• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:21 PM

Good article on Dr. Tabata and his experiments:

http://www.cbass.com/SEARCHOF.HTM

Excerpt:

That, of course, is why it was a surprise when Dr. Tabata's earlier study found that the 1E1 protocol (20 second bouts with 10 seconds rest) "may be optimal with respect to improving both the aerobic and anaerobic energy release systems." As readers of my earlier article will remember, Dr. Tabata told Dick Winett in a personal communication "that the rate of increase in VO2max [14% in only 6 weeks] is one of the highest ever reported in exercise science." Recall also that anaerobic capacity increased by a whopping 28%....

As shown in the follow-up study, 1E1 overloads both aerobic and anaerobic capacity maximally - with the predictable result that both systems benefit optimally. As the original research report stated: "1E1 may be one of the best possible training protocols....

A video of someone doing Tabata style squats, make sure your audio is not set too high before playing, as there is music:

http://media.crossfi...mple2tabata.wmv

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:33 PM

And they are not fun.

#3 paleo

• 248 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

Woah. I'm totally gonna try that right now.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 paleo

• 248 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:55 PM

Just did 6 sets....pretty awesome...definitely will add into my routine. Pretty winded though!

#5 Athanasios

• Topic Starter
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:08 AM

Here is the study that was a follow-up from his discovery:

Metabolic profile of high intensity intermittent exercises.

* Tabata I,
    * Irisawa K,
    * Kouzaki M,
    * Nishimura K,
    * Ogita F,
    * Miyachi M.

Department of Physiology and Biomechanics, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Kanoya City, Japan. tabata@nih.go.jp

To evaluate the magnitude of the stress on the aerobic and the anaerobic energy release systems during high intensity bicycle training, two commonly used protocols (IE1 and IE2) were examined during bicycling. IE1 consisted of one set of 6-7 bouts of 20-s exercise at an intensity of approximately 170% of the subject's maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) with a 10-s rest between each bout. IE2 involved one set of 4-5 bouts of 30-s exercise at an intensity of approximately 200% of the subject's VO2max and a 2-min rest between each bout. The accumulated oxygen deficit of IE1 (69 +/- 8 ml.kg-1, mean +/- SD) was significantly higher than that of IE2 (46 +/- 12 ml.kg-1, N = 9, p < 0.01). The accumulated oxygen deficit of IE1 was not significantly different from the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit (the anaerobic capacity) of the subjects (69 +/- 10 ml.kg-1), whereas the corresponding value for IE2 was less than the subjects' maximal accumulated oxygen deficit (P < 0.01). The peak oxygen uptake during the last 10 s of the IE1 (55 +/- 6 ml.kg-1.min-1) was not significantly less than the VO2max of the subjects (57 +/- 6 ml.kg-1.min-1). The peak oxygen uptake during the last 10 s of IE2 (47 +/- 8 ml.kg-1.min-1) was lower than the VO2max (P < 0.01). In conclusion, this study showed that intermittent exercise defined by the IE1 protocol may tax both the anaerobic and aerobic energy releasing systems almost maximally.

PMID: 9139179 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#6 tedsez

• 74 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:56 PM

I read an article saying that intervals of 2 1/2 minutes of medium-intensity exercise and 30 seconds of all-out high-intensity exercise is a good way of raising natural levels of human growth hormone.

I don't know what research is behind it, though.

#7 ronan

• 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

That looks ridiculous, and seems like it might damage his knees as his toes are not flared out on a diaganol. I know the book you are referring to with regards to the high energy spurts. I will try to uncover the book and research to back it up.

#8 Athanasios

• Topic Starter
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:02 PM

His toes are pointed to the diagnols, it is just hard to see from that angle.

The importance of 20 to 10 seconds is that aerobic and anaerobic exercise is peaked at the same time, allowing for maximum utilization of both. If the times are differed, I think you are running the risk of having one max before the other. This would cause an imbalance in the aerobic vs. anaerobic exercise.

#9 paleo

• 248 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:05 PM

Why are toes flared out so important? For natural biomechanics of the knee? I do my squats with heavy weight in perfect form, and only SLIGHTLY flare out the toes.

#10 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:46 AM

Wow, I think I might be capable of two sets in my current conditioning (20 seconds, 10 second rest, 20 seconds, maybe...).

I assume other exercises can be circuited into a system like this, perhaps pushups? I might be able to toss in a set of pushups for the second interval, allowing my legs enough rest to do a full interval of squats for the third interval... But getting 8 intervals'll be tricky.

#11 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:33 AM

Has anyone ever tried the Tabata protocol vs. longer duration/rest HIIT in real life?

I have, and didn't notice much difference in daily energy expenditure.

#12 Athanasios

• Topic Starter
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

I was waiting to see what others would reply but...

When I do the Tabata protocol I feel my aerobic workout is better. If I do longer durations, my anaerobic ability wears out before my aerobic it seems. I still get a good aerobic workout doing longer HIIT, but it just doesnt peak like it does when I do tabatas. After tabatas, it takes quiet a while longer for me to recover aerobically.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users