unsaturated fat

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

Youtube: Roy Walford

He says in this movie that eating unsaturated fat is maybe not that good if you want to live long.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

It depends. There are positives and negatives for pretty much any type of fat. It also depends on the individual. In a perfect world, I'd recommend a different type of fat intake to an overweight person than a lean person.

#3 eldar

• 178 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

There are positives and negatives for pretty much any type of fat.

Can you cite any studies reporting negative effects of unsaturated fats(mono and poly)?
Or atleast be a little bit more specific in what you mean about the negatives for unsaturated fats?

I am genuinely interested, since my diet includes a great deal of olive oil, flaxseed oil etc.

On a side note since you posted that you are starting on the paleo diet, doesn't that include substantial amount of unsaturated fats, being that it
pretty much prohibits the use of most carb sources? I mean you have to get the calories somewhere, if not carbs then fat.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

Can you cite any studies reporting negative effects of unsaturated fats(mono and poly)?
Or atleast be a little bit more specific in what you mean about the negatives for unsaturated fats?

I am genuinely interested, since my diet includes a great deal of olive oil, flaxseed oil etc.

On a side note since you posted that you are starting on the paleo diet, doesn't that include substantial amount of unsaturated fats, being that it
pretty much prohibits the use of most carb sources? I mean you have to get the calories somewhere, if not carbs then fat.

If you'll get a little more specific by which unsaturated fats you're interested in, I'll do what I can.

I should note that for most people, this isn't going to really matter. As long as you aren't extreme in one way or the other (all saturated diet, no saturated diet, all w-3, all w-6, etc.) you should balance out fine.

Since I began this paleo exeriment, my monounsaturated and saturated intake has almost certainly climbed. I haven't sat down to figure out the exact numbers because that was the entire point of the experiment.

Edit: I just watched the video and if I had to guess, I would say Walford is referring to increased lipid peroxidation for the 'aging' part and inflammatory w-6 fats for the 'cancer' bit.

Edited by shepard, 22 May 2007 - 05:11 PM.

#5 eldar

• 178 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:29 PM

If you'll get a little more specific by which unsaturated fats you're interested in, I'll do what I can. 

Well, I'm not an expert and I was trying to get a broad answer conserning the negatives of monounsaturated and/or polyunsatured fats.
That said I don't exactly know how specific you want me to be here. As far as I can tell olive oil, which is mostly monounsaturates, consists mostly of oleic acid
and flaxseed oil is pretty much alpha-linolenic acid(omega 3) and linoleic acid(omega 6). Which, if my memory serves me correctly, is where most of the different nuts also fall in regarding fatty acid composition.(atleast the ones I eat)
That's as specific as I can go :)

#6 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:05 PM

Sorry, I saw you mention olive and flax oil but it just didn't click that you were interested in those two specifically.

Olive oil is probably the safest bet when it comes to unsaturated fats. Store it correctly and don't use it to cook with at excessively high temperatures and everything looks good.

Flax oil is more apt to oxidation, but keep it stored correctly and don't use it excessively and you should be fine. I would also use one that comes with a small amount of Vitamin E.

Basic thing: You have to more careful with unsaturated fats (mostly polyunsaturates) when it comes to oxidation.

#7 buck1s

• 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

Shepard, how is the paleo experiment coming? Does it feel good to live/eat that way?

Chris

#8 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

Feels good in many ways. I don't know what I would pinpoint it to. In some areas, I feel better than I have in a long time. This could all be due to other areas of life that have been going well lately, though. I'll try to expand on this in the paleo blog that I haven't updated in a while.

#9 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

I don’t know much about the paleo diet. But is the CR diet not better? Or do you combine the two (if this is possible?)?

#10 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

I don't think of CR as a type of diet. I think of it as more of a dietary manipulation.

The Paleo Diet is just a method theorized by some to mimic the 'ancestral diet'. There is some controversy over exactly what this was and a lot of controversy over whether it really matters to health or not.

#11 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

The Paleo Diet is just a method theorized by some to mimic the 'ancestral diet'.

So...is that an attempt to mimic the 'ancestral life period'? ;)

#12 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:58 PM

some saturated fats are good and some bad. Same with unsaturated fats. The saturated fats are more stable.

It is annoying to see the heart foundations tick of approval on 'blended vegtable oil' or 'edible' oil (sounds nasty), and seeing it has a significant amount of transfat in it which only increases with time, light and heat. I see those ticks now as warning signs as a lot of what they endorse (and what they recommened everyone avoid) I shake my head at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users