#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

The Seattle Times: News Source

Posted Image

China corners vitamin market

By Tim Johnson
McClatchy Newspapers

SHIJIAZHUANG, China — If you pop a vitamin C tablet in your mouth, it's a good bet it came from China. Indeed, many of the world's vitamins are now made in China.

In less than a decade, China has captured 90 percent of the U.S. market for vitamin C, driving almost everyone else out of business.

Chinese pharmaceutical companies also have taken over much of the world market in the production of antibiotics, analgesics, enzymes and primary amino acids. According to an industry group, China makes 70 percent of the world's penicillin, 50 percent of its aspirin and 35 percent of its acetaminophen (often sold under the brand name Tylenol), as well as the bulk of vitamins A, B12, C and E.

In the wake of a pet-food scandal, in which adulterated wheat gluten from China led to the deaths of thousands of pets in North America, and other instances of food and toothpaste tampering, China's vitamin producers are reaching out to reassure U.S. consumers that their vitamins are safe.

Whether that's true isn't clear, however. Foreign food-safety experts say China's larger companies have reputations to protect. The question is how they maintain quality control.

In this pharmaceutical hub, a two-hour train ride south of Beijing, managers at what may be the world's largest vitamin C factory said they're constantly improving quality control to keep pace with the tenfold increase in production this decade.

"We used to only comply with domestic standards. Now we must comply with international standards," said Liu Lifeng, an aide to the general manager at Weisheng Pharmaceutical.

Food- and drug-safety inspectors drop in at the plant from time to time.

But the inspectors aren't exactly neutral guardians of public health. They work for the city government, which is a part owner of the parent company of Weisheng Pharmaceutical. That kind of relationship between food and drug inspectors and China's booming agricultural and pharmaceutical industries is coming to the fore as an issue in the food-safety debate. The local government in this thriving city of 2 million people would suffer if it did anything to hurt the growth of local vitamin and drug producers, and local officials might be reluctant to admit that a public safety issue had arisen.

"That's a conflict of interest right there," said Kathryn Boor, a food-safety expert at Cornell University. "You really need a disinterested party involved in inspections."

Issues of food and drug safety ripple across China today. The former chief of the state Food and Drug Administration, Zheng Xiaoyu, was given the death sentence Tuesday for taking $832,000 in bribes to let unsafe drugs on the market. One Zheng aide was sentenced to a 15-year jail term last autumn, and a second was accused in May in the bribery scandal.

A survey earlier this year said more than three-fifths of Chinese worry about whether the food they eat is contaminated or adulterated.

Observers of China's food and dietary-supplements industry say many larger companies, such as Weisheng, are well-managed and obtain key global certifications.

At the sprawling Weisheng plant, uniformed employees bustle about on neatly swept walkways, entering production areas where assembly lines purr. Machinery seemed clean, although managers barred a visitor from taking photographs in factory areas.

"The industry in China is bifurcated between top-notch companies that are highly skilled and do all the right things, and the second- and third-tier producers, some of which are just sloppy bucket shops," said Peter Kovacs, a food-industry consultant based in Incline Village, Nev.

Foreign brokers concur that the low end of China's market has severe problems.

"Sometimes you enter a factory, and you say, 'I can't believe they produce food here.' It's dirty and the machines are old," said Jan Willem Roben of Vision Ingredients in Shanghai, a broker of food additives for export.

Since U.S. laws don't require food and drug sellers to label products with the country of origin of ingredients, it's impossible for consumers to know where food or supplements are coming from, not to mention what factory produced them.

Vitamins fall into an area in China that straddles the food industry, comprising some 2 million businesses that exported $2.5 billion worth of goods last year, and the drug industry, which has 5,000 companies. Cases of adulterated or mislabeled products have hit both food and drug companies.

Fake drugs to treat impotency and help with weight loss are legion in China. Some African nations complain of fake Chinese medicines hitting their pharmacy shelves. Shady small pharmaceutical firms have exported bogus anti-malaria medication to Southeast Asia, where the illness is prevalent, allowing sick people to grow sicker.

"We really believe they are criminals," said Dr. Henk Bekedam, chief of the World Health Organization office in China, referring to producers of fake medicines.

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

#2 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:09 PM

Even more interesting is this:

China's drastic solution to drugs scandal 
By James Reynolds
BBC News, Harbin 

Guo Ping says she dreams about her daughter all the time
Zheng Xiaoyu used to be one of the most trusted men in China.

He was in charge of making sure his country's food and drugs did not kill anyone.

But, on Tuesday morning in Beijing, a court found that he had failed - badly.

He was found guilty of accepting bribes and of lowering safety standards.

For his failure, he will be shot dead.

After the court's verdict was announced, my colleagues and I flew to the northern Chinese city of Harbin.

We met two families who tell us they bought contaminated drugs supplied by the Anhui Huayuan company.

Guo Ping lays out pictures of her daughter Liu Sicheng. They show the girl wearing a white dress and a small tiara.

'Heavenly justice'

Last summer the six-year-old caught a cold. So, her mother gave the girl some antibiotics she bought for 10 yuan (75p).

"I gave just a little bit", Guo Ping says, squeezing her fingers together.

On 24 July, after an antibiotic injection, the girl died.

"I think the court's verdict is heavenly justice," Guo Ping says.

Du Haipeng was given antibiotics last year and is now brain damaged

"The man deserves his punishment. This shows that the world still has justice."

Then she begins to cry.

"I dream about my daughter all the time. I see her staring at me, telling me she shouldn't have died. She tells me I must get justice for her. I have to do so. Otherwise I won't be able to face her when I die."

At the end of the room, six-year-old Du Haipeng lies still on a sofa. He was given the antibiotics last year. Now he has severe brain damage.

"When I heard the news of the sentence, I felt very excited," says Du Haipeng's uncle, Wang Guo Biao.

"Our boy took the fake drug approved by this man and his organisation. Our boy will never recover."

Drugs raids

For everyone involved in this case, the cost has been high.

The antibiotics have been recalled. The batch has been blamed for 11 deaths.

Last November, the general manager of the Anhui Huayuan drug company, Qiu Zuyi, was found dead. The official Chinese media said that he hanged himself.

China has promised to get rid of its supply of fake and contaminated drugs. It carries out periodic raids, and calls in cameras to take pictures of its hauls.

But the outside world is sceptical. This year alone, there have been reports of contaminated Chinese drugs ending up in Panama, the Dominican Republic, and the United States.

The Chinese Communist Party now realises it has a huge problem - fake drugs made in this country kill people.

The state hopes it can make things better by ordering its old drugs regulator to be shot.

China's solution is as drastic as its problem.

Click

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tempohigh

• 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

Even more interesting is this:

China's drastic solution to drugs scandal
By James Reynolds
BBC News, Harbin

Guo Ping says she dreams about her daughter all the time
Zheng Xiaoyu used to be one of the most trusted men in China.

He was in charge of making sure his country's food and drugs did not kill anyone.

But, on Tuesday morning in Beijing, a court found that he had failed - badly.

He was found guilty of accepting bribes and of lowering safety standards.

For his failure, he will be shot dead.

After the court's verdict was announced, my colleagues and I flew to the northern Chinese city of Harbin.

We met two families who tell us they bought contaminated drugs supplied by the Anhui Huayuan company.

Guo Ping lays out pictures of her daughter Liu Sicheng. They show the girl wearing a white dress and a small tiara.

'Heavenly justice'

Last summer the six-year-old caught a cold. So, her mother gave the girl some antibiotics she bought for 10 yuan (75p).

"I gave just a little bit", Guo Ping says, squeezing her fingers together.

On 24 July, after an antibiotic injection, the girl died.

"I think the court's verdict is heavenly justice," Guo Ping says.

Du Haipeng was given antibiotics last year and is now brain damaged

"The man deserves his punishment. This shows that the world still has justice."

Then she begins to cry.

"I dream about my daughter all the time. I see her staring at me, telling me she shouldn't have died. She tells me I must get justice for her. I have to do so. Otherwise I won't be able to face her when I die."

At the end of the room, six-year-old Du Haipeng lies still on a sofa. He was given the antibiotics last year. Now he has severe brain damage.

"When I heard the news of the sentence, I felt very excited," says Du Haipeng's uncle, Wang Guo Biao.

"Our boy took the fake drug approved by this man and his organisation. Our boy will never recover."

Drugs raids

For everyone involved in this case, the cost has been high.

The antibiotics have been recalled. The batch has been blamed for 11 deaths.

Last November, the general manager of the Anhui Huayuan drug company, Qiu Zuyi, was found dead. The official Chinese media said that he hanged himself.

China has promised to get rid of its supply of fake and contaminated drugs. It carries out periodic raids, and calls in cameras to take pictures of its hauls.

But the outside world is sceptical. This year alone, there have been reports of contaminated Chinese drugs ending up in Panama, the Dominican Republic, and the United States.

The Chinese Communist Party now realises it has a huge problem - fake drugs made in this country kill people.

The state hopes it can make things better by ordering its old drugs regulator to be shot.

China's solution is as drastic as its problem.

Click

I know Im grave-digging a bit, but brainbox makes a great point. I have lived in China for nearly two years. During that time, children and adults died from everything from fake baby formula to fake food (seriously...fake food?). China is a shame-based society, not a guilt-based society like America. If they think they can get away with it, they will cut your supplements up and substitute large portions with a fake, cheap and often dangerous substance. I would pass on most drugs manufactured in China. Its not worth the risk of ingesting dangerous materials.

#4 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

I would pass on most drugs manufactured in China. Its not worth the risk of ingesting dangerous materials.

The problem, is that the first article has it right.
China is the leader in raw materials for common supplements in the United States and around the world.

I am currently trying to get a particular raw material from India (so that I can say in our marketing "This material is from India, not China" ) however, the purity tests lower than the Chinese material. If you test every batch, your customers should be ok. But how many companies do that now a days if the FDA lets people slide and allow then not to test every batch?

Is safety a Chinese issue when the FDA allows this, or an American one?

A

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Boondock

• 73 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:30 PM

It's a concern, but one that is fairly easily eliminated by proper testing. If you test and find an impurity, you get a new supplier. You might not be able to test every batch, but you'll end up with someone (relatively) reputable in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users