Photo
- - - - -

Human Growth Hormone?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 KidCharlemagne

• 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

I can't find much about HGH on these forums (and was sort of wondering why that is). What are the latest opinions of HGH by forum members? Worth the price? Worth it at any price?

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:45 PM

For what purpose? Anti-aging...I wouldn't bother. Body composition, maybe.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 KidCharlemagne

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:45 PM

shepard- not necessarily to extend my life span, but to enjoy whatever lifespan more. That includes body composition effects, energy effects, overall health, etc..

#4 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:09 AM

Care to provide other stats?

#5 KidCharlemagne

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:13 AM

I'm 37 yrs. old. Don't eat very well and I don't get much exercise because of terrible fatigue. I take lamictal, wellbutrin, and zoloft for depression. I'm currently not depressed, so the fatigue is a seperate issue.

#6 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:59 AM

HGH isn't what you're looking for. It will pale in comparison to getting into an exercise regimen and healthy eating. Cleaning up your diet and adding some exercise should help stop your fatigue, with exercise being the better of the two for this purpose, IMO.

Do you have the energy for some light/moderate aerobic work? Maybe incline treadmill walking in front of a TV/computer?

#7 paleo

• 248 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:58 AM

How about HGH in addition to healthy diet and exercise? :)

#8 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:20 AM

A screenshot of an AOR srticle I have (hope they don't sue me):

Posted Image

Their references:

1. Growth hormone as a risk for premature mortality in healthy subjects: data from the Paris prospective study

REf 1:

http://www.pubmedcen...ubmedid=9552951

The influence of growth hormone on mortality in adults is well known in conditions such as growth hormone deficiency and acromegaly.1 2 In both diseases the excess mortality is principally from cardiovascular disorders, but the occurrence of malignant disorders has also been reported in acromegaly.2 To our knowledge the long term effect of physiological growth hormone on mortality in healthy adults has not been reported.

2. A critical analysis of the role of growth hormone and IGF-1 in aging and lifespan.

Studies in Caenorhabditis elegans demonstrate that disruption of the daf-2 signaling pathways extends lifespan. Similarities among the daf-2 pathway, insulin-like signaling in flies and yeast, and the mammalian insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) signaling cascade raise the possibility that modifications to IGF-1 signaling could also extend lifespan in mammals. In fact, growth hormone (GH)/IGF-1-deficient dwarf mice do live significantly longer than their wild-type counterparts. However, multiple endocrine deficiencies and developmental anomalies inherent in these models confound this interpretation. Here, we critique the current mammalian models of GH/IGF-1 deficiency and discuss the actions of GH/IGF-1 on biological aging and lifespan.

Ref 2:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....8&dopt=Abstract

3. Risk of cancer in patients treated with human pituitary growth hormone in the UK, 1959-85: a cohort study.

BACKGROUND: Growth hormone raises serum concentrations of insulin-like growth factor IGF-I, which is mitogenic and antiapoptotic. There is evidence that raised endogenous levels of growth hormone and IGF-I might be associated with increased risk of certain solid cancers, but there have been no data on long-term risks of solid cancers after growth hormone treatment. METHODS: We did a cohort study to investigate cancer incidence and mortality in 1848 patients in the UK who were treated during childhood and early adulthood with human pituitary growth hormone during the period from 1959 to 1985. Patients were followed up for cancer incidence to December, 1995 and for mortality to December, 2000. Risk of cancer in the cohort was compared with that in the general population, controlling for age, sex, and calendar period. FINDINGS: Patients treated with human pituitary growth hormone had significantly raised risks of mortality from cancer overall (standardised mortality ratio 2.8, 95% CI 1.3-5.1; ten cases), colorectal cancer (10.8, 1.3-38.8; two cases), and Hodgkin's disease (11.4, 1.4-41.3; two cases). Incidence of colorectal cancer was also greatly raised (7.9, 1.0-28.7). After exclusion of patients whose original diagnosis rendered them at high risk of cancer, the significance and size of the risks of colorectal cancer incidence and mortality, and of Hodgkin's disease mortality were increased. INTERPRETATION: Although based on small numbers, the risk of colorectal cancer is of some concern and further investigation in other cohorts is needed. We have no evidence as to whether growth hormone in modern dosage regimens is associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer.

Ref 3:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....9&dopt=Abstract

4. Growth hormone replacement in healthy older men improves body composition but not functional ability.

OBJECTIVE: To determine whether growth hormone replacement in older men improves functional ability. DESIGN: Randomized, controlled, double-blind trial. SETTING: General community. PATIENTS: 52 healthy men older than 69 years of age with well-preserved functional ability but low baseline insulin-like growth factor 1 levels. INTERVENTION: Growth hormone (0.03 mg/kg of body weight) or placebo given three times a week for 6 months. MEASUREMENTS: Body composition, knee and hand grip muscle strength, systemic endurance, and cognitive function. RESULTS: The participants' mean age was 75.0 years (range, 70 to 85 years). At 6 months, lean mass had increased on average by 4.3% in the growth hormone group and had decreased by 0.1% in the placebo group, a difference of 4.4 percentage points (95% CI, 2.1 to 6.8 percentage points). Fat mass decreased by an average of 13.1% in the growth hormone group and by 0.3% in the placebo group, a difference of 12.8 percentage points (CI, 8.6 to 17.0 percentage points). No statistically or clinically significant differences were seen between the groups in knee or hand grip strength or in systemic endurance. The mean Trails B score in the growth hormone group improved by 8.5 seconds, whereas scores in the placebo group deteriorated by 5.0 seconds, a difference of 13.5 seconds (CI, 3.1 seconds to 23.9 seconds; P = 0.01). However, the growth hormone group's score on the Mini-Mental Status Examination deteriorated by 0.4, whereas the placebo group's score improved by 0.2, a difference of 0.6 (P = 0.11). The two treatment groups had almost identical scores on the Digit Symbol Substitution Test (P > 0.2). Twenty-six men in the growth hormone group had 48 incidents of side effects, and 26 placebo recipients had 14 incidents of side effects (P = 0.002). Dose reduction was required in 26% of the growth hormone recipients and in none of the placebo recipients (P < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: Physiologic doses of growth hormone given for 6 months to healthy older men with well-preserved functional abilities increased lean tissue mass and decreased fat mass. Although body composition improved with growth hormone use, functional ability did not improve. Side effects occurred frequently.

Ref 4:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=96213851

#9 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

How about HGH in addition to healthy diet and exercise? :)

The data on HGH and HRT in general is still mixed and severely lacking IMO. Unless you have a sizable sports contract and this is a temporary thing to get you over an injury I'd punt. You're only 37. In 10-20 years there will be a lot more data on tuning hormones. Why risk the damage if you don't have to?

Shepard is correct. Get your arse on a treadmill and clean up your diet. You'll probably be able to drop the depression meds.

• Lurker

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:42 AM

If you can find a doctor that will prescribe it and monitor you go for it. By the age of 37 endogenous GH has dropped dramatically. I'm of the view that such supplementation is beneficial. I have a colleague who was suffering from chronic fatigue and immune depression and he was able to locate a doctors who prescribed him melatonin, DHEA and GH. He had to take a number of tests including an MRI to confirm that his pituitary system was somewhat hypoactive. He is only 31. Remember, symptoms of pituitary insufficiency can at times be subclinical and it takes a commited physician to help. Also it is expensive. Only purchase it through your doctor as the black market is riddled with counterfit substances.

• Lurker

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:19 PM

You should find the cause of you fatigue. I have a problem with fatigue because of severe nutritional deficiencies.

Fatigue would be about low adrenal homrone levels. Have you had these checked? William Jeffries MD came up with treating fatigue with low doses of natural hyrdrocortisone. This might be a better possibility than HGH. HGH can have side effects, like increasing your liklihood for diabetes.

You did say your diet isn't good. One thing you can try yourself is a zinc deficiency. The adrenals need zinc and if you have a zinc deficiency it will cause fatigue. Zinc Status is sold in health food stores for less than $20 and tells you immediatedly if you have a zinc deficiency. This is so easy to rule out yourself, a zinc deficiency. Of course you would probably need other nutrients too, if you had a zinc deficiency.

But, fatigue is something you can treat with a less expensive option than HGH.

Anne Louse Gittleman, a nutritionist and author, developed fatigue because of too much copper. (Zinc and copper seem to be more antagonistic than other minerals. Copper has a strong relationship with estrogen and zinc with testosterone, which may explain the strong polarity they have to each other.)

This problem can happen even to those with lots of knowledge about nutrition and who eat a balanced diet.

I think it is possible that some SSRIs do deplete the body of zinc. Did you have the fatigue before you started that meds?

HGH is very expensive and probably would not be recommended (by a doctor) unless your levels were low.

#12 paleo

• 248 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:01 PM

Too much ejaculation can deplete zinc among other things.

• Lurker

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

Yes, that is true. I think I read that each ejaculate (in one day) will contain pregressively less and less zinc.

One of the first signs of a zinc deficiency can be inability to ejaculate or low seman volume. The body does try to perserve zinc levels by reducing the sex drive too.

So it isn't an old wives tale about athletes abstaining from sex before some competition. This makes sense since ejaculating causes a zinc loss. (I think zinc and arginine and a few other nutrients are contained in seman.)

#14 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

How come no one caught that in the other thread?

• Lurker

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

What thread is that?

#16 paleo

• 248 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

What other thread?

#17 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

The Bodybuilding one: http://www.imminst.o...0974&hl=zinc&s=

#18 paleo

• 248 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

The Bodybuilding one: http://www.imminst.o...0974&hl=zinc&s=

Gotcha! :)

#19 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:45 AM

Possibly helpful commentary:

http://www.fightagin...ives/000886.php

http://www.fightagin...ives/000674.php

#20 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

You should find the cause of you fatigue. I have a problem with fatigue because of severe nutritional deficiencies.

Fatigue would be about low adrenal homrone levels. Have you had these checked? William Jeffries MD came up with treating fatigue with low doses of natural hyrdrocortisone. This might be a better possibility than HGH. HGH can have side effects, like increasing your liklihood for diabetes.

Good advice!
You should get a complete hormonal panel, including adrenal and thyroid hormones as first thing.
Then break down your diet and check for the sources of essential vitamins and minerals that you may lack (zinc maybe, but maybe others/more).
Third, try to get rid of drugs that depletes your body of essential elements.

#21 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

I am not totally against hormone therapy. We have a lot of knowledge about the function of hormones in young and growing people, but not so much about hormone supplementation in older people. I could be useful if a person has some abnormal deficiency, however, I would try a change of diet and exercise first.

• Lurker

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:01 PM

What other thread?

Who wants to tell a 16 year old male not to ejaculate because it can be bad for his health? It might be considered mean by some, but is it realistic?

Edited by chrono, 27 October 2010 - 09:59 AM.
fixed quote tag

#23 paleo

• 248 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

What other thread?

Who wants to tell a 16 year old male not to ejaculate because it can be bad for his health? It might be considered mean by some, but is it realistic?

Hahahahahaha............

Edited by chrono, 27 October 2010 - 10:00 AM.
fixed quote tag

#24 regino007

• 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

Gh is expensive and at frequent injs and not mentions the lenght of time of administer to get the effects you are looking for might discourage you of thinking about it.(usually 4-6 months min)

#25 olaf.larsson

• 583 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

HGH is promoted by people who eighter dont know what they are talking about or only want to make money and dont give a shit about your health.

#26 vortexentity

• 243 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:09 AM

It is also promoted by people who it has helped and they have their own evidence that it works.

#27 olaf.larsson

• 583 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

It is also promoted by people who it has helped and they have their own evidence that it works.

The thing you say is that you based on the short term benefits hope it will also be beneficial in the longer term, rather then decrimental, even though the is some evidence from mice experiments that point at the oposit. I wouldn´t make such gamling.

#28 vortexentity

• 243 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:35 AM

I happen to know a human who has used and promoted HGH for about 17 years. There is very little in the way of studies that have taken place over that long of a period.

His evidence is that he would have been dead long ago if he had not started on HGH. In this instance he is right in that the gamble was with his own live and he has won by staying alive. Mouse studies is inacurrate crap. It has nothing to do with humans. We are not mice. Well most of us are not. The evidence I need is in front of me. A friend who would have not made it this long without using HGH. It made his life a lot longer.

#29 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:25 AM

I happen to know a human who has used and promoted HGH for about 17 years. There is very little in the way of studies that have taken place over that long of a period.

His evidence is that he would have been dead long ago if he had not started on HGH. In this instance he is right in that the gamble was with his own live and he has won by staying alive. Mouse studies is inacurrate crap. It has nothing to do with humans. We are not mice. Well most of us are not. The evidence I need is in front of me. A friend who would have not made it this long without using HGH. It made his life a lot longer.

I'm going to investigate the possibility of putting my father on HGH who is now 76yrs old and has in the past year noticeably declined. Doctors appointment tomorrow and will be interesting to see what he has to say.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:38 AM

I can't find much about HGH on these forums (and was sort of wondering why that is). What are the latest opinions of HGH by forum members? Worth the price? Worth it at any price?

Here is the government's analysis of HGH, a graphical descripton. Very comprehensive, lays out the risks and benefits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users