Photo
- - - - -

Vitamins C and E and Beta Carotene: No benefit

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

First, some introductory information regarding the primary source of evidence, Archives of Internal Medicine -- a publication of The American Medical Association -- this information is from Wikipedia -- it seems to be accurate as of August 13, 2007:

Archives of Internal Medicine
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Archives of Internal Medicine is a bi-monthly international peer-reviewed professional medical journal published by the American Medical Association. Archives of Internal Medicine, begun in 1908, publishes original, peer-reviewed manuscripts on a full spectrum of internal medicine topics including cardiovascular disease, geriatrics, infectious disease, gastroenterology, endocrinology, allergy, and immunology.

The Archives of Internal Medicine, which publishes 22 times per year, has a a print circulation of over 100 000 physicians in 75 countries. The Archives of Internal Medicine's recent acceptance rate is about 10%.
The average time from receipt to first decision is 12 days; from receipt to final decision, 14 days; from submission to publication, 152 days. The Editor of the Archives of Internal Medicine is Philip Greenland, MD, Executive Associate Dean, Clinical and Translational Research, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Ill (see Archives Editorial Board).

The journal's impact factor was 8.0 in 2005, ranking near the top among over 100 general and internal medicine titles.

Here is the study abstract:

Posted Image

Vol. 167 No. 15, Aug 13/27, 2007
Original Investigation

A Randomized Factorial Trial of Vitamins C and E and Beta Carotene in the Secondary Prevention of Cardiovascular Events in Women
Results From the Women's Antioxidant Cardiovascular Study

Nancy R. Cook, ScD; Christine M. Albert, MD; J. Michael Gaziano, MD; Elaine Zaharris, BA; Jean MacFadyen, BA; Eleanor Danielson, MIA; Julie E. Buring, ScD; JoAnn E. Manson, MD, DrPH

Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:1610-1618.

Background Randomized trials have largely failed to support an effect of antioxidant vitamins on the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). Few trials have examined interactions among antioxidants, and, to our knowledge, no previous trial has examined the individual effect of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) on CVD.

Methods  The Women's Antioxidant Cardiovascular Study tested the effects of ascorbic acid (500 mg/d), vitamin E (600 IU every other day), and beta carotene (50 mg every other day) on the combined outcome of myocardial infarction, stroke, coronary revascularization, or CVD death among 8171 female health professionals at increased risk in a 2 x 2 x 2 factorial design. Participants were 40 years or older with a history of CVD or 3 or more CVD risk factors and were followed up for a mean duration of 9.4 years, from 1995-1996 to 2005.

Results  A total of 1450 women experienced 1 or more CVD outcomes. There was no overall effect of ascorbic acid (relative risk [RR], 1.02; 95% CI, 0.92-1.13 [P = .71]), vitamin E (RR, 0.94; 95% CI, 0.85-1.04 [P = .23]), or beta carotene (RR, 1.02; 95% CI, 0.92-1.13 [P = .71]) on the primary combined end point or on the individual secondary outcomes of myocardial infarction, stroke, coronary revascularization, or CVD death. A marginally significant reduction in the primary outcome with active vitamin E was observed among the prespecified subgroup of women with prior CVD (RR, 0.89; 95% CI, 0.79-1.00 [P = .04]; P value for interaction, .07). There were no significant interactions between agents for the primary end point, but those randomized to both active ascorbic acid and vitamin E experienced fewer strokes (P value for interaction, .03).

Conclusion  There were no overall effects of ascorbic acid, vitamin E, or beta carotene on cardiovascular events among women at high risk for CVD.

Trial Registration  clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00000541

Author Affiliations: Divisions of Preventive Medicine (Drs Cook, Albert, Gaziano, Buring, and Manson and Mss Zaharris, MacFadyen, and Danielson), Cardiovascular Medicine (Drs Albert, Gaziano, and Buring), and Aging (Drs Gaziano and Buring), Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts; Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston (Drs Cook, Buring, and Manson); Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System (Dr Gaziano); and Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School, Boston (Dr Buring).

Thoughts, comments?

Take care.

#2 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, the combination of C + E did result in fewer strokes, so it seems there was some benefit.

Are there any studies using C, E and Beta Carotene in moderate levels (RDA-ish) on healthy people, to see if there is a health benefit? Most of these sorts of studies tend to use megadose levels.

I ran across one such antioxidant study a while ago, forget where... where it showed a benefit for men, but not women, oddly enough.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:42 PM

Another large long term study showing little benefit to one area of health (CVD). Seems these are a dime a dozen nowadays. Since the women were at risk and over 40 one could probably raise the argument that supplementation is a "prevention process" and not a "corrective process" (although many vitamins and minerals are certainly advertised, sometimes irresponsibly, as miracle cures)

#4 efosse

• 135 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the article. I'm beginning to think more and more that glycemic control and anti-inflammatory effects are more important than anti-oxidants (at least from vitmains -- polyphenols an catechins look very promising, in contrast). For example, here's a study showing NO anti-inflammatory effects from C and E:

J Nutr. 2003 Apr;133(4):1170-3. Related Articles, Links

Long-term combined supplementations with alpha-tocopherol and vitamin C have no detectable anti-inflammatory effects in healthy men.

Bruunsgaard H, Poulsen HE, Pedersen BK, Nyyssönen K, Kaikkonen J, Salonen JT.

Department of Infectious Diseases, H:S, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. infdishb@rh.dk

Inflammatory and oxidative stresses play a pivotal role in atherogenesis. Vitamin E and vitamin C are the two most important dietary antioxidants; moreover, vitamin E has anti-inflammatory effects. Combined supplementations with vitamin E and vitamin C twice daily for 3 y reduced lipid peroxidation and retarded the progression of common carotid atherosclerosis in healthy men in the Antioxidant Supplementation in Atherosclerosis Prevention (ASAP) study. To further elucidate the underlying mechanisms that retarded the progression of atherosclerosis in the ASAP study, we investigated the effect of a combined intake of vitamin E and vitamin C on inflammatory markers in vivo. Circulating levels of tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, interleukin (IL)-6, and C reactive protein (CRP) were measured in 45- to 69-y-old men from the ASAP study with cholesterol >5.0 mmol/L before and after treatment with either placebo (n = 52) or a combined supplementation with 91 mg (136 IU) alpha-tocopherol and 250 mg of slow-release vitamin C twice a day (n = 55) for 3 y. Antioxidant treatment for 36 mo had no effect on circulating levels of TNF-alpha, IL-6 or CRP. In conclusion, long-term combined supplementations with alpha-tocopherol and vitamin C in reasonable doses have no detectable systemic anti-inflammatory effects in a healthy population of men with slight hypercholesterolemia and no overt signs of inflammation.

#5 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

Does the ASAP study show that the supplements were beneficial, or not? On one hand, they state:

Combined supplementations with vitamin E and vitamin C twice daily for 3 y reduced lipid peroxidation and retarded the progression of common carotid atherosclerosis in healthy men in the Antioxidant Supplementation in Atherosclerosis Prevention (ASAP) study.

Later on they state that the supplements didn't show any anti-inflammatory effects, which I assume means that E + C were helpful, but it wasn't because of anti-inflammatory reasons.

#6 orbital

• 39 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:31 AM

My thought/comment is that the studies never seem to state whether they simply pluck people with unhealthy lifestyles and give them three supplements, which I'm inclined to think may be what happens.

The studies therefore cannot claim that these supplements have no value as part of a healthy lifestyle.

#7 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

Thoughts, comments?

I can't get access to the full paper, but according to this the study showed the following results:

• Vitamin E led to a 22 percent reduction in the risk of heart attack.
• Vitamin E led to a 27 percent less risk of stroke.
• Vitamin E led to a 9 percent lower risk of death from cardiovascular disease.
• Vitamin E led to a 23 percent lower combined risk of heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular-related death.
• Vitamin E and vitamin C together lowered the risk of stroke by 31 percent.

These results seem significant, and totally at odds with the authors' conclusions.

According to the article, the reason this is so different than the reported results is that the authors for some reason included in their results the people who didn't consistently take the vitamins!

Why would they do this? It makes no sense to me.

Can someone who can get the entire article verify this?

#8 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the article. I'm beginning to think more and more that glycemic control and anti-inflammatory effects are more important than anti-oxidants (at least from vitmains -- polyphenols an catechins look very promising, in contrast).

Adam Kamil posted the below abstract elsewhere. I find it funny that while the establishment mantra has been "It's the phytochemicals in vitamin C-containing foods that prevent disease." in this study they found phytochemicals to be beneficial UNTIL they accounted for vitamin C's effect. Does this mean that vitamin C's cancer prevention effects have achieved the status of OFFICIAL TRUTH?

Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Aug;16(8):1621-5.
Flavonoids and the risk of oral and pharyngeal cancer: a case-control study from Italy.
Rossi M, Garavello W, Talamini R, Negri E, Bosetti C, Dal Maso L, Lagiou P, Tavani A, Polesel J, Barzan L, Ramazzotti V, Franceschi S, La Vecchia C.
Laboratorio di Epidemiologia, Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche "Mario Negri", Via La Masa 19, 20156, Milan, Italy. mrossi@marionegri.it.

The intake of flavonoids has been inversely related to the risk of various common neoplasms, but scanty data exist on oral and pharyngeal cancer. We used data from a case-control study conducted in Italy between 1992 and 2005 to examine the relationship between flavonoid intake and oral and pharyngeal cancer risk. The study included 805 cases with incident, histologically confirmed oral and pharyngeal cancer, and 2,081 hospital controls admitted for acute, nonneoplastic conditions. We have applied data on food and beverage content of six major classes of flavonoids, on dietary information collected through a validated food-frequency questionnaire. The odds ratios (OR) were calculated using multiple logistic regression models, conditioned on study center, sex, and age. After adjustment for education, tobacco, alcohol, body mass index, and non-alcohol energy intake, ORs for the highest versus the lowest quintile of intake were 0.51 [95% confidence intervals (95% CI), 0.37-0.71] for flavanones, 0.62 (CI, 0.43-0.89) for flavonols, and 0.56 (95% CI, 0.40-0.78) for total flavonoids. No significant association emerged for isoflavones (OR, 0.90), anthocyanidins (OR, 0.86), flavan-3-ols (OR, 0.84), and flavones (OR, 0.75). The ORs were consistent across strata of age, sex, education, body mass index, tobacco, and alcohol. After allowance for vegetable and fruit consumption, the inverse relations with total flavonoids and flavanones remained significant, whereas that with flavonols became nonsignificant. None of the associations were significant after further allowance for vitamin C, probably on account of the high collinearity between these compounds.

PMID: 17684136

#9 efosse

• 135 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:31 PM

The HUGE problem with these vitamin studies is that we don't know what kind of diets these people are eating. If they're sh*t diets then, yeah, it may have some benefit to take vitmains.

But I find that I get 300+ of my daily vitamins if I just add a half a bunch of broccoli on top of my regular diet (according to the cronometer nutrition program). So why not take broccoli instead, since it also has fiber?

#10 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

Broccoli has a ton of important phytonutrients on top of the vitamin content and fiber.

Sulforaphane, DIM, I3C, Calcium-d-glucarate, to name a few.

#11 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:59 PM

Since the women were at risk and over 40 one could probably raise the argument that supplementation is a "prevention process" and not a "corrective process"

By "supplementation", you surely mean "supplementation with certain antioxidant vitamins". To generalize observations of particular supplements for particular conditions as applying to the entire concept of supplementation is as incorrect as generalizing observations of particular drugs as pertaining to all of pharmacology.

This is a sore point with me because of the media tendency to ignore positive supplement studies, and proclaim based on negative supplement studies that everything of benefit to human health must either come from eaten food or be a patentable synthetic molecule.

Edited by bgwowk, 14 August 2007 - 08:07 PM.

#12 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

A long term broccoli study on heart disease and cancer would be interesting, but ya also have to get them to comply. Most folks would rather take a vitamin pill than eat broccoli everyday. I force myself to eat some broccoli, but I can't say I love the stuff.

And efosse makes a great point regarding the original diets of those being studied. It very well could be the reason that lots of these studies have conflicting results (or so it seems). The muddled approaches and poor design to some of these studies also don't help much.

And for the study that started this post, it'd be downright bizarre if the authors included people who didn't consistently take their vitamins. I mean, how could you get a proper result that means anything that way? I'm too interested if anyone out there has access to the full study.

And even if the results were skewed, the report isn't fully negative. Maybe I just tend to look for positives, but a reduced risk of stroke alone seems to make the supplements beneficial from a scientific standpoint.

#13 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

By "supplementation", you surely mean "supplementation with certain antioxidant vitamins".

Yep, that is what I was thinking, sorry for the sloppy generalization.

#14 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

Thoughts, comments?

I can't get access to the full paper, but according to this the study showed the following results:

• Vitamin E led to a 23 percent lower combined risk of heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular-related death.

These results seem significant, and totally at odds with the authors' conclusions.

According to the article, the reason this is so different than the reported results is that the authors for some reason included in their results the people who didn't consistently take the vitamins!

Why would they do this? It makes no sense to me.

Can someone who can get the entire article verify this?

As soon as I saw the study abstract, I copy/pasted it here. After reading what you posted that was presented at this page, I decided to examine the full text. I just got back from my almost daily workout, and I've got an endorphin rush going, so what they hey. It's best to be as careful as possible and I try not to come to any conclusions myself; that's what meta-analyses are for. :p

In fact, health policy now is not determined by one study or another, but rather by particular systems of meta analysis. It's far too easy for biases to play a role in the findings of one (randomized) study or another (let's say a pharmaceutical firm funded the study, the researchers did a sloppy job, made an error in transcription, there was an undisclosed or hidden conflict of interest, etc.).

If you really want to learn how modern health care decisions are being made these days, please evaluate Systems to Rate the Strength of Scientific Evidence: Evidence Report/Technology Assessment: Number 47. I will copy/paste the introduction for you to evaluate:

Posted Image

Introduction

Health care decisions are increasingly being made on research-based evidence rather than on expert opinion or clinical experience alone. Systematic reviews represent a rigorous method of compiling scientific evidence to answer questions regarding health care issues of treatment, diagnosis, or preventive services. Traditional opinion-based narrative reviews and systematic reviews differ in several ways. Systematic reviews (and evidence-based technology assessments) attempt to minimize bias by the comprehensiveness and reproducibility of the search for and selection of articles for review. They also typically assess the methodologic quality of the included studies—i.e., how well the study was designed, conducted, and analyzed—and evaluate the overall strength of that body of evidence. Thus, systematic reviews and technology assessments increasingly form the basis for making individual and policy-level health care decisions.

Throughout the 1990s and into the 21st century, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has been the foremost Federal agency providing research support and policy guidance in health services research. In this role, it gives particular emphasis to quality of care, clinical practice guidelines, and evidence-based practice—for instance through its Evidence-based Practice Center (EPC) program. Through this program and a group of 12 EPCs in North America, AHRQ seeks to advance the field's understanding of how best to ensure that reviews of the clinical or related literature are scientifically and clinically robust.

The Healthcare Research and Quality Act of 1999, Part B, Title IX, Section 911(a) mandates that AHRQ, in collaboration with experts from the public and private sectors, identify methods or systems to assess health care research results, particularly "methods or systems to rate the strength of the scientific evidence underlying health care practice, recommendations in the research literature, and technology assessments." AHRQ also is directed to make such methods or systems widely available.

AHRQ commissioned the Research Triangle Institute—University of North Carolina EPC to undertake a study to produce the required report, drawing on earlier work from the RTI-UNC EPC in this area.1 The study also advances AHRQ's mission to support research that will improve the outcomes and quality of health care through research and dissemination of research results to all interested parties in the public and private sectors both in the United States and elsewhere.

The overarching goals of this project were to describe systems to rate the strength of scientific evidence, including evaluating the quality of individual articles that make up a body of evidence on a specific scientific question in health care, and to provide some guidance as to "best practices" in this field today. Critical to this discussion is the definition of quality. "Methodologic quality" has been defined as "the extent to which all aspects of a study's design and conduct can be shown to protect against systematic bias, nonsystematic bias, and inferential error."(Ref. 1, p. 472) For purposes of this study, the authors hold quality to be the extent to which a study's design, conduct, and analysis have minimized selection, measurement, and confounding biases, with their assessment of study quality systems reflecting this definition.

The authors do acknowledge that quality varies depending on the instrument used for its measurement. In a study using 25 different scales to assess the quality of 17 trials comparing low molecular weight heparin with standard heparin to prevent post-operative thrombosis, Juni and colleagues reported that studies considered to be of high quality using one scale were deemed low quality on another scale.2 Consequently, when using study quality as an inclusion criterion for meta-analyses, summary relative risks for thrombosis depended on which scale was used to assess quality. The end result is that variable quality in efficacy or effectiveness studies may lead to conflicting results that affect analyst's or decisionmakers' confidence about findings from systematic reviews or technology.

The remainder of this summary briefly describes the methods used to accomplish these goals and provides the results of the authors' analysis of relevant systems and instruments identified through literature searches and other sources. They present a selected set of systems that they believe are ones that clinicians, policymakers, and researchers can use with reasonable confidence for these purposes, giving particular attention to systematic reviews, randomized controlled trials (RCTs), observational studies, and studies of diagnostic tests. Finally, they discuss the limitations of this work and of evaluating the strength of the practice evidence for systematic reviews and technology assessments and offer suggestions for future research. The authors do not examine issues related to clinical practice guideline development or assigning grades or ratings to formal guideline recommendations.

I was telling my friend George (from MySpace) about these systems, and I tried try to emphasize the following issue with him, as I will now here -- that these systems aren't determined by one dude or dudette sitting up in his or her office arbitrarily deciding how to "run" things. It's teams of 13 Evidence-based Practice Centers. Here's some introductory information regarding these centers and what they do:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Evidence-based Practice Centers
Synthesizing scientific evidence to improve quality and effectiveness in health care

Overview

In 1997 the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR), now known as the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), launched its initiative to promote evidence-based practice in everyday care through establishment of 12 Evidence-based Practice Centers (EPCs). The EPCs develop evidence reports and technology assessments on topics relevant to clinical, social science/behavioral, economic, and other health care organization and delivery issues—specifically those that are common, expensive, and/or significant for the Medicare and Medicaid populations. With this program, AHRQ became a "science partner" with private and public organizations in their efforts to improve the quality, effectiveness, and appropriateness of health care by synthesizing the evidence and facilitating the translation of evidence-based research findings. Topics are nominated by non-federal partners such as professional societies, health plans, insurers, employers, and patient groups. Go to http://www..ahrq.gov...c/epctopicn.htm for topic nomination procedures. Federal partners often request evidence reports and should contact the EPC Program Director for more information.

For details on the EPC program for current and potential partner organizations, go to the EPC Partner's Guide.

Centers

In June 2002, AHRQ announced the second award of 5-year contracts for EPC-II to 13 Evidence-based Practice Centers to continue and expand the work performed by the original group of EPCs. Most of the second group of EPCs were part of the initial set. However, EPC-II brings in three new institutions to the program—the Universities of Alberta, Minnesota, and Ottawa—while MetaWorks® and the University of Texas-San Antonio have concluded their respective contracts as two of the original EPCs.

Three of the EPCs specialize in conducting technology assessments for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Go to: http://www..ahrq.gov/clinic/techix.htm for more information.

One EPC concentrates on supporting the work of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). Go to: http://www..ahrq.gov...ic/uspstfix.htm for more information.

The current EPCs are located at:

• Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, Technology Evaluation Center
• Duke University1
• ECRI1
• Johns Hopkins University
• McMaster University
• Oregon Health & Science University2
• RTI International—University of North Carolina
• Southern California
• Stanford University—University of California, San Francisco
• Tufts University—New England Medical Center1
• University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
• University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
• University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
1 EPCs that focus on technology assessments for CMS.
2 EPC that focuses on evidence reports for the USPSTF.

For contacts and additional information about the current participating EPCs, go to: http://www..ahrq.gov...c/epcenters.htm.

One or two studies, no matter how well they may be conducted, are merely one or two data points in the data pool.

Anyways, back onto the topic at hand -- a report claimed:

Actually (I've got the full paper in front of me now):

No differences were seen in the primary end point by randomized vitamin E assignment (RR, 0.94; 95% CI, 0.85-1.04 [P = .23]) (Table 2 and Figure 2), with no significant variation in the relative risk over time. We found a nonsignificant 16% reduction in total stroke, with a 21% reduction in ischemic stroke (P = .06) and an increase in hemorrhagic stroke based on small numbers. There was an overall 10% reduction in the combination of MI, stroke, and CVD death, with a nonsignificant decrease (P = .08) in benefit over time. No difference in total mortality by vitamin E group was found.

So it seems these are non-significant reductions (i.e. what that may mean is they could be determined by chance). However, the bottom line is in bold above -- usually stroke is the cause of death -- and no difference in mortality was found.

However, you also may note:

Censoring participants on noncompliance led to a significant 13% reduction in the primary end point (RR, 0.87; 95% CI, 0.76-0.99 [P = .04]).

The author of that news report seemed to leave out a 14% increase in CVD mortality from beta carotene in this study (an interesting selective focus ;) ): However, no difference in total mortality.

BETA CAROTENE
There was a nonsignificant 14% increase in CVD mortality in the active group, with a significant decline over time in the effect on CVD deaths (P = .04) but no difference in total mortality. When participants were censored on noncompliance, the effect on the primary end point remained nonsignificant (RR for major vascular disease, 1.09; 95% CI, 0.96-1.24 [P = .18]), but an increase in CVD mortality appeared to emerge (RR, 1.48; 95% CI, 1.08-2.02 [P = .02]).

Once again, when censored on noncompliance (i.e. I guess the subjects were asked "did you follow the study rules?"), an INCREASE in CVD mortality appeared to emerge.

Finally:

COMBINATIONS OF ANTIOXIDANTS

There were no significant 2- or 3-way interactions among the agents for the primary end point. The effects for each of the combinations of active agents compared with the group with all 3 placebos is shown in Figure 3. [b]There were also no interactions for the secondary end points of MI or cardiovascular death. For stroke, we found a significant 2-way interaction between ascorbic acid and vitamin E (P = .03). Those in the active groups for both agents experienced fewer strokes compared with those in the placebo group for both agents (RR, 0.69; 95% CI, 0.49-0.98 [P = .04]) (Figure 3).

I might suggest a remedial on what primary endpoints mean in research; I could probably use one myself.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not a doctor.

However, let's take a quick look at the comment from the full text:

[b]In this large-scale randomized trial among women at high risk for CVD, we found no overall effects of vitamin E, ascorbic acid, or beta carotene on the primary end point of major vascular disease over a long-term follow-up of more than 9 years. These null results are consistent with the majority of trials of these antioxidants in both primary and secondary prevention. When combinations of agents were examined, there were no significant interactions, except for a possible reduction in stroke among those taking both active ascorbic acid and active vitamin E. In contrast to a recent meta-analysis of antioxidant supplements,16 we found no detrimental effects of any of these agents on total or CVD mortality.

So it seems the only significant element that we know now that we didn't already know from the abstract was "a possible reduction in stroke among those taking both active ascorbic acid and active vitamin E."

Further thoughts or comments?

Take care.

Edited by adam_kamil, 15 August 2007 - 07:47 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 markymark

• 188 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

"Censoring" meant: "controlling for individuals who stopped taking at least two thirds of their study medication, taking outside supplementation, or were missing compliance information".

The results are at odds (as far it concerns women) with the recent meta analyses of Miller et al. (Vitamin E) and also with Bjelakovic et al., both highly disputable studies.

the vitamin E subgroup findings in the Archives study are worth to be looked at. This, what a surprise, does not happen in the mainstream media.
If, on the other hand this subgroup analyses would have brought about untowart effects for vitamin E, be shure having been found similar press articles as have been published in the aftermath of the Miller analysis in 2005. In the latter negative results for Vitamin E were only seen after the data were tailored by the authors ......

Well, furher Thoughts or comments?

regs. from a fellow layman and MD, Internist, who has spent 10 years in a university research environment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users