#1 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:24 AM

Now why would this be?

http://www.betterhum...ID=2004-05-31-2

If we're told that caloric intake restriction lengthens lifespan, then
how does that relate to this new finding? Is it possible that caloric
intake has to be judged relative to metabolic rate? (ie. the faster
your metabolism relative to your caloric intake, the longer you live?)

But I thought metabolic rate was dependent on caloric intake, and
hence the utility for caloric intake restriction, due to its effect on
reducing metabolic rate. Or wrong?

What's the real story here? It's getting conflicting and confusing.

#2 ocsrazor

• Guest OcsRazor
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:32 AM

I need to do some checking manofsan, because I have been away from seriously reading the aging literature for about 2 years, but I believe this fits with the building story from caloric restriction research.

A few studies have shown that restricted animals have hyper efficient defense mechanism and greater overall metabolic energy levels than nonrestricted animals. This seems to be due to these animals experiencing greater cell turnover and other renewal processes. If anyone else wants to check I suggest looking at Steve Spindler's work, specifically Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001 Apr;928:296-304

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 heinlein

• 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:41 AM

On the surface paradoxical, yet it does make sense. This is because metabolism itself is not an indicator of longevity, rather the substrates that are used and the products made are the indicators. Thus with an inneficient metabolism, whilst operating at a higher level, it would not produce, for example, as many oxidants.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#4 HealthologisT

• 34 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:09 AM

Perhaps, the key is OPTIMUM metabolism. Each SPECIES has its own Optimum (BASAL) METABOLIC RATE which has to be maintained for Optimum health AND longevity. Other EIPIGENETIC issues have to be factored in, ie., WEIGHT, ETHNICITY, GEOGRAPHY, CLIMATE/TEMPERATURE to get a complete picture.

In Humans, I think the tendency is towards a higher MR (helped along by lifestyle factors like exercise) which serve to make one healthy which in turn increases LIFESPAN.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users