• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Japanese Business Men

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lazarus

• 59 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:18 PM

I am not totally sure but I have heard rumor of some japanese buisness men that have speaker mic device implanet in thier head that run on a lithium ioon "everlasting" battery and is remotely connected to a device that is a complex cell phone/palm pilot/recording device/music device. its aparently totally hidden and surgically implanted just behind thier ear with atachment to the bone of thier jaw for mic. does anyone have any documentation of this, I would love to see details of this.

Edited by Lazarus, 22 February 2003 - 04:20 PM.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:50 AM

This it?

Posted Image

http://news.bbc.co.u...ech/2055654.stm

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Lazarus

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:13 AM

maybe not exactly but yeah that wpouod definitly be like it. I want one:(

#4 ocsrazor

• Guest OcsRazor
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:53 PM

Hi Lazarus and Welcome Aboard!

I am not aware of such a system but the weird thing is that I actually sketched out the details for the exact system you have described with the exception of the battery. The technology doesn't exist, YET. Specifically the transmitter can't be made small enough to make it wireless and pass a whole lot of bandwidth, but it is very close. The tooth BJ posted is great proof of concept that the receive end can essentially be done now. You could do everything now if you didn't mind a cable sticking out of your head and the fact that the transmitter chips still have heat and power consumption problems. Power is going to be an issue too and there are no everlasting batteries out there now, but there are a few interesting solutions to this problem.

I told many friends about this design, so I wonder if you are possibly catching a friend of a friend... story. I'm a neuroengineering graduate student at Georgia tech, but I was previously in L.A, so the rumor may have spread from either there or Atlanta and mutated to include Japanese businessmen. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else is thinking along these lines though as the potential applications of such a device are many. The military and intelligence communities would love to have this device.

I would eventually like to build a device that incorporates multiple sensory system I/O's to produce a true sensory VR stream. The visual system technology is still about ten years off and the other senses (vestibular, tactile, kinesthetic, olfaction, gustation, etc.) won't be far after that. There is going to be a serious bandwidth bottleneck for this system, but I'm hoping the telcom industry keeps up the pace!

Check out my Neural Interfacing thread for further into on where the state of the art is. Right now it is focused on neuro chips, because that is what my grad work is on, but I'll add a section on artificial cochlea and artificial retina technology later today. Here is a teaser pic of an artificial cochlea from that post for you.

Best,
Ocsrazor

Attached Files

#5 lordprovost

• 25 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:25 PM

Hi I read a report in the newspaper about 5 yrs ago that it scientists in Japan had implanted a microchip into someones skull.Apparently this allowed the patient to compute any mathematical equation faster than could be achieved useing a calculator.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 06:48 PM

I doubt that this story was true... yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users