• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Using humans to compute

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chubtoad

• Life Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

Here is a talk about how humans can be used to do certain computing tasks that modern computers can't do (recognizing the objects in images, deciphering the funny looking word that you have to type when you create email accounts). The researcher talks about different games which have been set up to get people to want to do such computing for them.
http://video.google......e:educational

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

Popular Science (or perhaps it was Wired, I get both so I get the articles I read mixed up as to which comes from which) had an article about this in their magazine a couple of months ago, as I recall. There is a website called Mechanical Turk that Amazon set up (of course there may be others) to pay people to do simple tasks that computers can not do. Of course, this is a business model, and not research, but I thought it was still interesting how businesses are picking up on the idea.

I suppose when AGI gets here in a sufficient enough form, these types of tasks will be easy to do with them instead.

Edit: I find that Mechanical Turk was already talked about by scottl in this thread. He describes the concept much better.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

Wow, after watching the video, this is really, really cool! I had heard of the ESP game before, but had no idea the different levels of data and amount of things you could do with the data. The other games he talks about are even more mind-blowing when it comes to the data utilized.

Good stuff. [thumb]

#4 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

Excellent video!!! I've frequently thought about stuff along these lines.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#5 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:30 AM

Excellent indeed, i've been thinking about something like this with MMORPGs. Leverage gameplay that also happens to be doing something beneficial. How about getting people to play around with 3D protein complexes and win points for finding ones that fit together. If they find one that eventually leads to a beneficial drug, Bingo!, they win a large chunk of cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users