Photo
- - - - -

CR - Leanness Vs Low Bodyfat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 columbo

• 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

Most studies looking at leanness/CR use BMI as the primary indicator. Some studies even use the terms BMI and leanness interchangeably which seems backwards to me. A 100m sprinter, for example, they would rank pretty high on the BMI but these people are amongst some of the leanest on the planet (sub 8% bf levels).

Are there any studies which use body fat levels instead of BMI?

Also what are people's thoughts on this...?

http://www.louschule...ex.html#a001364

Cheers

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

Have you checked out the presentations in these two CR videos, from edmonton aging conf?:
http://www.imminst.o...=237&t=15552&s=

They claim that it is the calorie deficit that gives the benefits, not leanness. I thought the talks were very interesting on multiple levels.

#3 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:38 AM

Yes it is all about the caloric restriction not leanness. If it was leanness then we could all cycle T3, HGH, Clenbuterol, Ephedrine etcetera and live forever, sadly not true.

#4 robbie7

• 30 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:29 AM

I agree completely columbo. BMI is not very exact, % body fat is a much more accurate measurement. I do, however, believe you shouldn't get too low and I would suggest after a few years on a CR diet the decrease in % body fat would asymptote somewhere between 3% and 10%. Climate and genetics also play a part in this, I don't believe you should fixate yourself on getting to 5% body fat as a goal in your CR regime, as an example.

Ultimately a CR diet is not designed primarialy to lose weight, but will certainly help you lose 'excess' weight. How much that 'excess' is, is up to you. Once you get to your optimal % body fat, however, you should increase your daily caloric intake so that the % body fat is maintained.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users