Photo
- - - - -

Fish Oil Supplements

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nofool

• 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:32 PM

Fish Oil Supplements: Is The Brand You're Taking Safe?

The public is increasingly turning to fish oil supplements as a source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. But which major U.S. producers of fish oil supplements purify their products to reduce or remove contaminants like mercury and dioxins?

Environmental Defense solicited information from 54 companies (more details on the criteria we used to evaluate companies and our results). Their responses indicate that the majority are purifying their fish oils to meet stringent safety standards. (More on seafood and health.)

#2 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:17 AM

They don't list Trader Joe's. It is claimed on the bottle that it's molecularly distilled. Appears to be about the best price I can find and it's got the 320/200 mg ratio of EPA/DHA per capsule I find to be nice, requiring less capsules than many for the amount I want to take, 12 per day.

The Cosco brand (Kirkland) is cheap but would require twice as many to get what I figure is good for me. There is no statement on their bottle either about molecular distillation or pharmaceutical grade.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:55 AM

Whoops looks like he's been banned already, thanks Elrond :)

#4 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

The Cosco brand (Kirkland) is cheap but would require twice as many to get what I figure is good for me.  There is no statement on their bottle either about molecular distillation or pharmaceutical grade.

More like 50% more pills. What's the cost per pill of your Trader Joe's pills?

#5 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:18 AM

$6 per 90 caps equals about 7 cents each

#6 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:43 PM

oops, actually they are $8 per bottle and tax on top of that, about $8.50 per bottle or 9.5 cents each.

#7 cesium

• 138 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:25 AM

I was glad to see that Wal-Mart made the "best choices" category - sometimes in a pinch I buy from them.

#8 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:20 PM

Yuck. After seeing the Southpark and learning more of Walmart from various sources, I've stopped shopping there.

I recently ordered Super Omega-3 via a sale at http://www.puritansale.com for less than half the price of the Trader Joes fish oil caps. I ordered ten bottles of 180 caps which should be enough for about 6 months. I should order some more. They told me over the phone that the shelf life is about a year.

#9 cesium

• 138 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

They told me over the phone that the shelf life is about a year.

I've always wondered about that and have always refrigerated mine as soon as I got them. The prices do look decent at puritan pride, maybe I will give them a try.

#10 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

Why is this thread running twice in different forums? ( http://www.imminst.o...f=169&t=6157&s= )

~Infernity

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:56 AM

Why is this thread running twice in different forums? ( http://www.imminst.o...f=169&t=6157&s= )

~Infernity

because it was started as spam.

there have been a few worthwhile posts following the original, so I've kept the threads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users