Photo
- - - - -

See a doctor!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

I am starting to see a very dangerous pattern in these forums. If you have decided to start a thread about a situation in your life that you are not happy with that's fair enough but if you have decided to start a thread about a health condition and have not consulted a qualified medical practitioner then you are making a big mistake by making this your first port of call.

It's quite simple. We cannot help you. I don't care how knowledgeable some of the posters think they are they are not qualified to discuss situations related to your health when there is something wrong with your health.

Seek an opinion(s) from a qualified medical practitioner(s)

If you do not seek the opinion(s) of a qualified medical practitioner(s) and take advice from someone here who does not really know the full you or is not privy to your medical records then you risk making the situation worse.

I recommend the following and this goes for new posters and members replying to posts

1. If you have come here because there is something not quite right about your health be it mental fog, lack of energy, high blood pressure, possible ADD (ADHD) then speak with your local doctor about it. If you're not happy with your doctor's approach to the situation then take a little ownership of the situation and demand (politely) that they take your concerns about your health as seriously as you do. If this fails then find a doctor who is willing to work with you. The effort is well worth it. Please don't use these forums as a fall back place just because you are not happy with the way your doctor is treating you.

1a. To members who reply to cries of help from people who obviously need to see a doctor first. Please do not play doctor unless you have have the qualifications i.e a medical or psychology degree. My best advise to you is to refer these members on to a qualified medical practitioner. If you want to help these people then simply guide them on how to approach the situation. Do not recommend treatments. Do not diagnose conditions. A simple compassionate helping hand to guide these people on how to seek the proper diagnosis and subsequent treatment is the best approach IMO

2. Once you have seen your medical practitioner and isolated what the problem is then let's talk. Let's talk about the options.

2a This is the perfect time to help someone. They know what is wrong and now it's time to work towards correcting the problems. We still should not advise on treatments. The best approach to to perhaps point people towards educating themselves about how to make informed choices. Don't advise on a treatment! Present options and leave the final decision up to the individual.

3. Finally, if you are healthy and have come here to simply optimise/maintain your health then you're in the right place. We have an awesome set of minds here that can help you achieve those goals. After all, isn't that why you came here in the first place?

Now if you haven't worked out my motive for this post yet I will tell you. Your health is way to precious to be throwing into the hands of strangers. Yes you can probably get a lot of good advice within these forums but essentially, as new posters, we're strangers. You're a stranger. It kills me to see people taking unneeded risks with their health and in general, I care about the well being of the people around me. That includes the members here.

Ok. I'm done ranting :) That was my 5minutes of clarity for the day

#2 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

Spot on [thumb]

Sentinel

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

Indeed spot on......some years ago i was very vulnerable to help or advice from the community (here or at other health forums) But after reading a lot of posts and my own experience with advise from people, I started to see this as very bad.
It think it¡¦s imminst unworthy to let this become a self help forum. I was a frequent reader of the nootropic forum, but I stopped reading it, just because I think it¡¦s not smart to have such a forum on here¡K..you can¡¦t tell from the topics and discussions what is and what isn¡¦t good for you or which combination is dangerous and which is not.
I left that part of the forum after the Lifemirage debacle ļ

#4 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

I suggest we pin this topic.

#5 theta

• 74 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:23 PM

I am starting to see a very dangerous pattern in these forums.

Freedom of speech is a dangerous thing for some people. "See a
doctor" taken to its logical conclusion would completely eliminate
the need for this site. Anyway I can take a hint and this will be my last post.

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

lock and sticky this

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

That enough requests guys and gals. Locked and pinned to your liking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users