Photo
- - - - -

Strattera

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 salesman

• 115 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

I found this from wiki. I was woundering if anyone experienced increased anxiety while on Strattera?

Edited by salesman, 24 September 2006 - 07:27 PM.

#2 poser

• Guest, F@H
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:45 AM

Highly individual.

Those with lower moods might be more susceptible.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:51 AM

I found this from wiki.  I was woundering if anyone experienced increased anxiety while on Strattera?

I've only felt increased focus from strattera, and, of course, super lame sexual side effects...try googling sexual side effects in the same search as strattera...

Hey salesman: how is Strattera working for you?

#4 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:20 AM

well it has helped out a little bit so far. I still have trouble sitting down to concentrate on homework. It is now day 5 and today was the first day that I took the 80mg. The 4 days before that I was taking 40mg. So we will see i really like the initial effect i get from taking it after an hour then it wears off pretty quick. Im not going to be biased though because the common thing for people on this drug is to get impatient. My doc told me to take it once in the morning and then in the afternoon so that i wouldnt get the upset stomach. What do you think about that nootropikamil? Dont you think that it would take away from the focus that i need the most in the morning? I have been drinking coffee along with taking it is this ok? I think i remmeber you saying to not eat anything when taking it but doc said to eat something. I think it varies with different people on if they get upset stomach or not. I will keep you all posted.

#5 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

Oh i also read somewhere they if you take l-tyrosine that it would inhance the effect of Strattera because tyrosine produces dopamine and norepinephrine. Can anyone back this claim?

#6 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:30 AM

L-tyrosine is a precursor to norepinephrine and dopamine. Another nickname for norepinephrine is noradrenaline.

Also -- it is much more:

From PRRhealth:

L-Tyrosine

TRADE NAMES
Rxosine (Tyson Neutraceuticals), Free-Form L-Tyrosine (Solaray), Tyrosine Power (Nature's Herbs).

DESCRIPTION
L-tyrosine is a protein amino acid. It is classified as a conditionally essential amino acid.
Under most circumstances, the body can synthesize sufficient L-tyrosine, principally from L-phenylalanine, to meet its physiological demands. However, there are conditions where the body requires a dietary source of the amino acid for its physiological demands. For example, L-tyrosine is an essential amino acid for those with phenylketonuria. L-tyrosine is found in proteins of all life forms. Dietary sources of L-tyrosine are principally derived from animal and vegetable proteins. Vegetables and juices contain small amounts of the free amino acid. The free amino acid is also found in fermented foods such as yogurt and miso.

In addition to being involved in protein synthesis, L-tyrosine is a precursor for the synthesis of the catecholamines epinephrine, norepinephrine and dopamine, the thyroid hormones thyroxine and triiodothyronine, and the pigment melanin.

L-tyrosine is also known as beta- (para-hydroxyphenyl) alanine, alpha-amino-para-hydroxyhydrocinnamic acid and (S)- alpha-amino-4-hydroxybenzenepropanoic acid. It is abbreviated as either Tyr of by its one-letter abbreviation Y. The molecular formula of L-tyrosine is C9H10NO3, and its molecular weight is 181.19 daltons. L-tyrosine is an aromatic amino acid with the following structural formula:

Posted Image

ACTIONS AND PHARMACOLOGY
ACTIONS
L-tyrosine has putative antidepressant activity.

MECHANISM OF ACTION
The mechanism of L-tyrosine's putative antidepressant activity may be accounted for by the precursor role of L-tyrosine in the synthesis of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine. Elevated brain norepinephrine and dopamine levels are thought to be associated with antidepressant effects.

PHARMACOKINETICS
Following ingestion, L-tyrosine is absorbed from the small intestine by a sodium-dependent active transport process. L-tyrosine is transported from the small intestine to the liver via the portal circulation. In the liver, L-tyrosine is involved in a number of biochemical reactions, including protein synthesis and oxidative catabolic reactions. L-tyrosine that is not metabolized in the liver is distributed via the systemic circulation to the various tissues of the body.

INDICATIONS AND USAGE
Results are mixed, but largely negative, with respect to claims that tyrosine is an effective antidepressant. Claims that it can alleviate some of the mental and physical symptoms of environmental stress are based on preliminary evidence. Further claims that tyrosine is useful in narcolepsy and attention deficit disorder have been refuted by some studies. Another study found that tyrosine supplementation did not improve neuropsychological performance in subjects with phenylketonuria. Claims that tyrosine is helpful in alleviating symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and drug withdrawal are largely anecdotal and unconfirmed. There is no evidence tyrosine has any effect on dementia, Alzheimer's disease or Parkinson's disease.

RESEARCH SUMMARY
Two small, early studies suggested that tyrosine might have useful antidepressant effects. A subsequent follow-up with more subjects and conducted in a randomized, double-blind fashion failed to find any significant antidepressant activity, compared with placebo, in subjects with major depression. The dose used was 100 mg/kg/day of tyrosine for four weeks.

One study has concluded that tyrosine can protect against some forms of environmental stress. Subjects were given a 100 mg/kg dose of tyrosine and then exposed for 4.5 hours to cold and hypoxia in this double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study. Tyrosine was reported to significantly decrease adverse symptoms, including mood and performance impairment. Follow-up is needed.

In another double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, tyrosine had no significant effect on subjects with narcolepsy and associated cataplexy. Dose used was 9 grams daily for four weeks. Similarly, tyrosine failed to produce lasting, significant improvement in subjects with attention deficit disorder. In this small, open study, tyrosine seemed to improve this condition after two weeks of supplementation, but this improvement was not sustained.

Recently, tyrosine was tested to see if it could improve the neuropsychological test performances of individuals with phenylketonuria. This was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study. Maximum dosage used was 100 to 150 mg/kg/day. The supplementation increased plasma tyrosine concentrations. Higher tyrosine levels correlated at baseline with improved performance on the neuropsychological tests, yet higher concentrations achieved through supplementation in this trial did not enhance test scores.

CONTRAINDICATIONS, PRECAUTIONS, ADVERSE REACTION
CONTRAINDICATIONS
L-tyrosine is contraindicated in those with the inborn errors of metabolism alkaptonuria and tyrosinemia type I and type II. It is also contraindicated in those taking non-selective monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors. L-tyrosine is contraindicated in those hypersensitive to any component of an L-tyrosine-containing supplement.

PRECAUTIONS
Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid supplementation with L-tyrosine.

Those with hypertension should exercise caution in the use of L-tyrosine.

Those with melanoma should avoid L-tyrosine supplements.

ADVERSE REACTIONS
L-tyrosine is generally well tolerated. There are some reports of those taking supplemental L-tyrosine experiencing insomnia and nervousness.

INTERACTIONS
DRUGS
Non-selective MAO inhibitors: including phenelzine sulfate, tranylcypromine sulfate and pargyline HC1 — Concomitant use of L-tyrosine and non-selective MAO inhibitors may cause hypertension.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Those who use supplemental L-tyrosine typically take 500 to 1500 mg daily.

HOW SUPPLIED
Capsules — 300 mg, 500 mg

Powder

Tablets — 300 mg, 500 mg, 1000 mg

LITERATURE
Banderet LE, Lieberman HR. Treatment with tyrosine, a neurotransmitter precursor, reduces environmental stress in humans. Brain Res Bull. 1989; 22:759-762.

Elwes RD, Crewes H, Chesterman LP, et al. Treatment of narcolepsy with L-tyrosine: double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 1989; 2(8671):1067-1069.

Gelenberg AJ, Gibson CJ. Tyrosine for the treatment of depression. Nutr Health. 1984; 3:163-173.

Gelenberg AJ, Wojcik JD, Falk WE, et al. Tyrosine for depression: a double-blind trial. J Affect Disord. 1990; 19:125-132.

Gelenberg AJ, Wojcik JD, Gibson CJ, Wurtman RJ. Tyrosine for depression. J Psychiatr Res. 1982-83; 17:175-180.

Reimherr FW, Wender PH, Wood DR, Ward M. An open trial of L-tyrosine in the treatment of attention deficit disorder, residual type. Am J Psychiatry. 1987; 144:1071-1073.

Smith ML, Hanley WB, Clarke JTR, et al. Randomised controlled trial of tyrosine supplementation on neuropsychological performance in phenylketonuria. Arch Dis Child. 1998; 78:116-121.

Young SN. Behavioral effects of dietary neurotransmitter precursors: basic and clinical aspects. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 1996; 20:313-323.

Doctors will tend to each have their own spin on how to take Strattera "best." However, none of these MDs had tried this drug for themselves, right? If you take 80mg in the morning and get most of your work done within 4-6 hours; I'd say take it in the AM on an empty stomach to be most effective. If you like to distribute your workload throughout the day, I might suggest splitting 80mg into two 40mg doses. In that case, it wouldn't really matter (in my experience) whether or not you took it with food. During finals week and preparing for it, I have increased the dose to a whopping 100mg (60mg after awakening and 40 mg in the early afternoon) -- however I weigh about 200 pounds (what's that in metric units?). Personally, without Provigil in my ADHD "stack" -- Strattera is almost useless. However, I don't take Strattera AT ALL when I am not in school -- as the sexual side effect is WAY too horrible. [tung]

Strattera is not for everyone -- neither is Provigil -- and Strattera + Provigil isn't either.

There are quite a few options to treat ADHD. You should find out what works best for you to get the grades you want. After you get your grade, F those stupid pills. The real world IS NOT like the box "school" fits into.

#7 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:54 AM

well it has helped out a little bit so far.  I still have trouble sitting down to concentrate on homework.  It is now day 5 and today was the first day that I took the 80mg.  The 4 days before that I was taking 40mg.  So we will see i really like the initial effect i get from taking it after an hour then it wears off pretty quick.  Im not going to be biased though because the common thing for people on this drug is to get impatient.  My doc told me to take it once in the morning and then in the afternoon so that i wouldnt get the upset stomach. What do you think about that nootropikamil?  Dont you think that it would take away from the focus that i need the most in the morning?  I have been drinking coffee along with taking it is this ok?  I think i remmeber you saying to not eat anything when taking it but doc said to eat something.  I think it varies with different people on if they get upset stomach or not.  I will keep you all posted.

I've never had an upset stomach from this drug.

When I get "competitive" in school, I'll take strattera (+ a whole bunch of other pills!) and then drink my Peet's Coffee which I brew every morning in my Capresso MT-500 (Model #440):

Capresso is the "God" of coffee pots!

Mmm...now I want the MT500 Plus:

Posted Image

#8 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:33 PM

So have you taken Strattera alone for a couple months to see if it works by itself? So let me get this straight are you trying to tell me im waisting my time taking just Strattera?

#9 jerebaldo1

• 33 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, norepinephrine drugs just produce a wired, pressured sort of anxiety. In addition, every one of them limps my Bizkit into uselessness.

#10 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

So have you taken Strattera alone for a couple months to see if it works by itself?  So let me get this straight are you trying to tell me im waisting my time taking just Strattera?

To be brutally honest, I have not.

We all have different brains.

What works for me has absolutely no effect on what might work for you. I know many people who took Strattera and were happy with it all alone. Stick to it for at least a month to see if you notice any significant improvements in your "concentration" abilities. If you still are unable to focus, you could try suggesting to your Doctor that you've heard that Strattera + Provigil is a better combination than Strattera alone and that you'd like to maybe try it.

In general and ideally, you want to take as few compounds as possible to get the effect you want. There are a variety of choices to treat ADD/ADHD; so it's not a "bad" thing if Strattera alone isn't the "best choice" for you. You'll have to give it a chance first, however...

#11 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:55 PM

I wonder if the lack of norepinephrine and dopamine is the exact reason why Strattera doesnt work for some people. So now im debating on weather i need to wait a whole month before i add in l-tyrosine? Doesnt yohimbe increase nor as well? I believe i read that somewhere it does but i have been afraid to add it along with Strattera.

#12 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

I just finished studying for an hour and I was able to concentrate slightly better today then i have in the past. Today marks day 6.

#13 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

It is now day 11 and i had a really good study session this morning for a couple of hours. My focus was pretty good compared to no strattera. I did add something to the mix though. I have been taking no-explode because it helps my workouts plus it has tyrosine in it for added nor and dopamine. I will keep you all updated.

#14 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:09 PM

It is now day 17 and I would have to say that it has gotten a little bit better since my last entry. I take strattera in the morning, and last night I went to the library and was able to get an hour of studying in. I was very surprised at my attention and focus. Especially since it had been way over 8 hours since my last dosage. Someone said stratteras life is 8 hours. I dont believe it. I think it works around the clock. I would like to know when the sleepiness effect gos away.

Salesman

#15 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:26 PM

It is now day 17 and I would have to say that it has gotten a little bit better since my last entry.  I take strattera in the morning, and last night I went to the library and was able to get an hour of studying in.  I was very surprised at my attention and focus.  Especially since it had been way over 8 hours since my last dosage.  Someone said stratteras life is 8 hours.  I dont believe it.  I think it works around the clock.  I would like to know when the sleepiness effect gos away.
Salesman

Can you give us a quick summary of the compounds you've tried and how Strattera "measures up" in comparison?

I'd like to know, specifically -- how the other "nootropics" you've tried "stack up" compared to Strattera.

Suppose optimum focus is "10" and no change is "0" -- can you give us a general assessment please? I do realize some of the effects might be partly placebo with certain compounds; but hey, we all know we're going to be working with anecdotal (testimonial) evidence -- so I don't think any harm will be done. :)

Salesman: also, while we are here...please update/fix your avatar.

#16 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:28 AM

it is too earlier to compare it to adderall. I havent given it the full 4-6 weeks as the doctor told me it would take to benefit fully from it. I dont want to make any comments yet

#17 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:41 AM

it is too earlier to compare it to adderall.  I havent given it the full 4-6 weeks as the doctor told me it would take to benefit fully from it.  I dont want to make any comments yet

I wasn't aware that you've tried Adderall.

It is wise to wait at least a full month to assess effects of any new medication.

#18 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

I will add one thing that may interfere with my feedback on this drug. My doctor has put me on lexapro for anxiety so this may affect what i have to say about Strattera. I have been on lexapro for about a week. It may have something to do with my daytime sleepiness. Although i have been on lexapro before and it takes a little while for the sleepy side effect to wear off. Anyhow i have noticed a bigtime increase in focus in the mornings and then it tapers off into the afternoon. I have a new routine of going to the library on a daily basis to study for an hour. So this is new for me. I hope things continue to get better because my test taking needs some help. Anyhow i will keep you all updated have a good weekend.

#19 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

I will add one thing that may interfere with my feedback on this drug.  My doctor has put me on lexapro for anxiety so this may affect what i have to say about Strattera.  I have been on lexapro for about a week.  It may have something to do with my daytime sleepiness.  Although i have been on lexapro before and it takes a little while for the sleepy side effect to wear off.  Anyhow i have noticed a bigtime increase in focus in the mornings and then it tapers off into the afternoon. I have a new routine of going to the library on a daily basis to study for an hour.  So this is new for me.  I hope things continue to get better because my test taking needs some help.  Anyhow i will keep you all updated have a good weekend.

Yeah, that totally throws me for a loop. Lexapro is an MAOi. When you mix that into the equation, you've got a real customized medicine combo!

#20 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:47 PM

no its not an MAOi its an SSRI

#21 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:17 PM

Ah, thanks for the pull up. I mistakenly referred to Lexapro's contraindications.

Posted Image

By the way, how is everything going with that Strattera + Lexapro combo?

#22 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:47 PM

The Strattera works good for the first few hours then after that i dont have the attention span. I really like Lexapro it helps me with my anxiety alot. I do get tired alot. Im not sure about adrafinil being a good combo with lexapro i might have to drop the lexapro when i start the adrafinil here in a few days. I do remember you telling me that modafinil and strattera are a good combo and that is eventually what i want to take. I have a doctors appointment Nov. 29th so i will talk to him about the provigil.

#23 t ham

• 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:13 AM

Do you guys take anything else that you believe helps with your ADHD, other than the aforementioned Strattera, Provigil, Lexapro & noXplode?
(I realize I'm asking two people here)

#24 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:23 PM

Do you guys take anything else that you believe helps with your ADHD, other than the aforementioned Strattera, Provigil, Lexapro & noXplode? 
(I realize I'm asking two people here)

Here is a link to the Strattera website. Atomoxetine is the generic drug name for Strattera.

Here is a link to the Adderall website. Adderall is a mix of four amphetamine salts.

Here is a link to the Concerta website. The generic drug name for Concerta is methylphenidate.

You can find out more about ADD/HD medicine (and potential dangers) at this forum.

I am pasting three Peer reviews on the matter below.

Why do we prefer peer reviewed literature? Answer below:

Peer review (known as refereeing in some academic fields) is a process of subjecting an author's scholarly work or ideas to the scrutiny of others who are experts in the field. It is used primarily by publishers, to select and to screen submitted manuscripts, and by funding agencies, to decide the awarding of monies for research. The peer review process is aimed at getting authors to meet the standards of their discipline and of science generally. Publications and awards that have not undergone peer review are likely to be regarded with suspicion by scholars and professionals in many fields. Even refereed journals, however, have been shown to contain error, fraud and other flaws that undermine their information quality.

Reasons for peer review
A rationale for peer review is that it is rare for an individual author or research team to spot every mistake or flaw in a complicated piece of work. This is not because deficiencies represent needles in a haystack, but because in a new and perhaps eclectic intellectual product, an opportunity for improvement may stand out only to someone with special expertise or experience. Therefore showing work to others increases the probability that weaknesses will be identified, and with advice and encouragement, fixed. The anonymity and independence of reviewers is intended to foster unvarnished criticism and discourage cronyism in funding and publication decisions. However, as discussed below under the next section, US government guidelines governing peer review for federal regulatory agencies require that reviewer identity be disclosed under some circumstances.

In addition, since the reviewers are normally selected from experts in the fields discussed in the article, the process of peer review is considered critical to establishing a reliable body of research and knowledge. Scholars reading the published articles can only be expert in a limited area; they rely to some degree on the peer-review process to provide reliable and credible research which they can build upon for subsequent or related research. As a result, significant scandal ensues when an author is found to have falsified the research included in an article, as many other scholars, and the field of study itself, has relied upon that research. (See below peer review and fraud.)

#25 t ham

• 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for all that info.

#26 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

Ok guys so heres my update for strattera. I am still taking it at 80mg a day. I believe i may drop it sometime in the near future. Not sure yet. I did drop the lexapro. I dont need it any longer since i am back on adderall. I now take adderall 15mg twice daily and three times on days i need extra time for studying. Yeah i know what you all are thinking adderall why am i taking that. Well my doctor wouldnt allow me to take provigil. He is an old crusty fart and set in his ways and theres no way to get him to change his mind. He told me that since the FDA didnt pass provigil as a treatment for ADHD then he would be holding himself liable in the event of a problem if something happened to my health and we went to court he thinks he would get screwed. Anyways so after he told me this when i was at his office he then proceeded to call and make sure with this guy he talks to about his practice. He asked him about provigil and whether he was allowed to prescribe it for ADHD, apprently the guy told him no. Then he asked this guy whether strattera and provigil would be acceptable to combined and he got a no for this as well. He told me that he has never had someone combine strattera and provigil and that he would be "really putting his neck out on the line" if he prescribed both to someone. Anyhow so he put me back on what i was taking 7 months ago (Adderall). So am back to where i was before. I do get benefit from Adderall but dont like the side effects -increased agression, up and down feeling. So where do i go from here? I guess i will have to find another MD to go to. Whats everyone think about this matter?

#27 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:39 PM

Also i believe i remember adam posting some data on how stattera was good combined with stimulants. Adam can you post some data on this? Do you have anything in particular on strattera and adderall?

#28 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:09 PM

Ok guys so heres my update for strattera. I am still taking it at 80mg a day. I believe i may drop it sometime in the near future. Not sure yet. I did drop the lexapro. I dont need it any longer since i am back on adderall. I now take adderall 15mg twice daily and three times on days i need extra time for studying. Yeah i know what you all are thinking adderall why am i taking that. Well my doctor wouldnt allow me to take provigil. He is an old crusty fart and set in his ways and theres no way to get him to change his mind. He told me that since the FDA didnt pass provigil as a treatment for ADHD then he would be holding himself liable in the event of a problem if something happened to my health and we went to court he thinks he would get screwed. Anyways so after he told me this when i was at his office he then proceeded to call and make sure with this guy he talks to about his practice. He asked him about provigil and whether he was allowed to prescribe it for ADHD, apprently the guy told him no. Then he asked this guy whether strattera and provigil would be acceptable to combined and he got a no for this as well. He told me that he has never had someone combine strattera and provigil and that he would be "really putting his neck out on the line" if he prescribed both to someone. Anyhow so he put me back on what i was taking 7 months ago (Adderall). So am back to where i was before. I do get benefit from Adderall but dont like the side effects -increased agression, up and down feeling. So where do i go from here? I guess i will have to find another MD to go to. Whats everyone think about this matter?

what a (delted for children) that he gives you amphetamines but not provigil.

just freaking order it online rofl. oh ya, you will also save 80%+ of the cost from insanely inflated US pharma prices.

#29 salesman

• Topic Starter
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:55 PM

that would be illegal without a prescription my friend

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

that would be illegal without a prescription my friend

i lol'd

I order stuff online all the time.

enjoy your amphetamines and your legal adrafinil. right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users