• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Companies to invest to support life extension

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:10 PM

I am convinced that investing in life extension technology developing companies might be one of the most effective uses of resources around to accelerate the inevitable coming of radical life extension. However, even though many of such companies are listed here in resources/companies section, I have found it quite hard to really find which of them hold the most potential regarding life extension.

So which companies do you think hold the most promising technologies/resources to make a contribution to radical life extension and what are you basing your notion on? I would assume these companies would probably work on some aspects of SENS

We can keep this discussion pretty technical and research oriented in the beginning, and perhaps discuss less about the other aspects contributing to investment potential. This is because at the moment most of these companies are most likely terribly undervalued. This is because their valuation is based only on their potential to cure currently "in vogue" diseases, rather than their potential be parts of the package to cure aging. If the market would take that into account, some of these companies would soar. I mean, if a company held a patent to 1 or maybe even 2 key technologies necessary to radical life extension, the biggest market this world has ever seen once it arrives, well that company would be valued probably more than Wal-Mart, Exxon, Microsoft combined.

Once the notion of of radical life extension become more widely accepted, market is going to adjust the prices to a more realistic level. That might take 5-10 years, maybe up until someone collects the rejuvenation Mprize. So ladies and gentleman, here is probably one of the most profitable examples ever of a superior information by a group of people over the market.

You science types and business people alike, please contribute.

#2 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:12 PM

I think this deserves a bump. I have too much cash sitting in the bank losing ground to inflation. Can anyone recommend some stocks or preferrably mutual funds that are most relevant to the anti-aging effort? I want to fight against aging. The irony though is that I am partly investing for retirement, but I prefer to support a cause that I hope will remove my need for retirement ;-)

Edited by Ghostrider, 20 August 2006 - 11:24 PM.

#3 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:37 AM

The irony though is that I am partly investing for retirement, but I prefer to support a cause that I hope will remove my need for retirement ;-)

Heh, you got to make up your mind there ;-)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

Can anyone recommend some stocks or preferrably mutual funds that are most relevant to the anti-aging effort?  I want to fight against aging.  The irony though is that I am partly investing for retirement, but I prefer to support a cause that I hope will remove my need for retirement ;-)

I haven't found much investment opportunity that is directly related to anti-aging. If you believe that all aging therapies are at the molecular level and advances in drug therapy and other medical advances are our salvation, then the closest you can get is biotech - a risky gamble as your basically funding research, legal and marketing prowess. The only biotech stock I have left is AMLN but I didn't buy it for anti-aging reasons but rather based on the premise that Americans are getting fatter, eating worse diets and turning themselves into diabetics and cardiac patients.

Why retire? I've chosen to change my lifestyle to a life of eternal self improvement through education and skill development with an emphasis on maximizing my time in the universe. If time runs out, so be it, but I intend to go down swinging :)

#5 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:38 AM

Yeah, I do not plan to retire. I guess insurance would be a better word. Kinda like no one plans on getting into a car accident.

#6 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

cytori therapeutics cytx on nasdaq http://www.cytoritx.com/ developing proprietary 1 hour stem cell culture method and in clinicals for breast reconstruction in japan.

elixr pharm, currently testing sirt2 on mammals [glasses] http://www.elixirpharm.com/

Alteon, makers of ALT-711 who also, might I add are working on a glucosepene crosslink breaker [lol] http://www.corporate...html?ticker=ALT

Zyvex http://www.zyvex.com/

advanced cell technologies http://www.advancedcell.com/ Michael west is brilliant and started geron back in the day ( now a multi-billion dollar company) [thumb] looks like an extremely promising company.

http://www.stem-cell-companies.com/ an interesting site devoted to listing up and coming stem cell companies and their target markets.

I read the WSJ, forbes,fortune,and just about every other business mag I can get my hands on, if any of these companies shows a novel breakthrough it will probably impact the whole sector favorably. The real pros know it's only a matter of time before success is tasted. I'd like to use my personal training company as a springboard to starting another one in a few years, maybe even with someone from this board. :)

#7 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

Kind of getting on a tangent but speaking of retirement, did you know that if you keep working after age 70 you get screwed by the government? I mean worse than usual. Old people who keep working after age 70 have to pay full deductions for SS and yet they get no credit for them. SS costs around 15% of the paycheck so it's no laughing matter. Most employers pay half but you really pay the whole thing. The employer just looks at the total cost of the employee including taxes, insurance and so on including SS. Take an example of someone who doesn't have the 10 quarters they need to get minimum SS benefits. Once they hit 70 they will never qualify because they could work another 10 years and not get credit for that additional quarter they needed and never get SS. All the deductions they take out for SS are supposed to bring you a bigger check when you retire unless you work past 70. I guess they figure the old folks won't notice they are being robbed and will be too feeble to complain.

Fellow immortalists, tell your congresspeople in no uncertain terms that you will not put up with this. I dont plan to work after that age but who knows? I might have a little hobby that requires me to file a return and pay taxes. Did you know they can tax your SS benefits at any age? You paid taxes on every dime you earned and SS came out of that. But when you finally get it they tax you again.

#8 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

I recently plunked down some chips on Genomic Health.

And of course I'll buy some SIRT when Sirtris Pharmaceuticals IPOs. Here's the S-1 Filing

#9 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

Im only in DNA that could be considered as such...other healthcare im in is UNH but they are mainly services and insurance.

#10 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

maestro949
Please update us as to when SIRT IPO's -
I figure I might as well put some of my money where my mouth is

#11 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:52 PM

I recently plunked down some chips on Genomic Health

I see that they are into genomic-based clinical diagnostic tests for cancer. Have you been watching DeCode (DCGN)? They are the company that was doing complex genome analysis of Icelanders to find disease causing SNPs. They now have a drug pipeline and are starting to offer diagnostic tests for type 2 diabetes, that will soon expand to other tests as well.

#12 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

Another one is GeneArt, which is traded as G6A.F in Frankfurt.
http://www.geneart.c...Hash=f781678ed4

#13 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Not that I have any capital... But this is a really great thread. My AP Biology teacher would talk to our class about biotech investing (it made AP Bio a lot more exciting...). If anyone has resources or reflections on the topic, please keep posting!

Edit: Investing money is one of the best things we can do to promote life extension. While charities are useful, I think the real change is going to come from forward thinking companies like Novamente, Connexions, and Steorn (just kidding about that last one).

Edited by modelcadet, 09 July 2007 - 04:25 PM.

#14 wassname

• 63 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

I think that as well as investing to support life extension, we can help support life extentionsists investment, as we all have the same aim (roughly), and personally I am loyal not to any individual including my 'self'. So based on that philosophy (or game theoretical strategy):

I have found a good way of making money in pharmaceutical stocks is to find any that have been tested by amateurs that the majority of investors are not aware of and take advantage of that knowledge of the side effects etc. Based on usage reports in steroid forums etc, we can know before hand how clinical trials will turn out (we can even order and try safe research drugs ourselves... the best way is in an actual drug trial) and make a killing investing. I tried this with malanotan, and it worked! The benifits are even more if we share, although I would reccomend restricing this to people with similar ideological aims (of course for sharing to work you need some way to exclude indivuals who would take advantage of the system). Any other ideas of places to look where experimental drugs are tried?

Edited by wassname, 11 July 2007 - 06:30 AM.

#15 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

Zyvex gets Darpa contract for nanotech manufacturing

Always interesting to revive old threads to see how things have progressed.

"We are extremely proud to receive this award," said John Randall, Ph.D., Vice President of Zyvex Labs and Principal Investigator for the APMC research program. "The technologies developed by this program will be the first to allow robust three-dimensional solid structures to be created with atomic precision under computer control. While, historically, this falls in line with ongoing efforts throughout human history to improve manufacturing precision, it is revolutionary because it will achieve unprecedented precision by taking advantage of the quantized nature of matter."

"DARPA is investing in breakthrough approaches to nanomanufacturing. Our goal is to develop the capability to fabricate nanostructures in such a way that we can control position, size, shape and orientation at the nanometer scale, which is not possible today," said Tom Kenny, DARPA Program Manager. "If we can demonstrate this, we will be able to truly unlock the potential capabilities of nanotechnology."

To almost double the resources supporting the APMC, the $5M in DARPA research funding is 'matched' by the Texas ETF of $4.7M to achieve a total program size of $9.7M. The North Texas Regional Center for NTXRCIC will serve as the 'fiscal agent' to administer the APMC funding from the ETF; and will also sponsor the "APMC Advisory Board" of senior industry and scientific experts that will direct the overall strategy and early commercialization activities of the APMC.

Other threads mentioning Zyvex:
http://www.imminst.o...o...84&hl=Zyvex

http://www.imminst.o...o...85&hl=Zyvex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users