• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

MPrize going for an end run..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:53 PM

Hello all,

The University of California has just announced the awarding of the the first MPrize Revjuvenation Prize to Stephen Spindler.

http://www.newsroom....play.cgi?id=946

The meme is growing!

There is a huge pent up hunger for longer healthier life spans and the MPrize is driving the first cracks in the wall of apathy and hopelessness that humanity has engrained for millenia.

The growth of the Prize parallels the growing awareness of the possibility that death, just maybe, can be averted for just a little longer and at that point hope will start to infiltrate the minds of many. The sooner we get the Prize value higher the faster we can save the lives of many.

It is certain that the members of ImmInst and the transhuman community are among the most vociferous and vocal supporters of the MPrize. A vision of an open ended future is shared by all, regardless of what shape this future may take from our own perspective. If we can't serve as the nucleus of accelerating change to that open ended future, who then will do so?

Would you like to be part of the wedge that is critical to opening the floodgates of funding for aging research? Do not think small donations are ineffective. Even the smallest pebble can be the one to start a landslide.

I'm asking for the help of the membership because of an opportunity which requires some speed.

Michael Cooper, a member of the CR society, would like to drive us above the $100,000 cash mark before the end of the year. He has committed to donate $23,700 of NYSE stock to the Longevity Prize. He will do this IF we get what it takes to top the $50,000 mark in the Longevity Prize - which will trigger Bob Gelfond's $5,000 challenge funds.

The short of it is that we need only another $2000, but we need it fast. Between our own resources and those of our immediate friends in the life-extension world, I believe we can. Can you help us relieve Michael Cooper of his precious stock before the end of the year runs out?

As I've said before.. I'm no millionaire but I believe strongly that it will take putting my money where my mouth is to encourage others to do the same, and it is only by action that we will see change, so I'm putting a $100 bucks in over and above my regular MPrize commitment. Anyone else?

#2 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:18 PM

Hey Kevin, looks like you beat me to the punch!

Pushing for a "M"erry Christmas!, seeking immediate donations!

Briefly:

It's a sort of meta-prize.  Prizes traditionally generate about 16
times their value in research, or so we've been saying.  In this case,
we need $30,568.11 to get the Longevity Prize to $50,000.00.

$28,695.62 of that money is already pledged: $23,700 from Michael
Cooper, $2,000 from Reason, and I see $2995.62 in matching funds.
However, that money is contingent on being able to raise another
$1,872.49.  I'm already committing $100, so we still need $1,772.49.
Imagine that!  Just $1,772.49 can trigger an additional $28,795.62 of
donations, which will itself trigger another $5,000 of funds.  That's
a 16:1 return on our money, not including Bob Gelfond's $5,000
challenge!  A meta-prize for the M Prize!

#3 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:49 PM

'meta-prize'... like it..

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users