Photo
- - - - -

MultiVitamin

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 styrofoamned

• 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:04 PM

Do I need to get a specific type of multi or can I use a basic "centrum" style vitamin morning and night?

#2 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

this should be posted under supplements

short answer: centrum is crap. There are many things to look for in a multiple vitamin. I use Orthocore made by AOR. You should look on AOR's site to see why they included each ingredient and in the amount they did. It is extremely expensive. Other people use the LEF multi. There are a few others that are far and away better than centrum, but they will probably all cost more.
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

I'll vote for AOR Ortho Core no matter what your budget. Save by buying three 270-pill bottles at a time, and take what you can afford, be that 3 a day, 6 a day, or the full 9. Don't feel bad about taking less than 9, I personally take 6. I'd take 9 if it were significantly cheaper but it ain't so I don't.

#4 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:29 PM

AOR's ortho core is fine, but I would supplement with additional B vitamins. It doesn't really have optimal levels even when taking all 9 pills.

I wish they would make it like they do the essential mix where you can just use a scoop full.

#5 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

Which B-vitamin supplements do you use?

#6 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:13 PM

I take two of LEF's B-Complex on top of Ortho-Core to increase Vitamin B intake.

#7 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:27 PM

I take NOW Foods ADAM multivit, good cost/quality ratio

#8 styrofoamned

• Topic Starter
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:39 PM

Thanks guys. Sorry for posting in the wrong area.
I had been just taking 3 centrum type things a day along
with all the vitamins I get in my meal replacements.
I'll try out your suggestions!

Do those vitamins have a fiber source? Should that be something to take too?

#9 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:07 AM

Don't overdose on fat soluble vitamins

Vitamins - fiber source?

#10 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:26 AM

For all their high quality supplements, it seems like AOR's OrthoCore and OrthoMind products have serious gaps in them. The amount of B-vitamins in OrthoCore is one. It has also been pointed out that the amount of Vitamin E is a bit low. I don't know if there is a specific reason for this: my copy of AOR's Advances states that "overdose pitfalls [are] scrupulously avoided." So you see things like zinc present in 11mg amounts (for their individual zinc product, which also includes copper, AOR states the dosage as 1 capsule per day). It could be that there is some reason for not getting too much vitamin E; however, that seems unlikely as Total E has much more vitamin E than OrthoCore with a recommended dosage of 1 softgel per day; the label adds that "An extra capsule should be taken for each 200 IU of alpha-tocopherol in any other supplements you may be taking." So it seems that more vitamin E cannot be so bad (gamme tocopherol has a variety of beneficial effects).

To their credit, I did ask in an e-mail to AOR why the level of a specific B vitamin (I think it was riboflavin) was so low, and the customer service rep advised that it was because the formula was full already, and adding more of the individual ingredients would mean taking more pills, which would mean inconvenience and expense. AOR has gone on a different path that LEF, avoiding the shotgun approach to instead focus on key nutraceuticals. You do get a very good dose or chlorophyllin in OrthoCore, plus the brassica vegetable complex and the Phase II liver detox ramper-uppers.

As far as OrthoCore, the RLA and ALCAR will likely instantly polymerize in the stomach. AORsupport says that this problem will soon be remedied, but in my mind they have not adequately addressed the issue of polymerization for right now for people who are already taking the supplement.

Edited by dantecubit, 13 September 2005 - 08:48 PM.

#11 psychenaut

• Life Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:52 PM

We added LEF's B-Complex for those wishing to use it.

As far as OrthoCore, the RLA and ALCAR will likely instantly polymerize in the stomach. AORsupport says that this problem will soon be remedied, but in my mind they have not adequately addressed the issue of polymerization for right now for people who are already taking the supplement

I think you meant Ortho-Mind Dante, Core doesn't contain R or ALCAR. This thread began about vitamins and not cognitive enhancement formulas, as Ortho-Mind is, but let me mention that ALCAR does not polymerize. R-Lipoic, depending on what form is used, is subject to polymerization problems. I have addressed questions about Ortho-Mind in a separate thread and will not repeat them here.

AOR chose to take a different route in formulating Core, and decided to be conservative rather than mega-dose as is sometimes done. The consumer is welcome to decide which route he or she prefers, that is why we offer the LEF Multi also. Intelligent people can disagree (certainly so on formulation) and we have to decide what suits us personally.

I can use anything I like but use Ortho-Core until I am shown a better alternative.

Cheers-
Pete

#12 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:25 PM

Life Enhancement's BioEnhance and VRP's
Optimum Silver are pretty good multis
for their value.

Kal's Enhanced Energy is also very cost-effective,
and I give it to my brother.

Now's ADAM is also a good buy as mentioned by Da_sense
above.

#13 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:01 AM

I'm aware of many in whom cost is a substantial factor in purchasing their multivitamin. I've been looking for a way to pare down my supplement budget (the last couple of quarters at school have drained me) and decided one day to froogle.google.com AOR Ortho Core, which is my preferred multivitamin. I suggest others do the same. As of this writing, the lowest price I could find was $36.77.

http://store.agoodvi...aoror270ca.html

I believe I ordered their last three in stock, however. :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 ahnenerbe

• 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:58 AM

I'll vote for AOR Ortho Core no matter what your budget. Save by buying three 270-pill bottles at a time, and take what you can afford, be that 3 a day, 6 a day, or the full 9. Don't feel bad about taking less than 9, I personally take 6. I'd take 9 if it were significantly cheaper but it ain't so I don't.

Where do you get this discount for 3 bottles at a time..?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users