• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Want more videos?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:05 AM

For those who don't know, the entire conference in Atlanta was taped and I've edited a majority of it together. So far though, I've only posted the videos for 3 of the presentations (Martine Rothblatt, Aubrey de Grey and Brad Mellon).

The orginal plan was to put the entire conference onto DVD and to make select clips available online to download. However, there doesn't seem to be much demand for the videos. The bandwidth to the video locations has gone up, but only slightly.

So the question I have for you now is this: Do you want more?

Please let me know if..
A) The videos are too large to download.
B) There are specific presentations you would prefer to see posted
C) You are interested in a DVD set of the conference (whether or not it's free)

Don't get me wrong. Believe it or not, I am enjoying the process of putting these together. It's just that I've got a number of things I'm working on at once and I'd like to know if there is an actual demand before I continue at this time.

(And surprisingly... more people downloaded Rothblatt's video than Aubrey's.)

#2 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:57 AM

As someone who could not attend I really appreciate this material!
Don't underestimate general interest. People might not be downloading right now in their hundreds, but one of the great advantages of this forum is that the material stays on for future visitors to benefit from.

I think the film material was very well composed.
I think ImmInst should do a DVD
Personally, I'm less interested in pictures. As these files take very long to download, mp3 in conjunction with the ppt is good enought for me.

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:48 AM

I echo Caliban's sentiments. We are building a multi-media database, and future members may enjoy watching the videos.

I don't think you have to get them all done tomorrow, just when you have time. Two or three a month would be fine I think.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:10 AM

A) The videos are too large to download.

Actually, I would prefer full DVD quality video. I don't mind waiting for the large downloads to finish.

Not in particular. I am more interested in getting the full picture. Anything new and not necessarily having to do with life-extension is also welcome.

Yes definitely, and for free please. If it has to cost anything it will not be as effective because many will choose not to watch it for that reason. I would like to distribute any video material to as many people as possible as freely as possible.

Many thanks for making this material available. It is a great resource for us who have not had the chance to attend the conference, and I believe many people will enjoy learning from the talks.

#5 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:41 AM

Joel, If you're able to compile into a DVD, I can make ready to mail (free) to any member who'd like to have it.

#6 JMorgan

• Topic Starter
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will continue to release the videos then... perhaps a few next week when I get back from Boston.

But, just as a heads up, come the week of the 19th, there may be some serious strain on bandwidth for my site. I will be posting a video from a TechTV-related meetup and the last time I did that, my site was nearly shut down for exceeding my alotted bandwidth for the month in just 2 days. ;) I'm expecting approximately 200gb of bandwidth related to the TechTV video.

However, this could be a good thing. Those who come there for the TechTV video may stumble onto Aubrey's video as well.

#7 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:02 PM

If you already expect your connection to be swamped, I suggest setting up a BitTorrent tracker, as previously mentioned. Let me know if you need any help with that, or if you would like to use my tracker for your TechTV distribution.

#8 Pointdexter

• 33 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:52 AM

The orginal plan was to put the entire conference onto DVD and to make select clips available online to download. However, there doesn't seem to be much demand for the videos. The bandwidth to the video locations has gone up, but only slightly.

It is very much appreciated that you continue to post them. ;)

Yeah, can you try to get the one on AI, thanks. [lol]

#9 JMorgan

• Topic Starter
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:32 AM

Yeah, can you try to get the one on AI, thanks. [lol]

You got it. I'll post Eliezer Yudkowsky's presentation early next week.

#10 hiredavidrnow

• 51 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:49 AM

All of you guys are very appreciated.

I think that this website, and the overall interest to share information with others like myself is really awesome.
When I have the finances to support this website, I definately will.
Being able to talk with others like you that share the same interests as far as with smart drugs is something that I very much appreciate.

Thanks!

#11 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:40 AM

Im interested in seeing all the videos if possible!?

thanks for the others you have posted so far...

#12 rahein

• 226 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

I engoy listening to the videos. Generally the people are just standing around or you can't see the slides anyway. I usally put them on in the back ground while I am working.

#13 JMorgan

• Topic Starter
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

Which format are you looking at? I tried to make sure the slides are very readable. Martine and Aubrey have slides and they should appear very well. Dr. Mellon did not have slides for his presentation.

#14 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:17 PM

i liked dr. wowk's presentation. No rush for me though. i was there. I would like to show it to my dad to convince him that the idea of cryonics is not crazy, and maybe start moving in the direction of getting him and my mom signed up.

#15 michaelroyames

• Guest, F@H Michael Roy Ames
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:36 PM

JMorgan:

I also thought Brian Wowk's presentation was very good, and would like to download it. Another speaker's presentation I would like to see is Ben Best's. His was a very informative talk, providing a lot of practical information I had not seen before. Please post that one too if you can.

Thank you,

Michael Roy Ames
Singularity Institute For Artificial Intelligence Canada Association
http://www.singinst.org/canada

#16 Paul Idol

• Guest Paul Idol
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

I know I'm late to this thread, but in my book, the more videos the better.

-Paul

#17 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:34 AM

I whole-heartedly agree!

;)

#18 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:06 PM

No more conference videos being put online?

#19 Mind

• 19,080 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

More videos. More videos. More videos! Everyone start chanting now. I liked Brian's, Chris Heward's, and Michael Rose's. They are really eye opening and need to be seen by more people.

#20 nader

• 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

Yes, more videos! I would really appreciate if someone could post Eliezer's video.

#21 Mind

• 19,080 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:16 PM

Eliezer's was very good too!

#22 mrfesta

• 155 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:49 AM

More videos. More videos. More videos! Everyone start chanting now. I liked Brian's, Chris Heward's, and Michael Rose's. They are really eye opening and need to be seen by more people.

I agree. I have contacted Liveforever22 and he is glad to be the "go to" person in charge of uploading multi media to http://video.google.com and www.youtube.com. These are two very popular video websites. Liveforever22 is also glad to assist those with multimedia with the encoding aspects. I know the Youtube website has a limit of 100MB per file that is uploaded.

#23 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:55 AM

I am definitely glad to help anyone with shrinking videos or changing formats or whatever they need. I also have a little experience doing some web design if anyone needs any help with that type of stuff.

;)

#24 JMorgan

• Topic Starter
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:00 PM

Thanks folks. Believe me, you have spoken loud and clear and I have heard you. I will get the rest of the conference presentations out as soon as possible.

My sincerest apologies. I honestly expected to get these videos out within two weeks of the conference. Obviously, that did not happen. And the further I got from the conference, the more I had piled on my plate. Combine that with some computer problems (and a hard drive failure) and I get further sidetracked. Nothing has been lost and I will get cracking on the rest very soon.

#25 mrfesta

• 155 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:03 AM

Thanks so much Jmorgan! The contribution is very appreciated. If you could somehow get them to Liveforever22 for him to upload that would be good to.

Of course you could upload them as well but because both google video and youtube have the "view more from this user" option, I think it would be good if all videos releated to life extension were under the same username. Just IMO.

#26 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Joel!

#27 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:44 PM

Thanks Joel!

Ditto!

:)

#28 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

Any word on any more videos? There still seems to be interest in getting them online. Also, anyone know of any word on the DVD of the conference that had been discussed originally?

:)

#29 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:17 PM

have the videos been put online yet?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users