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:48 PM

I just did a real simple flash file with some images I downloaded of a light bulb and a light switch (since I didn't have the originals) More complexity can easily be added.

It is really simple, just 3 images, and a sound file (the click from the flip of the switch).

The filesize is well over what is reasonable already. What's taking up all that space? I can optimize whatever it is if you want

#19 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

The filesize is well over what is reasonable already. What's taking up all that space? I can optimize whatever it is if you want

Oh, I don't have any idea. I have never really created flash files before. I just opened up Macromedia Flash and plopped the images in there. I was mainly just messing around with it just because I was bored. If you are good at creating flash stuff, go for it. (I am much better with Photoshop ;)) )

#20 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

The idea behind the switch is to turn the light back on. Aging and death = darkness, youth and life = light.

#21 Aegist

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

I get the idea, but that lightswitch is on an image with a well illuminated white wall. That image siply doesn't fit into the dark one with the light bulb.

However a lightswitch without a background could work. I was thinking about it last night: after the light splutters out, two lightswitches fade up, click the one on the left and the light reverts to a dim spluttering and the text "Still unsure?" shows up. Flick the right one and the light shines brightly, and you see the words "Enter"

(enter takes you to ImmInst, Unsure takes you to the second landing page with evidence etc as talked about previously)

Edit: Actually, they should have that affect on hover, and clicking the switch takes you in...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users