Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Telomeres and aging...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nimcha

• 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:53 AM

Here's something interesting I came across the other day: researchers have found an apparent causal connection between telomere length and aging in mice -- TRF2 overexpression resulting in critically short telomeres and an apparently prematurely aging phenotype.

I have not been keeping up with this that well, but I thought comparing this new paper to DePinho et al's older paper (2000) was interesting because they found that mTR knockout mice, although exhibiting a range of unpleasant symptoms (including a shorter life span), did not in their analysis show the full range of age-related degeneration.

I'm curious what the prevailing view here is regarding the role telomeres play in the aging process -- clearly there's a correlation, but do you think there might be a causal link, as well?

• Lurker

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:00 AM

You may find these topics of interest:

Telomerase does not lead to cancer - increasing cellular lifespan is safe
Exonerating Telomerase - not guilty of cancer?
The Telomerase Apocrypha - the puzzle of telomerase function

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

Could there be a link between Telomere shortening and sexual activity or is the gene that produces telomerese turned off much earlier in life? Perhaps it is even as early as fetal development.

That "The Telomerase Apocrypha - the puzzle of telomerase function" thread is extremely interesting. Biotech makes Cisco and the MCSE look boreing!

Edited by caston, 01 July 2006 - 08:09 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users