Photo
- - - - -

Life Extension, Cancer Protection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

New genes have been identified in the C.Elegans worm, which are associated with life extension and cancer protection:

http://www.physorg.c...s111594666.html

Hopefully, we may have some counterpart genes.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,064 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:26 PM

The most interesting quote from the article.

The genes that stimulated tumor growth also accelerated aging itself, and the genes that prevented tumor growth slowed down the aging process and extended lifespan. These findings greatly strengthen the view that the controls of lifespan and cancer have deep, common roots, Kenyon and Pinkston conclude.

This is a concept that has been extensively debated (sometimes heated) in the Imminst forums for years. Evolved cancer suppression seems to decline with age. Why? Damage accumulation? Genetic changes (telomere shortening)? I wonder if this research gives more credence to Michael Rose's SENS-E approach to anti-aging. If Rose can evolutionarily tweak the genes for longevity you would think he could also strengthen our natural cancer protection (something SENS also hopes to do).

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:20 AM

One conflict I find about it..
Cancer tries to make cells split..
anti cancer prevents it.

#4 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

I agree that Michael Rose is on to something. I didn't see this until after I posted a similar article referencing the same subject in the genetics area. I debated merging them but I think it is better to leave these two discussions running parallel and just link them.

Genes, Cancer, and aging

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#5 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

Why? Damage accumulation? Genetic changes (telomere shortening)?

How about Chromatin Dysregulation? I attended a biomarkers of aging conference a couple of weeks ago and the data seems to be fairly compelling (at least with my current level of knowledge) that this is near or at the heart of the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users