rhodiola

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:23 AM

i love it and i know some of you also do...i found a really long, really good read some of you might like, specifically the section about its effects upon the Central Nervous System.

http://www.herbalgram.org/herbalgram/artic...view.asp?a=2333

Studies in cell cultures, animals, and humans have revealed antifatigue, anti-stress, antihypoxic (protection against damaging effects of oxygen deprivation), anticancer, antioxidant, immune enhancing and sexual stimulating effects.

The systematic study of the pharmacological effects of R. rosea, begun in 1965, found that small and medium doses had a simulating effect, such as lengthening the time mice swim and remain on vertical perches to the limit of their abilities. In contrast, larger doses were found to have more sedative effects. Small doses increased the bioelectrical activity of the brain, presumably by direct effects on the brainstem ascending and descending reticular formation.23-26,38,39,41 Further studies showed that medium range doses, unlike tranquilizers, enhanced the development of conditioned avoidance reflexes in rats and facilitated learning based on emotionally positive reinforcement.18,42-46 Overall, in small and medium doses, R. rosea stimulated norepinephrine (NE), dopamine (DA), serotonin (5-HT), and nicotinic cholinergic effects in the central nervous system (CNS). It also enhanced the effects of these neurotransmitters on the brain by increasing the permeability of the blood brain barrier to precursors of DA and 5-HT.[/B]2,23,42,46-49  Consequently, the cognitive (thinking, analyzing, evaluating, calculating, and planning) functions of the cerebral cortex and the attention, memory, and learning functions of the prefrontal and frontal cortex are enhanced. Other neuronal systems also contribute to the many aspects of memory: encoding, sorting, storage, and retrieval. For example, the cholinergic system uses the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (Ach) and contributes to memory function via pathways ascending from the memory storage systems of the limbic system to various areas of the cerebral cortex (memory retrieval). Agents that block Ach suppress the activity of these ascending pathways and interfere with memory.[b] R. rosea reverses this blockade.49,50 The deterioration of these systems with age results in age-associated memory loss.52 R. rosea may prevent or ameliorate some age-related dysfunction in these neuronal systems.

im currently taking 'adrenal health' by gaia which has [extracts of] 200mg rhodiola(4%/1%), 400mg holy basil, 100mg ashwagandha(8%), 100mg schizandra, 100mg wild oats. and its had a rather profound effect on my mood, social abilities, and ability to perform mentally while under stress & fatigued... especially when combined with a natural caffeine(like guarana)

Edited by chrono, 12 October 2010 - 05:38 AM.
crossed out dead link

#2 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

I've been testifying to the benefits of r.r. for some time now. I ran out of the stuff and was in a stressful period or at least felt a lot of stress. I got a new shipment in and what a difference it makes. About 220mg in a 0 cap and I'm calm and able to deal with whatever comes up. Its an extract of r.r. that I got from bulk nutrition. Shepard, are you reading this? It doesn't make you sleepy or dopey, it just makes you calm. It also helps with memory and other things but what you notice is that you don't feel the stress.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:12 PM

Shepard, are you reading this? It doesn't make you sleepy or dopey, it just makes you calm. It also helps with memory and other things but what you notice is that you don't feel the stress.

Yeah, I've started back on rhodiola. I'm using the New Chapter 100mg pills a couple of times per day. Haven't noticed much stress relief right now, but I'm having a helluva week.

#4 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:14 PM

xanadu, large doses 400mg(4%/1%) can make you very sleepy actually...

shepard, let me know what you think about the new chapter pills... they are std a little higher than the 4%/1% norm

#5 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

aj, I should have said that my dose does not make me sleepy. I doubt that 400mg would do it either but for someone else it might. I should also point out that I take other things that would tend to reduce the effects of stress such as inositol, taurine, green tea extract and so on. I can't really say it was only the 220mg of r.r. that did the job but it felt that way.

#6 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

Rhodiola is one of the things I take regularly, almost daily.
It helps me reducing stress (the feeling, mostly not the urge to do things) and increasing sociability. Furthermore, a feeling of apathy I sometimes have in certain situations has gone. I take 200mg (3%/1%) a day on an empty stomach after waking up.

#7 nihilist

• 113 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:30 AM

any idea about rho damaging serotonin valves?

ive heard that given its serotonin manipulation, thats a very likely possiblity.

#8 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:21 AM

any idea about rho damaging serotonin valves?

ive heard that given its serotonin manipulation, thats a very likely possiblity.

never heard that, but would be interested to see where you heard that.... i searched around and couldnt even find a mention of rhodiola being dangerous, so im going to asume that what you said is PURE speculation. i dont see how simply manipulating the mechanisms which release serotonin would be damaing...

Edited by ajnast4r, 05 June 2006 - 05:32 AM.

#9 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

One guy reported a pretty bad reaction from high dosages (2+ grams daily), but it was his liver.

#10 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

2 grams, jesus...
the recomended dose is 200MG x 2 or 100MG x 3

#11 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:43 PM

Yeah, he was using it for athletic purposes and admitted that he became greedy (this was on M&M, BTW).

#12 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:54 PM

M&M?

#13 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

Rhodiola rosea is one of the messiest supplements I have ever had to cap.

It's an effective adaptogen that should be considered seriously as a valuable addition to your supplement regime. I'm currently using 500mg Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract 3% Rosavins, 1% Salidrodise.

Unlike some herbal forumlations, Rhodiola acts quickly to help deal with the immediate stressful environment

Stimulating effect of adaptogens: an overview with particular reference to their efficacy following single dose administration.a

Panossian A, Wagner H.

Swedish Herbal Institute, Viktor Rydbergsgatan 10, SE-411 32 Gothenburg, Sweden. ap@shi.se

Plant adaptogens are compounds that increase the ability of an organism to adapt to environmental factors and to avoid damage from such factors. The beneficial effects of multi-dose administration of adaptogens are mainly associated with the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, a part of the stress-system that is believed to play a primary role in the reactions of the body to repeated stress and adaptation. In contrast, the single dose application of adaptogens is important in situations that require a rapid response to tension or to a stressful situation. In this case, the effects of the adaptogens are associated with another part of the stress-system, namely, the sympatho-adrenal-system (SAS), that provides a rapid response mechanism mainly to control the acute reaction of the organism to a stressor. This review focuses primarily on the SAS-mediated stimulating effects of single doses of adaptogens derived from Rhodiola rosea, Schizandra chinensis and Eleutherococcus senticosus. The use of these drugs typically generates no side effects, unlike traditional stimulants that possess addiction, tolerance and abuse potential, produce a negative effect on sleep structure, and cause rebound hypersomnolence or 'come down' effects. Furthermore, single administration of these adaptogens effectively increases mental performance and physical working capacity in humans. R. rosea is the most active of the three plant adaptogens producing, within 30 min of administration, a stimulating effect that continues for at least 4-6 h. The active principles of the three plants that exhibit single dose stimulating effects are glycosides of phenylpropane- and phenylethane-based phenolic compounds such as salidroside, rosavin, syringin and triandrin, the latter being the most active. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Publication Types:

* Review

PMID: 16261511 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

From the above paper:

The most important effects reported in human studies are increases in i) mental working capacity, ii) physical working capacity, iii) the accuracy of movements and iv) the visual functions of the eye.

I'm having this on-going argument/disagreement with my partner at the moment about an increase in reflexes. I believe that my reflexes have increased dramatically. For example, I might be doing the dishes or cleaning up and accidentially knock something of the bench. After realising that I have knocked something off the bench I quickly catch the item. I haven't dropped something for a long time.

Now my partner argues that I should have seen the item in the first place and the fact that I bumped it shows that I am still clumsy. I call her a bitch and she throws something at me. I catch the item she throws at me and then continue with my rebuttle about my reflexes being better. She throws something else. I catch it and so on.

No, I am only joking about me calling her a bitch. I love her dearly :)

If you are interested, there is a great monograph, which summarizes the benefits of Rhodiola here

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:35 PM

zoo, I have noticed the same things about reflexes but assumed it was due to piracetam use. I've always had good reflexes but they seem to be better lately. I assume you use multiple sups too. It's hard sometimes to say what is doing what but long as it works, who cares?

I didn't know rr was supposed to be a stimulant. I never got sleepy off it but maybe I shouldn't take it before bed?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users