• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Evolution 1 - Pope 0

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

Interesting tidbit I found on msnbc.com's website:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19956961/

“They are presented as alternatives that exclude each other,” the pope said. “This clash is an absurdity because on one hand there is much scientific proof in favor of evolution, which appears as a reality that we must see and which enriches our understanding of life and being as such.”

While I agree that belief and science can coexist, I think it's not only humble of the Pope to say this outright, to confess that evolution does prove more than religion can supply, but also logical in the sense that he's not going to let his faith blind him to the absolute truth. Now if only some other 'leaders' of moral compass *cough*US Presidents*cough* could share the same open-mindness (not with just evolution, but stem cell research, etc...) with someone who's supposed to instill the ultimate faith in fairytales.

It's funny, I remember going to church as a little boy, and hearing all the people talk about how evolution was 'the devil's contemporary propaganda' in tainting the minds of God's children.

I laugh because 'they' change their tune, yet evolution-followers never change theirs (unless science suggests they should). Another clear indication of what is correct, and what is believed to be correct (but not necessarily correct).

#2 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Great find, thanks!

It's funny, I remember going to church as a little boy, and hearing all the people talk about how evolution was 'the devil's contemporary propaganda' in tainting the minds of God's children.

Yeah man, I can totally relate, I remember hearing that stuff all the time when I was forced to go to church.

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

I still hear that kind of stuff, mainly from old friends and family members who are ultra-religious. They may not use that exact wording, but the sentiment is the same.

#4 Liquidus

• Topic Starter
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

I still hear that kind of stuff, mainly from old friends and family members who are ultra-religious. They may not use that exact wording, but the sentiment is the same.

I think it's safe to make the assumption that as each new generation is developped, more and more young people are informed about facts, and aren't as forcefully religious as say I was as a young child (which wasn't long ago at all).

I look forward to seeing how religion evolves (no pun intended) in the next 15-20 years once technology becomes a very important part in the average person's life.

#5 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:36 PM

once technology becomes a very important part in the average person's life

it isn't now? ;))

#6 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:14 PM

G Snake, I completely agree... that's one of the things that gives me hope, I look around and quite a few people I know are at least declaring themselves agnostic, and a lot of the people who claim to be religious don't really think about it all that much, they are just casual christians...

I just don't see how religion is going to survive much longer, the whole "sit in a boring room and stare at a man talking about vague things" doesn't really appeal to the youth much anymore... the only way I see religion (specifically Christianity) keeping the population interested is if they begin to get a little more hardcore in their mind-drilling and brainwashing techniques, much like Islam.

The problem is... quite a large majority of the world's population is too lazy to continue their inquiries about nature and science beyond what is required of them, and that to me is a good indicator as to why so many people just accept the easy "god did it" answer... they're too lazy to actually figure things out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users