Richard W. Samson - Enova

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:43 AM

Chat Topic: Becoming More Self-Aware
Richard W. Samson, Consultant, author and director of EraNova, an organization with the mission to help people become more self-aware for increased effectiveness, joins ImmInst for an online chat.

Chat Time: Sunday Apr 18, 2004 @ 8 PM Eastern [Time Zone Help]

Chat Room: http://www.imminst.org/chat
or, Server: irc.lucifer.com - Port: 6667 - #immortal

Posted Image
Richard W. Samson

Reference:
http://www.eranova.com/resources.htm

Mind Over Technology: Coming Out on Top as a Wired World Starts to run on Automatic. A trade book offering guidelines for riding the information-age tsunami instead of being swamped by it. See news release about Mind Over Technology (working title, "The Human Edge"). Read an excerpt

#2 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:37 AM

<BJKlein> Thanks for joining us, Dick!
<Dick> Great to be here! My site is www.eranova.com Just posted some info that might be of interest during dull moments.
<BJKlein> Looks as if you're busy these days... how much are you traveling now?
<Dick> Little, except cyber.
<BJKlein> doing mostly online consulting?
<Dick> Mosting finishing my book MIND OVER TECHNOLOGY, now done, and working with press.
*** Joins: Nanogirl (~Nanogirl@c-24-18-190-183.client.comcast.net)
<BJKlein> http://www.eranova.c...ogy_excerpt.htm
<Dick> There's also a new "tour" on the home page, www.eranova.com
<BJKlein> looks like an essential book in todays world...
<BJKlein> what was your main reason for creating it?
<TimFreeman> Can you give examples of how self-awareness can make a practical difference?
<TimFreeman> If I'm self-aware and I work too long one one thing, I'm still too tired to continue, for example.
<TimFreeman> Well, for non-example. Ugh, what mangled rhetoric.
*** Joins: eclecticdreamer (forti2de@c-66-41-106-197.mn.client2.attbi.com)
*** Joins: cyborg01 (~y.k.y@147.4.225.217)
<eclecticdreamer> :)
<eclecticdreamer> hello
<Dick> Yes.... A few years ago, gave "mental exercise" to IBM execs., producing solutions that otherwise took 75 years.
*** Joins: planetp (~psiphius@24-176-176-158.cs-cres.charterpipeline.net)
<eclecticdreamer> greetings Kevin & Paul :O)
<planetp> greetings.
<eclecticdreamer> :Op
<th3hegem0n> "mental exercise"?
<kevin> hi all.. :)
<Nanogirl> Allo`
<Dick> Yes, actually a problem posed, with an open-ended process based on self-awareness of one's mental processes.
<BJKlein> Dick = Richard W. Samson, Consultant, author and director of EraNova http://www.eranova.com/
<eclecticdreamer> Dick... uhm... what?!
<eclecticdreamer> :p
<BJKlein> eclecticdreamer, please refrain
<th3hegem0n> hehe
<BJKlein> thanks
<eclecticdreamer> oh. :)
<eclecticdreamer> excuse me :>
<BJKlein> let's allow our guest time, thanks
<BJKlein> see: http://www.imminst.o...&f=63&t=3350&s=
<Dick> Here's a sample question. Imagine many years ago, DP punched cards getting frayed at corners, causing card jams. Took IBM & others 75 years to come up with a fix, without benefit of "self-awareness"
<BJKlein> DP = data processors?
<Dick> The question I posed managers in training was "what would you do about the card-jamming problem?"
<Dick> Data cards are ancient history, but good for case studies to test one's thinking.
<Dick> yes DB = data processing
<TimFreeman> Well, lots of ideas come to mind: chop off the corners; use plastic instead of paper cards; detect a partially frayed card, and print a replacement before the machine jams; stop using the cards and switch to magnetic media. ...
<TimFreeman> But I don't see the role of self-awareness in this process yet.
<Dick> Here is it: It took the groups of managers in training only about 5 minutes to think of several good solutions ... while people in the real situation took 75 years. Focused questioning, thinking how to think makes the difference in time & quality.
<Dick> Tim: your solutions are GREAT examples of the value of self-awareness or thinking how to think ... focusing intentionally on an issue brings a flood of results.
<TimFreeman> So in this case the role of self-awareness was to identify the issue, perhaps?
<kevin> Dick.. focusing on a problem can bring many ideas.. but getting things implemented is the more difficult aspect of the process of problem solving in my experience, especially with groups of individuals.
<kevin> ... which I guess is related to why it took 75 years for the problem to be solved.
<th3hegem0n> I agree kevin
<Dick> Kevin, yest ... it's easier to come up with ideas than to immediately make any idea come to fruition.... Self-awareness is also the best tool for making things happen, always in a cycle of thought, action results, new thourhgt, new action, new result
<BJKlein> It seems the current environment of data saturation (TV, Radio, Print, Internet, etc) makes it harder for humans to think in the 'self-awareness' mode because we’re occupied by the data rather than allowing ourselves to see the bigger picture.
<BJKlein> I see this as a stumbling block toward immortalist thinking as well...
<BJKlein> by the way, Dick, how long do you wish to live?
<Dick> Media is making a mush of thinking in many cases ... calling for even greater self-control of one's own awareness.
<Dick> I think of myself right now as "forever" ...
<eclecticdreamer> forever?
<eclecticdreamer> :O)
<BJKlein> can you give the main reason why you wish to live forever?
<BJKlein> or do you mean you think, as in consider yourself "forever"
<BJKlein> as in a noun rather than an adj.
<Dick> It's a delight to be alive ... and a constant process of discoving who "I" am, and how my consciousness may relate to that of others, or whether there might be some overlap.
<kevin> I enjoy living in the moment as well Dick... the immediate experience of being alive is one that I want to continue :)
<eclecticdreamer> Dick, have you considered that perhaps we are disconnected people seeking out true nature of our being, connecting information that was previously disconnected & allowing us more freedom of our wills? :)
<eclecticdreamer> erm.. a bit long winded :p
<Dick> Yes! An unending series of "right nows" ... with continuity as well as the freshness of discovery ... that would be well worth a long existence!
<BJKlein> would you go so far as to say that death = oblivion?
<Dick> If death is oblivion, then it can't be experienced and is timeless; that is, true oblivion occupies no time. Therefor, it doesn't exist in any experienceable sense.
*** Joins: John_Ventureville (~John_Vent@24-116-21-4.cpe.cableone.net)
<John_Ventureville> hello, everyone
<Dick> Hi, John
<BJKlein> welcome john.. please see: http://www.imminst.o...&f=63&t=3350&s=
<planetp> Dick, are you saying that an experience of timelessness is impossible?
<John_Ventureville> ok
<Dick> Yes ... the nearest we can come to experiencing a billion years of non-existence would be to snap our fingers infinetely fast.
<planetp> I have to disagree with you on this, as I personally know of at least a dozen people who have experience timelessness while on psychedelics, and hundreds more I don't know, who have reported this experience.
<BJKlein> Dick, do you have thougts on how soon we'll see smart-than-human technologies?
<th3hegem0n> ..lol
<planetp> :)
<eclecticdreamer> Paul, have you experienced this timelessness too? :O)
<planetp> yes
* eclecticdreamer wishes i could as well :p
<Dick> No argument. We're using, I think, different senses of the word "timeless." I'm thinking of it in connection with spacelessness, & the absense of everything else.
<planetp> ok, fair enough. :)
<planetp> Yes, in that context, I understand you.
<eclecticdreamer> The rational excitement to discover greater meaning thru our inner experience as we grow closer & closer to the inner experiences of others.. that is liberating ~:)
<Dick> Bruce, I think it will be a LONG time before computers gain reflective consciousness, or self-awareness. In logical deduction, etc, I'd say w'll sell outperformance of humans in 50 years, maybe less.
<Dick> Ecelctricdreamer, I like your name ... and resonate with your sense of inner experience that might be shared, bringing greater closeness, or "common consciousness" even.
<John_Ventureville> I'm late at this chat because of the "timelessness" of my last two hours, I was so busy with work & people approaching me that my sense of time told me at the most maybe 20 minutes had passed!
<Dick> :-)
<John_Ventureville> as the old saying goes, "when you are very busy time goes by quickly, but when you are bored it goes by grindingly slowly"
<BJKlein> Dick, how did you come the consulting position you are in now?
<bio`hurt`afk> planetp can u redound?
<Dick> Actually, an interest in immortality! Did a paper on it, showed it to a professor ... later because his student & assostant.
<BJKlein> excellent.. physical immortality?
<John_Ventureville> wow
<Dick> Immortality study wasn't "practical," so I tabled it, moved into semantics, higher eduction, then business management training, etc.
<BJKlein> today, would you table such a paper again?
<Dick> Yes, physical immortality ...
<John_Ventureville> would you consider signing up for cryonics?
<kevin> How long do you think it will take before science is able to reverse aging Dick?
<Dick> Yes or no .... would depend on interest of publishers, and how much plugging necessary to get any interest.
<BJKlein> heh, ImmInst will be publishing a second book.. keep us in mind.
<Dick> Aging might be reversed within 20-30 years if we put a priority on it.... Cryonics, depend on from what angle.
<Dick> Good, Bruce ... let's keep in touch on this.
<BJKlein> sure thing.. our first book "The Scientific Conquest of Death: Essay on Infinite Lifespans" will be out in about 5 weeks
<planetp> Bruce, have you thought of a theme for the second book?
<BJKlein> haven't yet..
<BJKlein> will consists of essays though
<cyborg01> How many copies will be printed for the first book?
<Dick> Thanks, Bruce ...All ... what do you think of the relationwhip between (a) computers getting smarter, (b) people getting more aware, and © immortality of consciousness?
<BJKlein> cyborg01, the book will be print on demand
<cyborg01> OK.. congrats, BJK
<TimFreeman> I find that certain emotions cause me to be incapable of self-awareness. If I get angry or depressed, I can't be aware for a few hours afterward. What can be done to create more of the required mental states for for ...
<TimFreeman> self-awareness?
<planetp> Wow, big question. Nanotechnology will blend software, hardware, and wetware - giving us immortality as well as full symbiosis with computational thinking = more self-awareness.
<BJKlein> ding.. TimFreeman is the winner! heh
<planetp> lol
<Dick> Everything seems to contribute: enought sleep (including vacation from awareness), good nutrition, exercise, social interaction & humor, positive spirit, skillof self-reflection (emotional as well as sensory and logical)
<planetp> Tim - Maslow's hierarchy of needs. The way to more self-awareness begins with more emotional awareness in my opinion.
<planetp> Dick, agreed!
<Dick> <planetp> Tim - Maslow's hierarchy of needs. The way to more self-awareness begins with more emotional awareness in my opinion.
<kevin> Consciousness is immortal and built into the physics of the universe.. .(ours anyways).
<John_Ventureville> Dick, just how vital is a good night's sleep?
<eclecticdreamer> emotion is human desire to understand its nature of being, to overcome the laws that restrictions its degree of freedom
<John_Ventureville> how many hours does a "typical" person need?
<eclecticdreamer> restrict rather :)
<Dick> planetp, nanotech etc. another factor adding to "better people" ... or people replacements.
<planetp> well, there was a recent study that said 8 hours of good sleep increases intelligence and creativity.
<John_Ventureville> an acting professor once told me you need a solid 7-8 so the brain can process & encode memory
<Dick> Enough sleep is one thing. Another is the quality of consciousness during sleep. I've been experimenting with "lucid dreaming."
<BJKlein> ah, i've wanted to do that as well.. how is lucid dreaming?
<John_Ventureville> I remember buying a "nova dreamer" for $400 about ten years ago
<planetp> Yes, lucid dreaming! I find when I have vivid lucid dreams, I feel fantastic for days - more intelligence, creativity, peace of mind.
<John_Ventureville> did not have too much luck with it
<kevin> Consciousness and self-awareness is a continuum.. and a combination of information processing capability with algorithms of self-reflection. Computers are not yet capable of self-reflection.. that we know of but have the information processing capability pretty much in hand.
<John_Ventureville> I tend to sleep like the dead
<TimFreeman> planetp: What do you do to induce the lucid dreams?
<Dick> Lucid dreaming is analog of self-awarness during waking ... some people "sleep" thjough they're awake.
<eclecticdreamer> Kevin, what about the imagination-engines.com you cited here before, are those networks conscious? ;)
<John_Ventureville> but now the $1,200 model of a decade ago costs only $400
<eclecticdreamer> probably not something we can answer :)
<planetp> I've been having them most of my life, but a good start, is to ask yourself many times throughout the day, if you are dreaming, and when you ask yourself, actually look around for clues.
<planetp> Try going here also: http://lucidity.org/
<planetp> woops - i mean http://lucidity.com/
<kevin> ecelctic.. I personally think that it could be the beginnings of a low level of self-awareness that when coupled with information retrieval might bring about sentience.. I got very excited when I read about that site..
<Dick> When I'm able to dream lucidly, it's fun ... and also practical!
<eclecticdreamer> Me too, esp. when I learned it from you ;)
*** Joins: Ge (~Ge@ACAD31D6.ipt.aol.com)
<planetp> Dick, yes. I solve many problems - not just mundane ones, but deep nagging existential ones as well.
<planetp> Nowadays, lucid dreaming and dream flying are synomonous with me.
<Dick> Dreaming is behind waking consc. in evolution ... mostly just awareness, not self-awareness.
<John_Ventureville> my dreams of flying disturb me
<planetp> for me the flying always = extreme freedom, bliss and pleasure
<eclecticdreamer> Paul, are there special techniques for invoking lucid dreams? :O)
<Dick> I find that fear leave a dream once it becomes lucid. I know I'm "only dreaming."
<kevin> half the time I think I'm living in a dream.. does that count?
<planetp> there are lots, please see my comment about 12 lines up
<eclecticdreamer> heh. yep, I sometimes think I'm living in a dream too :p
<kevin> I only am aware of my dreaming just before I wake up in the morning.. and if I just lay there.. other than that I never remember my dreams.. although when I was younger I used to..
<Dick> Kevin, the only way I know a dream is lucid is if I say to myself during the dream, "I'm dreaming."
<planetp> Kevin, yes, Dick is right, also a prerequisite skill is to practice remembering your dreams. Start with a dream journal.
<John_Ventureville> in my dreams I must concentrate very hard with my arms behind me, & tensing my muscles to keep from losing altitude and crashing
<kevin> I've experienced lucid dreaming but am envious of those who experience it as a regular phenomenon rather than the occasional foray.
<planetp> John, yes, this is a self-limiting belief. I used to have to do that too, nowadays, I don't need a body.
<John_Ventureville> and log the dream down as soon as possible, memories of dreams tend to fade quickly
<planetp> yes
<BJKlein> (off the wall question) Dick have you come across the idea of a Technological Singularity yet
<John_Ventureville> lol
<Dick> I believe our objective as people should be to become more conscious & responsible (and therefor powerful, for good) ... Dreaming can be part of that.... Immortality is the extension of a "good person's" evolution.
<eclecticdreamer> I think a big reason we have divisions of mind & separate beliefs is our highly ambiguous way we represent experienced phenomena, & the identifiers & descriptions we give them lose a great deal of information of the actual phenomena
<eclecticdreamer> the identifier also influences the interaction & behavior of the observed phenomena
<kevin> very much so.. I often can't remember what the heck I was dreaming of a couple of minutes after I wake up.. quite disconcerting.. but as I'm forgetting people's names a lot these days.. its becoming a more familiar experience.
*** Joins: deego (deego@66.168.196.180)
<Dick> Bruce, could you explain technological singularity?
<eclecticdreamer> such as the human consciousness - our names influencing our mind is not a local phenomena dependent on just humans..
<eclecticdreamer> even smaller conscious phenomena is influenced
<eclecticdreamer> for observable phenomena to exist at all, they both must possess at least some identifiers of each
<BJKlein> the way i like to descrive the technological singularity is the point when AI advances beyond human level intelligence and has the ability to improve upon its source code in a way that it keeps advancing.. nearing the speed of light
<John_Ventureville> and away it goes!!
<Dick> Bruce, I hope that doesn't happen before we "perfect ourselves" as humans, or at least master the next level.
<John_Ventureville> Dick, your comment is similar to my own thinking
<planetp> Dick, I would describe a singularity as the point when intelligence, either human augmented or artificial has the ability to increase its intelligence even further, setting in motion a bootstrapping effect, more intelligence to increase intellignce yielding more intellignce to incease, etc, accelerating in a rapidly exponential fashion.
<Dick> It would be a serious mistake, I believe, to try to make intelligent machines before we better understand and master our own consciousness.
<John_Ventureville> though I think these self-aware machines may actually be what bootstraps us to the level you are wanting us to reach
<BJKlein> heh, seems humans are good at making serious mistakes
<planetp> so are computers!
<John_Ventureville> one matter of contention is to what extent A.I. will be similar to humans
<planetp> Ask anyone who's had a porblem with their phone bill.
<BJKlein> but if the singuality goes wrong.. we're, umm.. screwed
<Dick> Machines could be our new "kids" -- smarter & better than us.... but I'm dubious ... given the "technogreed" of the industrial creators.
<John_Ventureville> in terms of emotions, motivations, mistrust, violence, etc.
<BJKlein> john, it seems there is not cap on how intelligent an entity can become, is there?
<planetp> According to current physical models there is a limit, it's called the Berkenstein Bound.
<John_Ventureville> Dick, I see a superfast self-improving A.I. as quickly going from child role to parent!!
<Dick> AI, like the Internet, could start with pure motives .... then, the equivalent of worms, cyber attacks, identity theft ...
<BJKlein> evolution is an example of incrementaly increasing intellignece over time with genetics.. we're doing it much faster with source code (AI)
<eclecticdreamer> Dick, I definitely agree we should seek to understand the deeper nature of ourselves & how our perspective of reality is governed..
<Dick> Yes, AI kids could become parents, or masters, or ... out-of-control tools of a greedy few
<eclecticdreamer> an important influence being our names (identifiers)
<BJKlein> we're coming up on the end of the official chat.. but, Dick, feel free to stay with us as long as you wish.
<planetp> But it's my hypothesis, that by the time intelligence is a few billion times more intelligent than a human, it will figure out a way aroudn the Berkenstein Bound.
<John_Ventureville> in one of my "future lives" I want to be an exo-archeologist who studies the remains of alien civilizations who had "blow up in your face" singularities
<eclecticdreamer> Dick, are you aware that our names influence our personality?
<John_Ventureville> planetp, you would think so
<eclecticdreamer> ie - interaction & perspective of reality?
<planetp> Dick, you might find my site interesting as it makes consciosuness and self-awareness a vital and central theme in our advancement. Here is the link: http://futurehi.net/
<Dick> elec.... Yes ... interesting!
<Dick> Thanks, planetp
<eclecticdreamer> Dick, www.kabalarians.com :)
* BJKlein Official Chat Ends
<eclecticdreamer> input the name you most commonly identify by, & you should probably see a parallel ;)
<Dick> Got it, eclectic...
<planetp> Dick, it was a real pleasure... I plan on purchasing your new book, its right up my alley!!
<eclecticdreamer> great! :O)
<Dick> Great, planetp, please write me once you read it! ... www.eranova.com ... or dicksamson@bigplanet.com
<John_Ventureville> Dick, could you tell me more about DARE? I'm new to the management game and need all the help I can get.
<TimFreeman> So is there anything to do to increase emotional awareness? When people ask me about my emotions I often find I'm not interested enough in my own emotions to speak about them meaningfully.
<planetp> Dick, I will!
<kevin> Pleasure here as well Dick.
<John_Ventureville> I did the best speedreading job I could of your site over the last half hour.
<Dick> DARE, John, is a basic mental model ... for becoming more aware of and managing emotion, perception, thought, action. The acronym DARE may be replaced by any term, picture, etc. you like, to remind you to better use the tools you naturally come iwth.
<John_Ventureville> so it would help with anger management?
<eclecticdreamer> John, for a moment give up expectations ;)
<John_Ventureville> lol
<John_Ventureville> be a good Buddhist?
<eclecticdreamer> but at the same time try to diligently seek truth
<Dick> Tim, emotional awareness a real challenge, esp. for men. Naming feelings to myself (yourself), and releasing them thru talking, exercise or sport ... etc. the best available approaches.... We are almost basket cases emotionally, much more advanced in logic & action ... but these hampered by primitive awareness of & control of feelings
<planetp> John, in my future life I want to study ancient civilizations in the 100 years leading up to their SUCCESSFUL singularity, to better undestand what works. Or better to be a comparative singularity paleontologist, to understnad the whole continuum of singularities.
<Dick> John, yes ... DARE or any mental model will help with anger management. Will also help in BRINGING OUT anger, in non-hurtful ways.
<John_Ventureville> excellent
<John_Ventureville> so the program is just $20?
<kevin> Tim.. clues to what harmonizes with your emotions might be in the literature and movies you enjoy.. and perhaps those 'special' memories of childhood which we all have.. both good and bad might be indicative of areas that could use further investigation
<TimFreeman> I find that my emotions are generally fairly simple, and I like it that way. Some people have very complex feelings and as a consequence they seem to have a difficult time making decisions. I can't tell if my emotions ...
<TimFreeman> really are simple, or if I'm just not aware of them.
<Dick> John, yes, in the downloadable form, mp3.
<TimFreeman> Dick: Where's this mp3?
<TimFreeman> Ah. Found it at http://www.eranova.com/resources.htm
<Dick> Tim, there's a sample at www.eranova.com/order.htm ... with a link to order.
<Dick> Good, it's in both places.
*** Joins: outlawpoet (~Justin@c-24-126-243-246.we.client2.attbi.com)
<BJKlein> outlawpoet.. where ya been?
<Dick> Bruce, I really like the group of people you've brought together! Forward-thinking, creative, inquisitive ... very alive!
<outlawpoet> ugh
<eclecticdreamer> =O)
<John_Ventureville> BJ has done a great job
<TimFreeman> Dick: I'm confused about whether your mind over technology book is really available yet. The web site says it's available at Amazon etc., but here you said you're dealing with the press for it now. Did you mean promoting it ...
<TimFreeman> or printing copies?
* eclecticdreamer checks my pulse hearing the rhythm of many hearts beat as one ~<:3
<BJKlein> Thank Dick, but I'm just a bot
<eclecticdreamer> heh.. in my dreams:p
<Dick> Tim, yes MOT is available now. Dealing with the press, I'm trying to get greater exposure for the basic issue & solutions.
* BJKlein has not free will
* kevin pokes BJ's ego to see if it is still alive..
<outlawpoet> at least you recognize shortenings of your name, BJ.
* BJKlein puffs up
<eclecticdreamer> Bruce, has free will in as much as he desires to beyond his older limits ;)
* kevin breathes a sigh of relief
<John_Ventureville> *John gets out a big needle and pokes BJ with it!*
<TimFreeman> Got the DARE excerpt and am listening to it now.
* BJKlein flips on MTV
<planetp> For those who don't think they have free will, I think its a matter of relativity. Bruce, try reading John Lilly's: Programming & Metaprogramming in the Humn Biocomputer.
<Dick> Good, Tim
<John_Ventureville> Dick, how often do you get out to Arizona?
<eclecticdreamer> Paul, I definitely think we all have a degree of free will
<BJKlein> planetp, i'd be happy to read your thoughts on free will as well..
<eclecticdreamer> earlier, I doubted this for a long time..
<bio`hurt`> planetp me 2 :]
<Dick> John, haven't been to Arizona in years, unfortunately.
<John_Ventureville> ok
<bio`hurt`> this is theme of gr8 importance.. imo
<kevin> Dick I know there a lot of variables involved.. but are you optimistic about the chances of humanity to work through this level and our propensity for wanting to hit each other on the head?
<Dick> John, do you get to NJ or NYC?
<John_Ventureville> not in ages!
<John_Ventureville> but my father does live in NYC
<John_Ventureville> I hope to visit him next year
<planetp> The first step in gaining more free will is to be acknowledge that 99% of who we are is robotically programmed.
<Dick> Kevin, I think we've got a better than 50-50 chance to "make it" ... based on creativity & life force that keep welling up.
<planetp> Those who realize they are overwhleming robots, will have more free will, than those who think they are 50% or more free.
<Dick> Planetp, yes ... knowing how we're controlled is the start of freedom.
<planetp> Almost everything we are is programmed neural patterns - wither from neurological imprinting, genetics, or conditioning.
<eclecticdreamer> Paul, don't put numbers into free will ;)
<planetp> Dick, agreed! :)
<planetp> I'm only using number poetically. lol
<eclecticdreamer> heh ok
<BJKlein> admit it, Paul.. we're up the creek, man
<eclecticdreamer> I think the inner experience of consciousness can alter reality, its thoughts are what makes physical reality come into form
<eclecticdreamer> and consciousness is spiritual in nature, independent of logical explanation
<Dick> ec... yes!
<eclecticdreamer> in a sense, "God"
<kevin> Paul.. we ARE an algorithm..
<planetp> up the creek? You mean 100% programmed, and therefore absolutely helpless in changing it???
<kevin> and as such must operate within those parameters..
<BJKlein> as your joys and your sorrows, your memories and your ambitions, your sense of personal identity and free will, are in fact no more than the behavior of a vast assembly of nerve cells and their associated molecules."
<BJKlein> who said it?
<Dick> What do you think of the statement, "Consciousness is always me?"
<planetp> Yes, "we" are, but what about the "you" who can re-program the algorithms????? heh, yes, yes???
<kevin> but we are SELF-MODIFYING.. and perhaps at the end of it all.. the self-modification is truly random..
<eclecticdreamer> Francis Prick :O?
<eclecticdreamer> erm :p
<John_Ventureville> I want to download into the brain of everyone here the many countless threads on the extropian list regarding this very topic!
<BJKlein> minus 10 to eclecticdreamer
<planetp> yes, John, I'm well aware of many of those.
<eclecticdreamer> hey, no fair :O(
<John_Ventureville> planetp, so you are a battlescarred veteran of the extrolist
<kevin> *chuckle*.. the day will come JV..
<John_Ventureville> lol
<John_Ventureville> kevin, I can't wait
<planetp> John, oh yeah! Battlescared, damaged, recovevered, war veteran...LMAO!
<John_Ventureville> : )
<planetp> Was onthe list from 1995-2000
<BJKlein> you know guys.. we're just a buch of hairless apes!!
<planetp> subsrribed to the zine back in 1991.
<John_Ventureville> *Max and Natasha should at least pay for your psychological counseling due to your experiences*
<planetp> Bruce, that's domesticated primate mister.
<planetp> LMAO!!!!
<kevin> HAIRLESS.. ~!!??? speak for yourself
<planetp> Actually, Daniel Lee Crocker and Michael Lorrey should pay!!
* BJKlein scratches his head
* bio`hurt` guesses 4am is pretty right time 4 bed.. thank u all guys
<kevin> I prefer the phrase 'fish with legs'
<eclecticdreamer> esp. if your pisces :p
* BJKlein goes over and humps the couch
<planetp> lol
<kevin> LOL
<John_Ventureville> BJ, speak for yourself, I was created by our elder space brothers I learned about on the Art Bell show
<eclecticdreamer> heh
<bio`hurt`> John_Ventureville u sound like a raelian.
<kevin> JV.. you were told never to real your true origins
<John_Ventureville> the truth is out now!
<Dick> Bruce, all ... I'm about to go and "chat" (live) with my wife, Suzanne..... THANK YOU for your hospitality, conviviality, & intelligence. Let's keep in touch; ImmInst looks to me like a center of influence of where the world might go. -- Best, Dick
<kevin> *reveal
<John_Ventureville> dang it
<planetp> I don't know about you guys, but I was from the Great Galactic Council of Elvi, of which Elvis is a second-order member
<eclecticdreamer> thank you Dick :O)
<John_Ventureville> Dick, it was wonderful having you here
<planetp> Thanks Dick!
<BJKlein> thanks Dick.. great to have you with us.. please come back@!
<John_Ventureville> thank you for coming
<John_Ventureville> I intend to purchase DARE
* BJKlein has a wife by the name "Susan"
<kevin> good bye dick.. the net is where its at.. and ImmInst is definitely a happening place for those who see a future worth living in
<TimFreeman> How long is the full DARE audio?
<John_Ventureville> tell your wife we appreciate her sacrifice of having us steal you away from her for awhile
<planetp> nite all
<BJKlein> she enjoys the peace
<kevin> nite pp..
<kevin> I'm off as well..
<Dick> Tim, it's over an hour.... Thanks, all, and bye!!
<kevin> great chat..
<TimFreeman> Dick: Thanks!
<John_Ventureville> goodnight

#3 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:19 AM

3.20.2004 Mind Over Technology
Dr. J. talks to Richard Samson, a futurist, author of a number of books on human potential and director of the EraNova Institute. In Mind over Technology, Mr. Samson argues that, as machines automate routine physical and intellectual labor, human beings will be able to enhance their unique human capacities to find new niches in the economy.
http://www.radio4all...nfo.php?id=8854

• Lurker

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:10 AM

http://www.csmonitor...15s02-wmgn.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users