• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

ImmInst 100 Pledge

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

No doubt, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Considering the success of the MPrize's Three Hundred, and internalizing ideas collected from Sebastian's Brainstorming next (Full Member only) discussion, I propose ImmInst's next major step be the implementation of the ImmInst 100 Pledge.

Since 2002, ImmInst has shown good success by establishing an active forum (more than 2,800 Basic Members and more than 200 Full Members). We've published our first book, SCOD, with sales of more than 700 in the past 11 months. We've hosted our first conference, with attendance of more than 150 in Atlanta, and we've completed our first film, Exploring Life Extension, including more than 50 visionaries and scientists.

While the book was sponsored by ImmInst membership dues, the conference & film, on the other hand, were highly subsidized by a number of individuals and organizations:

ImmInst Film: http://www.imminst.o...ilm.php#Funding
ImmInst Conference: http://imminst.org/c...rence/#Sponsors

Therefore, without considerable sponsorship, ImmInst is unable to sustain large-scale projects. While $20 - $50 per year, from around two hundred ImmInst Full Members is currently valuable, this level of funding will not allow ImmInst the opportunity to take things to the "Next Level" in any near-term scenario.

So, what is the Next Level?

Ultimately, I envision ImmInst creating an office in DC, or elsewhere. With an office, ImmInst will systematically influence decision makers to the benefit of our members and the mission to overcome involuntary death for everyone. An office with a handful of paid and volunteer staff members would allow us the energy to more efficiently raise money, more efficiently influence decision makers in DC (lobbying) and elsewhere, and more effectively implement projects (better conferences, films, journals, books, etc).

What is the goal of the ImmInst 100 Pledge?

The goal of the ImmInst 100 Pledge is to raise enough money for a DC office(or elsewhere) and hire two employees so that we may 1) more effectively solicit donations 2) influence legislation by creating coalitions, and 3) advance our advocacy projects.

I suggest this only happen after we secure more than 1M in funding+pledges.

Thus, a near-term strategy toward this goal is to secure at least 100 one-time pledges averaging $10,000.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

The ImmInst 100 Pledge has yet to gain ImmInst Board approval, but to get a general feel for the potential of this idea.... would you pledge toward this goal.. and if so, at what level?

For example, I would currently pledge 5K.

#3 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:47 PM

This is a sound idea, although the details may need to be worked on. We'll see what the other members think about it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:22 AM

More details for certain.. but definitely worth pursuing.. it basically comes down to a tolerable amount per month that doesn't bite into one's budget too hard. I think pledging towards particular goals might be worth exploring rather than just amounts.

#5 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:00 AM

I agree. The MPrize has a specific goal in mind, rather than a monetary one. Once the details of this are fleshed out a bit more, then I'm sure you'd have overwhelming support from the masses, at least for its approval.

Some thoughts that came to mind to help flesh this out:
1. What are the responsibilities of these paid individuals? Should they be people familiar with law? Public relations? Business?
2. Should these paid individuals be required (or encouraged) to actively participate on the forums, or even in its leadership or directorship? Considering the level of involvement on a full-time basis, the individuals may have insight into news and other matters many members currently don't.
3. Continuing with your implied monetary goal of $100K+, what exactly does that get in DC? Would this be a permanent place as opposed to a rental that would continually need funding?

Other than these points, I think this is a great idea. One of the main questions I heard being asked at the conference by non-members was "Where is ImmInst located?" So far, the only real answer is "online" or "Bruce's basement." (Hehe, not that you're running it from your basement - I really have no idea.) [lol]

#6 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for questions, Joel.

Before taking action to open a DC office, the goal is to secure $1 Million in pledges. This amount would allow a large enough asset cushion to fund two employees and office space for a minimum of two years. During this time a team of paid and volunteer members would develop a systematic approach toward sustainable income from donations and other methods (book sales, conferences, etc).

As alluded, the most important decision would be who are the initial employees... a decision that would take into account all aspects of the individuals experience, character and commitment to ImmInst's mission.

#7 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:12 PM

There is a general argument that Imminst needs some funding if it is to grow.

The question is: what does it want to grow into?

If you think it should be a lobbying body, what would it lobby for?
People tend to think that 'immortality' is something that you could throw money and attention at and out comes the pill. Not so. Early stage drastic life extension is likely a complex amalgam of technology.
Now, we don't have to tell people that, but I should think that most donors would figure that out before they pledge hundreds of thousands.

What I personally would like to see is a place that monitors developments and regularly informs about what is happening in the various fields. That would be something truly valuable, because however well informed you try to be it is impossible to be aware of all possibilities.
This can be combined with lobbying and other efforts, but I would place a secondary emphasis on that.

#8 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:24 PM

I think Immortality Reports and Lobbying Efforts should be implemented in tandem to ensure maximum effect. We need a platform. Hosting our own press conferences in DC to present our reports may be one goal.

#9 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:29 PM

I'm starting to envision a press conference event sometime in late 2006 where ImmInst would unveil the second book, a longevity report and a special announcement signed by more than 100 gerontologists (cureaging.org).

This event would be optimized if held on some symbolic date... anniversary or Darwin's birthday or something.

#10 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:34 PM

Hmm...

January 17, 2006, Benjamin Franklin’s 300th birthday

Darwin's 200th Birthday will occur on February 12, 2009

#11 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:38 PM

Hmm..

The discipline of Artificial Intelligence (AI) was born in the summer of 1956
http://www.isi.imi.i...vents/ASAI50MV/

#12 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

I know I am resurrecting this thread, but since I am new to the full members area, and since hankconn just mentioned a similar fundraising concept, I thought I would reply.

I like the idea of having it on a historically significant day to increase attention.

Bruce said late in the year of 2006, I looked through some of the stuff in December on this website:
Dec. 7, 2006 65th anniversary of Pearl Harber (theme: go to war on aging?)
Dec. 10, 2006 Emily Dickenson's 120th birthday (theme: something to do with literature?)
Dec 11, 2006 25th anniversary of Muhamad Ali's last fight (theme: knock out aging?)
Dec. 15, 2006 215th anniversary of the Bill of Rights (theme: some type of aging declaration?)
also on Dec 15, 2006 40th anniversary of the death of Walt Disney (theme: ?)

I am sure if we searched enough we could find some other famous days in different months. November 7th is election day, so that might not be a good day to do it, people will be paying attention to other stuff. :)

:)

#13 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:53 PM

Thanks, Nate.

This project is still in a holding pattern... but, Susan and I will host a dinner (White Flint Dinner) here in DC next month (Apr-06) for Daniel Perry, Alliance for Aging Research: Executive Director and co-author of the recent Longevity Dividend article, plus Dave Gobel CEO of Mprize, where we look to discuss ideas on how to most effectivly leverage the life extension message http://www.cureaging.org when bringing our ideas to congress/media later this year.

#14 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, Nate.

This project is still in a holding pattern... but, Susan and I will host a dinner (White Flint Dinner) here in DC next month (Apr-06) for Daniel Perry, Alliance for Aging Research: Executive Director and co-author of the recent Longevity Dividend article, plus Dave Gobel CEO of Mprize, where we look to discuss ideas on how to most effectivly leverage the life extension message http://www.cureaging.org when bringing our ideas to congress/media later this year.

Sweet! You guys can be the three muskateers of anti-aging websites...or something like that.

:)

#15 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, would like to get some imput from Bill Faloon from LEF.org too..

#16 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

Dec 15, 2006 40th anniversary of the death of Walt Disney (theme: ?)

Theme: Longevity is fun for the whole family! [lol]

#17 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:38 AM

Hmm 1 million dollars. You know thats not really a hard number to reach. I think sometimes we go about fundraising in an entirely different manner. We keep looking for those big donations. I think we need to work on a lower level of donations. We have people spread out around the country. Look at the march of dimes. Mostly gumball machines.

#18 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:45 AM

Hmm  1 million dollars. You know thats not really a hard number to reach. I think sometimes we go about fundraising in an entirely different manner. We keep looking for those big donations. I think we need to work on a lower level of donations. We have people spread out around the country. Look at the march of dimes. Mostly gumball machines.

Maybe we can set up some imminst gumball machines...or start having kids go door to door like that one little girl did for the M-Prize.

;)

#19 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Yea that was great. I mean even if we had to put a spin on it because were not just fighting aging were fighting alzeimers too...... So maybe some Alzeimers Gumball machines:P

#20 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:07 PM

I agree, you would certainly get a greater return if more people felt they could contribute. I think the 100x$1000 donations was more of a general guideline anyway. Different people will be able to contribute different amounts depending on their circumstances.

#21 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:01 AM

The important thing is to have a high-profile program that works. Imminst is in great need of the funding to make the step to the next level, as the Singularity Institute managed. Part of the process to ensure that happens is to get good-looking flypaper laid out in advance, and make sure everything is run in the most professional manner possible.

#22 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:40 PM

I am new here, but I also dont want to see resources possibly wasted.

I know the whole lobbying thing is just an idea or suggestion. I dont know about others, but even though I am very young, I have had quite a lot of exposure to this area of politics. Mainly the exposure has been in the telecommunications and education sectors, but there is a redundancy that goes for all policy/decision making. The amount of money that could be raised wouldnt amount to much of anything in the circle of politics, whereas it could be very valuable elsewhere.

IMO, it would be best spent getting as many people in this country familiarized with life extension as possible. Public exposure would mean much more than DC exposure. I am sure some activity there in DC would be great, but I also think the point of diminishing returns is reached very quickly. I would be extremely cautious of spending money on DC exposure unless it is sure that it would not be better spent elsewhere.

From the short time I have been here, I have seen that many people here in this forum are associated with, or have some sort of connection with, other organisations with the same goals as the Immortality Institute. This is apparent after watching for only a little while, but was not apparent as an "outsider". I think it is very important for the organisations with similar goals to try and feel, to the outsider, that they are an interconnected force. Otherwise each organisation is fighting its own crusade without building off of the momentum of each other, and possibly even diluting each others resources and exposure instead of increasing them.

Reason's post above is right on. I also think that part of the "fly paper" is to connect the life extension communities as much as possible, without hurting each organisations individual efforts. People want the feeling of momentum, they want the feeling that they are part of something bigger than just one site or organisation, they want to feel secure that the effort is not just a drop in the bucket. I think with a little creativity this can be done in a manner that can ensure the biggest bang for the buck. Making sure that exposure to one organisation is exposure for the whole network of life extension would be on the top of my list of to-dos.

#23 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

Good thoughts, cnorwood!

I don't know if I think that efforts in DC would be totally wasted, but more interconnectivity between our various factions would seem to be very beneficial to our overall goals.

;)

#24 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:20 PM

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be very little incentive to become a full fee-paying member at the present time. Of course there is the spirit of being involved, and for many of us I am sure that would be enough, but I believe a greater influx of members and funds would result from incentives. The full-member fee could even be raised, as long as everyone could feel they were receiving something worthwhile. I have no idea currently of what such incentives could be though, this is really just an observation.
Perhaps look to other similar organisations for ideas. Of course they would have to be of interest to the life-extension community.

#25 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:05 PM

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be very little incentive to become a full fee-paying member at the present time. Of course there is the spirit of being involved, and for many of us I am sure that would be enough, but I believe a greater influx of members and funds would result from incentives. The full-member fee could even be raised, as long as everyone could feel they were receiving something worthwhile. I have no idea currently of what such incentives could be though, this is really just an observation.
Perhaps look to other similar organisations for ideas. Of course they would have to be of interest to the life-extension community.

Perhaps an email addres @imminst.org could be something given only to full members, which would also cut down on the total space required (and bandwidth) for the email idea, as well as providing an extra incentive. I am sure we could come up with others (I am guessing preferrably low to no cost ones, like the email idea) if we put our minds to it.

#26 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:39 AM

Yeah, good idea Live Forever. I agree with the low-cost incentives, also maybe working with our sponsors and others to provide benefits for full members.

#27 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:36 PM

As an update, we hosted a dinner recently here in N. Bethesda, MD (just north of DC) for Dan Perry, Alliance for Aging Research: Executive Director, such that if we do move forward with a more lobbyist focused approach for ImmInst, Dan may provide valuable guidance.

#28 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

By the way, while having an office in DC would allow for more networking opportunities, we could really open an office anywhere. Officially, ImmInst currently lives inside Jay's laptop :)

#29 stephen

• 202 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:59 PM

I think an office and a few full-time employees would be an excellent idea. DC would be nice, but expensive. I've always thought that ImmInst would be perfectly suited to work on the public awareness / lobbying side of things more than working on scientific solutions. The profit motive will drive research. Social activism is a niche we can fill that might not be provided for by corporations / academic institutions.

That said, I pledge $1K. I would match Bruce's $5K if a reasonable plan of action were put forward.

I agree with cnorwood, though. Lots of money is thrown around in DC. $1 million spent on TV commercials might bring in better PR and large-$ donors than two years of lobbying. (Or some other advertising campaign).

#30 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:18 PM

Great, Stephen... you are ImmInst 100's #2 pledge [thumb]

Unless we have a gigantic commitment from out of the blue, we are likely about 2+ years away from calling up these pledges. During this time, we will improve the plan of action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users