• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Oldest person in the world...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 05:53 AM

Oldest person in the world
turned 122 on February 21, 1997
Posted Image

Jeanne Louise Calment
Photo by N'geen Tien-Gamma Liasion

Jeanne Louise Calment was born in Arles, France on February 21, 1875. She once met Vincent Van Gogh in her father's shop. Her genes may have contributed to her longevity as her father lived to the age of 94 and her mother to the age of 86. She married a distant cousin at the age of 21. Her only grandson died in 1963. She rode a bicycle to the age of 100.

In October of 1995, much press coverage announced that Jeanne had exceeded the lifespan of Shigechiyo (Chigechiyo) Izumi, who until then had held the claim to the longest lived human. In fact, work by John Wilmoth indicates that Izumi may have only been 105 when he died, meaning that Jeanne may have outlived Izumi in 1980. If that is accurate, Jeanne would have become the longest lived human in 1991 when she exceeded the longevity of Carrie White, who died at the age of 116.

Quotes attributed to Jeanne Calment:

In life, one sometimes makes bad deals.
Comments on the notary public, Andre-Francois Raffray, who purchased her apartment, promising to pay $500 per month until Jeanne died. He paid twice the market value for the apartment before dying in December of 1995.

Comments on her vision of the future on her 120th birthday.

I've been forgotten by a good God. (or L'Oubliée de Dieu?)
I've only got one wrinkle and I'm sitting on it. (Je n'ai jamai eu qu'une seule ride et je suis assise dessus.)
I'm a normal woman.
I am very brave and I'm afraid of nothing.
I took pleasure when I could. I acted clearly and morally and without regret. I'm very lucky.
Jeanne Calment published a CD and a VCR tape titled "Maitresse du Temps".

Update

Jeanne Calment, the world's oldest person, died at 122 on Monday August 4, 1997.

Posted Image

#2 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:22 PM

Geez.... no coment.
Heh, she was born 1 day after me! (I mean 116 years before me, but at the February 21- I'm in the 20.) ;)
Hehehe, I was wondering what did everyone said to her in her 120 birthday instead of: "May you live to be a hundred and twenty" [lol]

After all, it doesn't really matter if she died when she was 122 , or when she was 22, nor the way she died (quick death or painful sorrows)- it is the same horrible oblivion, the same nothing, no way to be sorry, to feel the pain, to remember, to comprehend- simply nothing, as the nothing you were before you were born... It doesn't matter at all! never matterd and never will.

~Infernity

#3 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 07:06 PM

It doesn't matter at all! never matterd and never will.

Maybe it doesn't matter to her anymore, but her life mattered to her at the time she was living it, and her life's impact still matters to those of us around who may yet escape oblivion, even if she didn't. So it did matter, and never lose sight of that.

It just didn't matter in the way that matters most to us immortalists: it doesn't matter to her now, and it won't matter to her forever after.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 07:45 PM

Yes Jay, I guess you are right, good point.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#5 karitas

• 48 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:33 AM

I thought the oldest person in the world was Li Qing Yuen who lived to the age of 252 (1678-1930).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users