• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Mprize at the World Masters Games

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:06 PM

Link: http://www.2005worldmasters.com
Posted Image

There is nothing more heartening to someone involved in promoting healthy life-extension than to see a bunch of sexta/septa/octo/and nonagenerians who are more vibrant and enthusiastic than those half their age.

I spent the last week manning a trade show booth representing the Mprize here in Edmonton and there is little doubt that these are the people who will be the most vocal supporters of real anti-aging medicine. Unfortunately, although they are receptive to the idea, many still have no idea that science is making strides which could help them in their own lifetimes.

I came away from my time talking to a bunch of athletes whose average age is between 30 and 40 knowing that when these people get whiff of what is coming down the pipe in terms of true anti-aging interventions, they will apply the same determination to obtaining them that they do to keeping their bodies and minds in shape.

A great article to read which helps instill my feeling of optimism..

http://tinyurl.com/935nk

Pair goes over 90 in swimming lanes
Nonagenarians crowd favourites
Posted ImageThe two swimmers in the spotlight have nearly 250 medals and some 30 world records between them. But most of the fans in the stands don't know those stats. They're cheering for another number -- their combined age of 190.

Winnipeg's Timmerman at 96 is the oldest competitor at this year's Games. Bates, who is from Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia, has seniority among the females at 94. They were competing in the 95-plus age groups, but neither acts his or her age.

"I always tell people that you can't measure age in numbers," said Bates. "It has more to do with how we think."

If that's the case, Timmerman might think he's in his mid-20s. While posing for photos, he threw out an idea for a shot.

"Do you want me to pick her up in my arms," he asked, motioning towards Bates.

The no came swiftly, though it seemed both were game. Asked later if he was serious, Timmerman said: "I could've picked her up. But she's old you know."

Attached Files

#2 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:08 PM

"Monte" the Methuselah Mouse served to attract the attention of many of the female persuasion as well as the eye of more than a few youngsters way too tiny to be thinking about our goal. I look at him as a soft and cuddly hook.

Attached Files

#3 justinb

• 726 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:24 PM

Those old people should show us all that life is always worth living.

Good, you don't look high in that booth picture.... [wis] [lol]

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:31 PM

Hmm.. what is that annoying buzzing sound.. [lol]

Here's a shot of a very nice woman who I might be hearing from in the future if she can get the company she works for to get some mouse lifespan studies going.

Attached Files

#5 justinb

• 726 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:34 PM

Since when was I demoted to the status of a fly? [tung] [sfty]

#6 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:09 AM

Awesome work, way to represent [thumb]

Athletes are definitely an ideal target market for life-extension programs...

#7 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

Cool pics, do they sell that mug now?

#8 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:06 AM

Excellent!

Can you give us any number (donations, number of people you talked with, etc) of the success of the campaign?

#9 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:40 AM

I talked to 50-60 individuals who I would qualify as interested individuals and while I only obtained 1 cash in hand donation for 25$ I handed out some Three Hundred brochures to some very enthusiastic people. I also managed to get about $900 off the regular price of the show space which was nice.

For a first shot I would consider it quite successful as for the time I wasn't there, I left brochures and buttons on the table and would come back the next day and they would all be gone and my neighboring booths would tell me how people would come and peck at the stuff.

There is definitely something to allowing people to browse the material themselves. "Fighting Aging" is not something everyone wants to be seen as being interested in so the subtle approach of leaving information accessible but with no human to stare at them seemed to work quite well.

There are a few things I would do differently should I get the opportunity again, like having some kind of sound in the booth. I had the ImmInst DVD playing on the laptop but there was little interest in anything that wasn't in peoples faces. The location of the booth could have been improved as well, I was on the edge of the 'show' and while I had a great vantage point of the lineups that people had to stand in.. they had to stand in them and were not quite free to come and take a look even if they appeared momentarily interested. Having something to hand out for free, or even eat, seemed to be a good way of getting people over into different booths. Many of these athletes are confirmed supplement takers and there were more than a few 'supplement' and holistic type booths which had something to entice people, like free samples etc.. and that would be something to consider.

All in all, I had an absolute ball talking to deathists and even the odd christian fundamentalist who I had a very interesting discussion with but whose friend I don't think felt very Christian towards me... for reasons I won't get into but I'll just say I was always the gentleman.

#10 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:54 AM

The mugs I had made along with the T-Shirts at the same time Aubrey spoke here in Edmonton. Thus far I've used them as PR for some of the TV and radio/newspaper people and for some of the people who've helped me get things set up.

For the moment I'm trying to use them to entice larger donations.. but people need to be really willing to spend money.. a $100 dollar coffee cup just doesnt' cut it unless you already think the cause you're donating to is worth it and the cup is just bonus.`

#11 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:54 AM

50-60 individuals... that's great!

For the future, may contact LEF as they may lend support and/or additional booth materials.

#12 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:57 AM

Good call BJ..

After a day in the booth I actually talked to Relentless Improvement who said that if it was in the U.S. they would have jumped at it. AOR was on my list but it was just too rushed to put anything together at the time. LEF would likely be a more international supporter to approach.

#13 justinb

• 726 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:03 AM

Kevin, instead of going to tradeshows and the alike, why don't you present the MPrize to wealthy people and to capital investers who could give you access to wealthy people?

#14 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:01 PM

Justin, when there aren’t pre-existing relationships, which usually take years to build, that’s called begging. Intelligent people optimize; they don’t beg.

#15 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:01 PM

Kevin, instead of going to tradeshows and the alike, why don't you present the MPrize to wealthy people and to capital investers who could give you access to wealthy people?

The Mprize is of little interest to capital investors as most are interested in what are relatively short turn around times on their investment. This is a twenty-five year, according to estimates of de Grey, effort before we see applications in humans, or minimum 10 years before we can get concrete evidence of the potential of use of therapies used on mice in humans. This timeline is too long for capital investors simply interested in short term

Presenting to wealthy people is a good idea, if you know of any that I can approach, let me know. ;) Have you ever tried to get access to a wealthy person? Not too easy I assure you. Thankfully we have Aubrey moving around the globe to different conferences gaining the ear of more than a few rich people and their friends. I don't have his credentials or deep knowledge so it is likely he is the best person for that job.

For me, I am trying to reach out to the grassroots as most certainly this will be a grassroots movement the likes of which has never been seen. In the end, it will be people fighting for their lives and the lives of their loved ones who will make this happen.

The most effective way of bringing about change I think is by innoculating people against the 'Death Is Inevitable' virus and exposing them to the Life-extension meme... but I'm not adverse to talking to anyone I can drag into my audio range.

:)

#16 justinb

• 726 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:29 PM

I know of a few people and my dad knows friends and collegues of multi-millionaires and one billionaire, although I heard the billionaire is a cheap bastard. I will talk to him about it and see what I can do...

Most rich people are too busy doing this....

Oh yeah....

The fancy cars,
the women and the caviar,
you know who we are,
cuz we're pimpin all over the world.
The fancy cars,
the women and the caviar,
you know who we are,
cuz we're pimpin all over the world.

.... to really give a ++++ about anything.

#17 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:02 PM

I know of a few people and my dad knows friends and collegues of multi-millionaires and one billionaire, although I heard the billionaire is a cheap bastard. I will talk to him about it and see what I can do...

Point them in the direction of the Fortune and Popular Science news items on the Mprize site as a start.

To my mind it all starts with trying to remain consistent in MY own head about the message I'm trying to get across. If I am constantly putting out that message even in my general contacts with individuals, most of the time gently through subtle reminders of the pace of science and new discoveries being made, people in my sphere of influence shift their 'aging is inevitable' meter quite dramatically sometimes, simply by virtue of my sincere and informed doggedness.

If I can effect others so that they become transmitters of the life-extension meme, I've made huge strides IMO.

btw.. poor people are quite concerned with the same things rich ones are.. they just can't afford them. ;)

#18 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

"Monte" the Methuselah Mouse served to attract the attention of many of the female persuasion as well as the eye of more than a few youngsters way too tiny to be thinking about our goal. I look at him as a soft and cuddly hook.

Perhaps we can trigger a beany-baby like craze for these things ;)

#19 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

Getting in contact with wealthy people

Well it's obviously really difficult as they don't exactly have their numbers listed on a telephone book lol. It could take years to build up relationships with people to even get a chance to talk to a billionair and whatever.

I am in a position here where I can talk to extremely wealthy people but there is just one problem, they have been living in other countries such as Austrailia and S.Africa for quite a number of years and I have only met them once when they flew over to the U.K. My mums aunt and cousins live over in austrailia and we have got their numbers. one of them I beleive works in a very high position for ORACLE.AU and 2 cousins own a multi-million $ company making signs like you see in places like vegas with all the lights etc..

Even tho I am able to contact them, I could never just go and say " hey donate a few million to the mprize please " It may take a long time before I could build a relationship and even apporach them saying that. Because I havnt really spoken to them it would be difficult. They have offered me and family to stay at 1 of her 5 mansions or houses in austrailia for free, at some point in the future. But it would seem like begging by just asking them without really getting to know them.

I would have no idea how or when to approach them about donating to the mprize. [mellow]

Nearly all the close family that moved to other countries from the UK are rich *cries*

Edited by Matt, 25 July 2005 - 06:16 PM.

#20 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

Richard branson is getting rather old.. Someone give him a call ;)

#21 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:51 PM

I would have no idea how or when to approach them about donating to the mprize.

If you are sincere in your efforts and have demonstrated a willingness to put in money and/or time into anything, people will listen. Of course you don't go banging on doors unless you are willing to get the slammed in your face however, being able to demonstrate conviction for anything makes people pause and think about the thing you show conviction for.

Although it is important to talk to wealthy people when the opportunity arises, when the opportunity arises to talk to ANYONE about what it is that you are doing in your life, talk about the Mprize and healthy life-extension. You never know WHO you're going to affect and who they in turn know. Think of it like a crystal or snowflake growing and we are providing the nucleation energy. Life is spontaneous and all we need to do is do a little bell ringing, flag waving and pointing in order to get peoples attention so they can see taht the EVIDENCE is there to support our ideas.

All we need is for enough seeds of life to be planted.. everyone's mind is already fertile soil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users