New breast cancer 'wonder drug' could be available

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

News source

New breast cancer 'wonder drug' could be available within months

A 'wonder drug' capable of revolutionising breast cancer treatment could be available within months.

Taken once a day at home, Tykerb tablets can halve the speed of the growth of the cancer, giving those in the late stages of the disease several precious extra months of life.

Billed as better than the highly-rated Herceptin, the pills offer hope to at least of third of the 43,000 British women diagnosed with the devastating disease each year.

Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline will this week apply for a licence for the drug - which means it could be prescribed to women in the late stages of the disease early next year.

Following further research, it could be cleared for use in women in the early stages of the disease within just two years.

Although no price has yet been set for Tykerb it is believed it will be cheaper than Herceptin which costs £24,000 for a year's course.

However, it will not be available on the NHS unless the Government's drugs rationing body decides its benefits outweigh its cost - a hurdle other cancer drugs have struggled, and in some cases, failed to clear.

Described as a 'Trojan horse', Tykerb, which is also known as lapatinib, seeks out cancer cells and attacks them from within.

Tests have shown it can kill two rogue proteins which, between them, fuel the growth of at least a third of breast cancers. Fellow breast cancer drug Herceptin only targets one of the proteins.

The drug also works in women who have become resistant to Herceptin, leading to Glaxo billing it as being better than its rival.

Given in tablet form, it is also easier to take than Herceptin, which is taken intravenously, and has fewer side-effects.

Trials in hundreds of women have shown that it slows down the progression of the advanced form of two types of breast cancer, known as HER1 and HER2.

The researchers focused on women whose health was getting worse, despite treatment with Herceptin and other drugs.

Half of the women took Tykerb in combination with another treatment called Xeloda, while the other half took Xeloda alone.

Those taking Tykerb and Xeloda found their condition did not deteriorate any further for an average of 37 weeks, while those on Xeloda alone were only given a 20-week reprieve.

The results were seen as so successful that the trial was stopped six months early and Glaxo is now applying for Tykerb to be licensed for use in advanced breast cancer, where the disease has spread either through the breast or through the body.

Likely to be used initially in cases where Herceptin fails to work, it is likely to become more widely used over time.

While it is thought it will also be effective against early-stage breast cancer, more research is necessary before this is confirmed.

Tykerb also offers hope in treating the spread of cancer to the brain - something that often happens in advanced breast cancer.

Trials have shown that the drug can both prevent the spread of the disease to the brain and can help shrink the cancer if it does take root there.

The drug is also showing promise in treating kidney and liver cancers.

Licensing by the European Medicines Agency means it could be on sale in the UK by next June.

Although doctors will be able to prescribe up after licensing, approval from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence is needed before it is freely available on the NHS.

Until, then, it will be up to individual trusts to decide whether to fund the drug, creating a postcode lottery.

Yet to be priced, the drug is bound to be more expensive than longer-standing cancer treatment.

However, taken as a tablet at home, it is likely to be cheaper than £24,000-a-year Herceptin, which is infused intravenously in hospital.

Glaxo said it is committed to making the drug as affordable as possible.

'GlaxoSmithKline is acutely aware of issues around the pricing of new oncology treatments,' a spokesman said. 'It is in no-one's interests for innovative, potentially life saving medicines to be inaccessible due to costs and problems of funding.

'We are therefore seeking to establish a worldwide pricing strategy for Tykerb that will not be an obstacle to patients.

'We believe that Tykerb has significant potential to be an essential component of future treatment for women with advanced breast cancer.'

Cancer experts said that while the drug is not a cure, it does offer fresh hope for sufferers of the disease which claims the lives of more than 1,000 British women a month.

Dr Richard Sullivan, of Cancer Research UK, said advanced breast cancer was notoriously hard to treat.

He said: 'This is going to be an exciting and useful additional tool in our overall strategy against breast cancer.

'The real excitement is the question of what will this do for early breast cancer.'

Dr Sarah Rawlings, of Breakthrough Breast Cancer, said: 'We welcome any developments in effective, targeted treatment for women with breast cancer.

'This new treatment looks promising and might be particularly useful for those women who don?t respond to Herceptin. Its tablet form also offers advantages by making it easier for patients to take.'

'However, it?s at an early stage and we need to see the results of larger trials before we know its true value in treating women with breast cancer.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find this story at http://www.dailymail...in_page_id=1774
©2006 Associated New Media

#2 Matt

• 2,864 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

I know that breast cancer affects a lot of people, and its very good that treatments are getting better! But doesn't it seem like a LARGE majority of the attention is going to this specefic cancer and others are getting little attention or funding compared to breast cancer. Its just an observation i've noticed over the last few years.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:40 PM

I don't know, a fair amount of focus has been put on cervical cancer mostly in the development of vaccines.

I think breast cancer tends to get a lot of notice and support mostly because of the publicity efforts. The whole "Pink Ribbon Brigade" is huuuuge.

#4 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:40 PM

"giving those in the late stages of the disease several precious extra months of life."

- so the advanced cancer patients are still going to die...?

#5 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:44 PM

Another thing is that 50% of the population is trained to check for breast cancer every month. Start providing home colonoscopy kits and the focus might change.

#6 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

"giving those in the late stages of the disease several precious extra months of life."

- so the advanced cancer patients are still going to die...?

Yep.

It reads to me that they are testing on advanced stage patients to see if and how well it works with aims towards using it in earlier stages.

When your lifespan suddenly contracts to six months a few more can seem like an eternity. And yep, death blows.

#7 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:23 PM

But if they couple this "wonder drug" with megadoses of all the relevant supplements previously discussed here I believe the cancer may still be reversed.

#8 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:27 PM

I know that breast cancer affects a lot of people, and its very good that treatments are getting better! But doesn't it seem like a LARGE majority of the attention is going to this specefic cancer and others are getting little attention or funding compared to breast cancer. Its just an observation i've noticed over the last few years.

An excellent observation, Matt. I've noticed the same thing myself. In fact, you could say all women's issues get much more attention and funding than do men's issues, for example. About the only other subject that gets much attention is black diseases such as sickle cell. Breast cancer gets probably 20 times the funding that prostate cancer gets. And damn near every day we get hit with a message to contribute more toward a cure for breast cancer.

I hope they find a cure for breast cancer, I really do. I would just like to see a little bit of fairness in the process.

#9 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:47 PM

Another thing is that 50% of the population is trained to check for breast cancer every month.  Start providing home colonoscopy kits and the focus might change.

That is a damn good idea!

#10 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:00 AM

I agree. The whole self-exam for breast cancer has been around for a long time - it's low tech. Now that we have higher tech testing that people could (in theory) perform for themselves - they should.

A lot of cancers are quite treatable - the problem is that screening happens infrequently and usually only after a problem has been noticed. At that point you are usually already in deep trouble.

#11 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:06 AM

Another easy, low tech exam we should be training our kids on is skin self-examination. I don't think I ever heard a thing about skin self-examination until I was an adult and my Brother got skin cancer.

#12 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:23 AM

Or just have some genius create a quick comprehensive scanning method for any cancer type, which may be less overwhelming and more accurate in the future

#13 Matt

• 2,864 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:41 PM

I think its about the whole 'save the women and children' thing... *** the men, let them die lol...

#14 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:17 AM

I think its about the whole 'save the women and children' thing... *** the men, let them die lol...

Hehe, yeah, I think so too, although I am male so I suppose I have a natural bias. HIV, I think, is quite over-hyped. If it struck people at random like cancer does, I would give it more sympathy. But come on, the disease is completely preventable. I feel most sorry for those children who are born with it in certain parts of the world. It seems that their parents differ little from animals.

#15 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:10 AM

HIV, I think, is quite over-hyped.  If it struck people at random like cancer does, I would give it more sympathy.  But come on, the disease is completely preventable.

What makes you think cancer is random?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:32 AM

Ok, your probability of cancer does increase with age. Besides that though, there is not much that can be done to prevent it. Sure, avoiding unnecessary sun exposure may help to reduce the risk of skin cancer. However, even if you lived in darkness all your life, you could still get skin cancer. There are things we can do to reduce the risk of getting cancer, but no way to guarentee that we will never acquire cancer. However, since HIV can only be transmitted between direct human contact (HIV virus dies upon open air contact) HIV is preventable. Avoid contact with all other living creatures (you don't even need to go that far actually) and you can be guarenteed of not getting HIV.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users