• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Sunday chats

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:32 AM

I thought the Sunday night chats ImmInst used to do were awesome. I'm kind of sad that they ended. What was the problem?

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:43 AM

We've had some great chats:
http://www.imminst.o...rchive/chat.php

The limiting factor has been my current focus to advance a for-profit AI company, Novamente LLC. However, I encourage others to take the Sunday night chat torch and run! Please feel free to find a chat participant and then notify ImmInst Leadership.

#3 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

What kinda participant would we be looking for? I never got to do much on the chats. Never even noticed we had a chat until about a week ago......

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

There were the two of us, but more are needed!

#5 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

What kinda participant would we be looking for?

...any individual who is interested in Life Extension and willing to impart wisdom. Best place to get ideas is the archive: http://www.imminst.o...rchive/chat.php

#6 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:03 PM

I'm in there all the time, but I am usually busy in the evenings. 9-6pm EST on weekdays, I am always available to chat (just don't tell my employer). :)

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:29 PM

I'm in there all the time, but I am usually busy in the evenings.  9-6pm EST on weekdays, I am always available to chat (just don't tell my employer). :)

I have been in there a couple times recently during the day, and I see funkodyssey and opales in there often when I am. I would like to see the chat become more popular though.

:)

#8 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

It would be cool to do these as large-scale conference calls and then podcast them. Having a guest speaker on these periodically would be cool. I guess the cost is really the issue as these services aren't that cheap but we may see some VOIP stuff that works over the internet over the next couple of years.

#9 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

It would be cool to do these as large-scale conference calls and then podcast them.  Having a guest speaker on these periodically would be cool.  I guess the cost is really the issue as these services aren't that cheap but we may see some VOIP stuff that works over the internet over the next couple of years.

You can make conference calls with Skype, as I am willing to bet you can with some of the other VOIP apps out there (ZOEP, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, etc.). I have also seen various programs out there that record Skype sessions to an .mp3 for podcasting (some people call it Skypecasting if you do it like this).

Cool idea (and more importantly, free!) if we could get some people willing to do it. I would be willing to help out anyone trying to get this off the ground (I don't think it would be too time consuming, just getting people to all show up at the same time would be the biggest challenge). Could be used for "debates" as well or a variety of other applications.

#10 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:34 AM

Sounds Like a plan I think we need more tahn just the written word to get our thoughts together.

I am a big fan of voip. I use myphonecompany.com for my homephone. 24.99 no long distance about 3 cents overseas. I can call Montana as easy and as free as calling my local walmart. Its not on my comp its plugged into a router and then into a small box that looks like a wall jack and then to regular old cordless phone.
I can even set up a local number for free anywhere in the US. So if anyone needed to call me often I could make it a local call.

I downloaded a free mysql database radio broadcaster the other day , Gonna play with it on my site might be helpful here if I ever get time. Oh yea as far as conference calls cheaply all we need is a teamspeak server we have one for my guild on wow up to 20 connections and it works well. The server we have is a 15 dollar a month server. But if a memebr had a pretty nice comp you can get the software and attempt to run it .

So options for new chat program

1. Voip
2. Teamspeak
3. Rogerwilco

There are numerous Teamspeak like programs out there rogerwilco is one and Id have to research to name them all.

#11 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:34 AM

Sounds Like a plan I think we need more tahn just the written word to get our thoughts together.

I am a big fan of voip. I use myphonecompany.com for my homephone. 24.99 no long distance about 3 cents overseas. I can call Montana as easy and as free as calling my local walmart. Its not on my comp its plugged into a router and then into a small box that looks like a wall jack and then to regular old cordless phone.
I can even set up a local number for free anywhere in the US. So if anyone needed to call me often I could make it a local call.

I downloaded a free mysql database radio broadcaster the other day , Gonna play with it on my site might be helpful here if I ever get time. Oh yea as far as conference calls cheaply all we need is a teamspeak server we have one for my guild on wow up to 20 connections and it works well. The server we have is a 15 dollar a month server. But if a memebr had a pretty nice comp you can get the software and attempt to run it .

So options for new chat program

1. Voip
2. Teamspeak
3. Rogerwilco

There are numerous Teamspeak like programs out there rogerwilco is one and Id have to research to name them all.

#12 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:49 AM

The main benefit that I see with Skype is that a lot of people have it, but whatever people wanted to use, I would figure out and use that.

#13 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:21 AM

Skype is free But Ive never tried it Does it support conference calls?

Oh yea and if ya ever wanna try teamspeak Live just ask Ill set ya up with our channel and password and you can see how it works versus skype. Ill play around with skype when I get time.

Oh yea Im lancelot1700 on yahoo messenger if anyone wants to chat about this or other topics......

#14 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:20 AM

Skype is free But Ive never tried it Does it support conference calls?

I have never actually tried it either, but it looks fairly simple and I know lots of people are always talking about it on here, plus it is the biggest VOIP provider. As I linked to in my original point, they apparently do support conference calls. Again, I don't really care, I was just making one suggestion, I just think it might be a nice change of pace from the regular chat (and hopefully get some more people on the chat). I guess I would need to get a headset though. :)

#15 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:18 AM

I agree it would make chat better.

#16 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

Last I checked (1mth ago) Skype has a limit on free conf. calls up to 5 people. Also, good benefit comes from archiving text chats.

#17 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

Aah, yea I did a search and it looks like Skype is limited to either 5 or 10 people.

I remember awhile back using some Yahoo chat rooms that allowed you to use both text chatting as well as voice chatting (audio) at the same time, it was pretty neat. If we did ever come up with a voice chat, we could record an .mp3 of the chat and archive it as well, I expect.

I would just like to see some regular text chat at the moment though, since it seems as if that has slowed down. (doesn't even have to be any "official" chats, just more people in the chat room throughout the day)

#18 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

Text chats are preferable, in that they are text-searchable, which helps in the archives.

#19 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:34 PM

Text chats are preferable, in that they are text-searchable, which helps in the archives.

I'm not trying to be argumentative (really I'm not!), but I don't think that the scope of new projects should be limited to text-searchability because that would limit a lot of audio/video/etc. things that might be available to bringing in new people and generating interest. If something generated interest, but did not have text-searchability (including audio chats) I do not think it should be discounted for that reason alone.

That being said, the lack of text chats as of late makes me think that it is not the right time to try to "expand" this feature anyway.

#20 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

I'm not trying to be argumentative (really I'm not!), but I don't think that the scope of new projects should be limited to text-searchability because that would limit a lot of audio/video/etc. things that might be available to bringing in new people and generating interest. If something generated interest, but did not have text-searchability (including audio chats) I do not think it should be discounted for that reason alone.

I know, I didn't say text chats are mandatory, just preferable. Actually, if we had someone willing to either transcribe audio chats, or at least give time indexes to key statements of interest (with transcriptions of the key statements if possible), that would alleviate most of my concerns about text-searchability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users