• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

ImmInst Logo Design Competition (complete)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 09:33 PM

The ImmInst logo competition is complete and the logo is now up. Thanks to the participants for their help and wonderful submissions.

Questions sometimes arise as to the meaning behind the ImmInst logo. There are quite a few symbols wrapped up in the design. A few of the more explicit ones are explained below. There may be more.

1. The top of the figure '8' is sand stuck in the top of an hourglass.
2. The '8' future is the mathematical sign for infinity
3. The olive branches are symbolic for peace
4. The bottom of the '8' is the DNA helix
5. Blue is sometimes considered the color for serenity

Archived Logo Competition

This will be a competition to see if we can come up with a better design logo for ImmInst. There's a small prize involved, but it's more about the volunteer effort.

Design Guidelines: A logo that is somewhat like our old design, but hopefully better. (Upload .gif for web to this forum topic and please save the original png, bmp file etc. to your computer for later use by ImmInst if needed)

Posted Image

Phrase Guidelines: Something like Ettinger's phrase, hopefully better.
"Being born is not a crime so why must it carry a sentence of death?"
Robert Ettinger

Deadline: (pun intended) March 1st 2003
Voting: Will start March 2nd and end March 20th.
Where to post: Click "Add Reply" You'll be able to upload a photo and add your phrase.
Prize: (still being decided - will be less than $20 value)
Legal: Designer to relinquish copyright to ImmInst.
Best of luck: If you have questions... fire away.

#2 tmoenk

• 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 05:56 AM

Just a few questions I have for clarification:
What format/dimensions and such do you want the logo to be submitted? Does it need to look as good in greyscale as in color? And is the slogan supposed to be a functional part of the logo? It seems to me that the two might almost be two seperate contests in which the best logo and then the best slogan are paired together. That is unless of course the two are joined as part of the design, but that would of course be the designers prerogative(or a guideline). Will this design be displayed as a replacement for the graphic at the top left hand corner of this site? If so, and a given logo is selected, will the sites color scheme/design be reformatted to work around it? Although I think it would be a bit impractical to work the site around the logo, I think it's a question worth asking as the answer may give designers (such as myself) more freedom.

-Timothy Moenk

#3 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 06:37 AM

What format/dimensions and such do you want the logo to be submitted?

300 X 75 pixs .gif for web.. please keep the originals from adobe etc.

Does it need to look as good in grayscale as in color?

Yes, we're looking to keep with the original site layout colors.
Background should be: Hex={CC,CC,CC}
The colors for the letters the artist may wish to use that blend/look good with the site.

And is the slogan supposed to be a functional part of the logo? It seems to me that the two might almost be two seperate contests in which the best logo and then the best slogan are paired together. That is unless of course the two are joined as part of the design, but that would of course be the designers prerogative(or a guideline).

For the image: use "ImmInst.org", "Immortality Institute", and/or "For Infinite Lifespans" in whatever way it may please the artist within the 300/75 and gray background

The slogan is separate, and will be judged thus as a separate from the image competition.
The slogan is just a phrase, ex: "Get Life!" etc...

Will this design be displayed as a replacement for the graphic at the top left hand corner of this site? If so, and a given logo is selected, will the sites color scheme/design be reformatted to work around it? Although I think it would be a bit impractical to work the site around the logo, I think it's a question worth asking as the answer may give designers (such as myself) more freedom.

I think the above should answer the question... but, the site will remain the same color scheme. The new logo will replace the 300/75:

Posted Image

I know we've tossed around the idea of some sorf of graphic.. like a mobius design or a hourglass, or a sequoia, turtle, bacteria(which are immortal).. anything that may represent long life or immortality.. maybe even a dna molecule......

something with this flavor? Posted Image

maybe... but whatever looks best with the gray back ground.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:17 PM

Bit surprised that the "gray background" has become so essential. [huh]

The background was white just a very few weeks ago, and a few weeks before that, it was blue.
I conclude it could change again without creating to much disruption.

One might also suggest that gray is perhaps not the most attractive color, especially in relation to anti-aging.

Maybe if the artist presents a really striking design, that everybody likes very much, we should adopt that and do away with the gray instead.

#5 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:31 PM

Sure.. nothing is set in stone, just wanted to "finally" keep a template and stick with it.. as i've changed quite often, (this color, layout feels just about rigth-- BJK notices he will probably regret just saying that)

Anyway, yes, If the artist finds that a white or other backgroud color suites the logo, so be it.. we'll figure something out. lol

#6 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 03:47 PM

Ok.. as you can probably tell... i've changed the look of the site (again).

Therefore.. a volunteer design may wish to use a color scheme inline with the current theme.

#7 Limitless

• 105 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 11:13 PM

Hi Bj [!] It's good to be back on the forums.;) I was away because I got side-tracked. Blame NEC. My silly pentium uses a combination battery/clock on its motherboard, rather than a built-in clock with an easily-replaceable battery. After several years, it finally died. We ordered a replacement battery/clock, in an attempt to remedy the situation, but the friendly-people at NEC decided they wouldn't continue to support those who own their products by updating a dated-BIOS, so our new part is useless, after 30 dollars US. Not that I didn't know it would be advantageous to simply buy a new motherboard.......it just bugs me that a poor deign renders an older computer unusable. (While my father parties on his P4.) Well, I'm on a 486 until my newer computer is up and running.......no big deal -I still only have dial-up, anyway.

As for the many site designs you've used so far, I like the design that featured several shades of wavy-blue shapes the most. I don't mind the other designs, either, though.

As for the current design, I think it's okay, but the words ".Org" & "For Infinite Lifespans" should be white, rather than grey, if the background is black. This is because there is not enough contrast unless someone turns up their monitor to full contrast, and high brightness, which won't always happen. I think white letters would make these words much more legible, but I realize it isn't a big problem, as the current design is temporary.

I'll try not to disappear for long periods again, and I will start working on an article for a future Writer's Competition. I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend that Toronto Transhumanist Association meeting that you kindly e-mailed me about, but I will investigate attending one of their future meetings. [B)]

Exeunt [!] [!]

#8 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 07:15 AM

Thanks Limitless, yes if you get a chance, you may enjoy the Toronto Transhumanist meetings. Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for the design suggestions.
BJK

#9 Limitless

• 105 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Limitless, yes if you get a chance, you may enjoy the Toronto Transhumanist meetings. Let me know how it turns out.

I'll be sure to do that!

Thanks for the design suggestions.
BJK

No problem. [B)]

#10 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 06:21 AM

lets see how would you like me to post my logo ideas
I have 6 here for you each of them easily modifiable as well at the full psd at 8 times the resolution on my computer so changes can be easily made should you choose to use my logo. please just tell me how to post them here. if I must I will make 6 posts and attach one to each but I assume there must be some other way. thankyou.

~Lazarus A. Epicurus~

Edited by Lazarus, 22 February 2003 - 06:22 AM.

#11 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 06:23 AM

Yes... Laz, If you can... please post each one as an attachment.. this will allow others to discuss and vote on each one. Thanks! lol

#12 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:04 AM

my my, quite an intuition, only my friends call me Laz, looks like we might become friends:) I will now preceed to post my logo ideas, thare are generally all the same "LOGO" but they way the are positioned and combined with the words and letter changes. so here you go.

~Lazarus A. Epicurus~

#13 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:07 AM

1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

#14 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:09 AM

2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

#15 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:12 AM

3!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

#16 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:13 AM

4!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

#17 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:14 AM

5!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

#18 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:16 AM

6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

#19 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:31 AM

and here it the(as I have decided to call it:) )Biotechnolgical Never-Ending Hourglass of Immortality. in its hoizontal position.

Attached Files

#20 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:36 AM

and in its vertical position, I have the sand at the top as to represent the opposite of loosing time, but living forever. and if you did not figure it out thas dna code in the bottom, and then you can see the bianary( note not actually bianary just random hittings of 1 and 0) on the side obviously giving it another tech side, you can really see the bianary in the low reso versions but I may be able to fix that or it may not really even be nessecary for that particular one and only when using it at a background, watermark, ect.. I hope you all like my work:)

~Lazarus A. Epicurus~

Attached Files

#21 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 08:54 PM

Laz.. Love it Love it... the hr glass with the 00110 and the symbols is perfect... The last one is great...

I have a few ideas... i was thinking.. can you make this into a round logo? with the olive branch around it such as the UN example here? http://www.un.org/english/ Maybe take away most of the black blocks on the top and bottom of the design.? ... as it may just have this round logo on the left and ImmInst.org on the side with For Infinite Lifespans below as with current logo...

Rough Layout :: White Background :: w/ ImmInst.org /then below/ For Infinite Lifespan / smaller

(HrGlass) ImmInst.org
For Infinite Lifespans

May just go with a white background for all of this.. make is easier to use on letterhead and other such stuff.. :)

Really appreicate the help...

#22 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:32 PM

something like this?

Attached Files

#23 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 07:18 PM

Wow! yeh.. that's it.. Can you post the .pdf file per chance or email me? I was thinking about playing around with it. It looks like you're likely to be the winner of this prize. So early congrats. :) (BTW: Prize will be 10$ plus a copy of THE FIRST IMMORTAL by James L. Halperin)

#24 ocsrazor

• Guest OcsRazor
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 08:59 PM

Excellent, love the circular logo Lazarus!

#25 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:20 PM

well the original logo was done fully in photoshop. I could have done its faster adobe illustrator but I was on my laptop when I did it and my laptop only has enough memory fo photoshop and not illustrator. so that one is a fully layer psd. easily convertable to pdf. I would have used my desktop but its in the other room and I did not want to wake my room mate. however with a circular logo its best to work in vectros as they are the only thing capable of being so prcise, so the circular logo if you want a tweakable version is a illustrator file. do you have illustrator so that you can modify it, and also if you would like if you dont have the software, i can either mail you a copy of the software in demo(dont need any legal trouble now) or I can you can makes notes on the jpg of what you might like changed and I can tweak it for you. tell me whats your order.

#26 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:29 AM

Laz,
Cool.. yeh i have adobe ::photoshop ::illustrator 9.0 and image ready.. so whatever you think would be best.. i was thinking of doing a little embossing.. and playing around with the colors.. if you'd like to tweak further that's cool also..

thinking about adding: imminst.org.. for infinite lifespans to the right in a 75/300 pic area ... all with a white background... the details in the circle will be lost.. but i'll use the large circle logo in a watermark.

Thanks!
BJK

#27 Elohim

• Guest Raëlian Philosopher
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:44 AM

http://brantell.7p.c...tes/imminst.GIF

[huh]

Attached Files

#28 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:05 AM

Cool - Thanks for the submission Raëlian.

#29 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:54 PM

sorry I did not reply earlier, been tryig to readjust my sleep schedule, finally waking upin the morning again, usually wake up at 6pm and am awake during the night but I need to get job now and so I need to ba awake when the rest of the world is, hehe. anyways here is the .AI file. on little thing thouhg. because I had to take the original infinity sign over from photoshop it puts a whit back groud behind its so if you want to edit the backgroud then you halve to do it in photoshop and really from what you saying it would be better is I just send to the high reso psd version and save you some time. its at 600 dpi so it should beno problem. but I will send both and you will understand what I meanwhen you got them. that book by the way, the last immortal, whats it like?

Attached Files

#30 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:54 PM

I will have to email you the psd file its to large to post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users