Therapeutic potential of resveratrol

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:22 AM

Did you read that?! the title says in vivo

Now it's about time a review of in vivo evidence came

Therapeutic potential of resveratrol: the in vivo evidence.

* Baur JA,
        * Sinclair DA.

Paul F. Glenn Laboratories for the Biological Mechanisms of Aging, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA.

Resveratrol, a constituent of red wine, has long been suspected to have cardioprotective effects. Interest in this compound has been renewed in recent years, first from its identification as a chemopreventive agent for skin cancer, and subsequently from reports that it activates sirtuin deacetylases and extends the lifespans of lower organisms. Despite scepticism concerning its bioavailability, a growing body of in vivo evidence indicates that resveratrol has protective effects in rodent models of stress and disease. Here, we provide a comprehensive and critical review of the in vivo data on resveratrol, and consider its potential as a therapeutic for humans.

PMID: 16732220 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:29 AM

Thanks, a good read.

It is one of the supplements on my watchlist. There is great potential there, but I have time to wait for more research before taking the plunge (with the exception of the amount I get in orthocore and diet).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, I'm the same way about it. I get probably enough from my core and I eat red grapes which would give me more so until I see evidence that larger doses do a lot more than small doses, I will stick with small ones. People in mediteranean countries only eat a normal amount of resveratrol containing foods. It wasn't the concentrate that caught the attention of the medical establishment, it was normal use which probably would be no more than 1 mg or so per day. Less is often better.

#4 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:54 AM

I started taking resveratrol, I'm enjoying it so far.

#5 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:09 AM

I started taking resveratrol, I'm enjoying it so far.

In what way are you enjoying it?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

I imagine he enjoys a new lightness of being, an extra spring in his step, now that he isn't weighed down by that heavy wallet anymore ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users