• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Exercise and Aging

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:40 AM

After taking part in the recent v-chat we had I feel pumped and decided to conduct my own v-chat.

Just for the record for the newbies here, I am just about to complete my PhD where my main area of research was to look at the effects of dietary supplementation (whey protein and creatine monohydrate) and resistance training on muscle metabolism, antioxidant capacity and strength in aged males (60+ years).

Here is what I plan to present

Exercise and Aging

during this v-chat discussion I plan to draw on my personal experiance as an active, fit & healthy individual as well drawing on my experiance as a researcher, training aged males. The style of the discussion will be an informal lecture where people can openly interact whilst I present the information. I'm not too fussed either about going off on tangents. I will try to keep the discussion relevant though

In the discussion, I hope to cover topics such as

1. Why a Sedentary Lifestyle is a major contributor to the leading causes of death among adults in the US.

2. What are the benefits of being fit as you age.

3. Exercise Prescription.
-different forms of exercise and how they benefit the aging individual

4. Open discussion.

Here is the skypecast preview

Posted ImageExercise and Aging.
Hosted by Amphetish

Starts March 09, 12:00

Most human beings experience peak physical performance in their late teens and begin a slow decline in their early 20's, whose course is greatly affected by the activity levels being undertaken by the individual in the years that follow. So, is this slow decline inevitable? Can we control the rate at which we physically age with a well developed exercise regime? I aim to motivate those feeling the first signs of aging to feel young again through exercise. An Imminst.org presentation

Related Web address
http://www.imminst.org

the URL
https://skypecasts.s...?id_talk=495512

I plan on conducting it at 12noon Friday March 9th, my time which is 8pm (20:00) Thursday March 8th, US EST
http://www.timeandda...0&p1=152&p2=179

of course, absolutely everyone is welcome.

#2 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:46 AM

I hope this will start fo trend where those who have a great deal of knowledge and expertise in particular areas will follow suit. It's a great way to present information to a community.

Does anyone know of a program where you can do a presentation, like in skypecast, with power point slides?

#3 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like a plan. I will make effort to attend. I may be listen only though, depending if I get a chance to get a mic or not.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

I look forward to your talk Zoolander. It would be fun to get a regular voice chat going, perhaps with some debates or other such things.

I will record this one for anyone that can't attend.

Here is the time at various other parts of the world at noon, March 9 Sydney time:
http://www.timeandda...=0&sec=0&p1=152

#5 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

Ok, sounds like I'm making a trip to walmart for a headset sometime this week.

#6 dano

• 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

I'll be there!

#7 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:27 PM

SWEET! I'm going to try and pimp the talk later in the week

#8 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:44 PM

I should be able to make it.

I have some ideas and references that may be able to help a little. [thumb]

specifically with regards to powerlifting/olympic wieghtlifting and their ability to maintain muscle mass and stave of the effects of aging induced sarcopenia.

As well as baseline testosterone levels.

#9 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:01 AM

Yeah, I'll be there too.

#10 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:42 AM

I'm not sure whether I will do it this time but I plan to use power point slides for a v-chat. I will give a presentation. Send all the listeners the power point slides at the start of the chat.

Thoughts?

#11 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:19 AM

Thoughts?

yeah, I think it's a good idea..simplified and concise, giving the people time to pour over it later will help them comprehend it fully. [glasses]

#12 dano

• 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:51 AM

It'll also help keep structure to the discussion, definitely a good idea : )

#13 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:57 AM

I like the idea

#14 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

I'm going to have to pospone this. I started preparing the talk in lecture format with power point slides and had people knocking knocking with work. The scope of what I would like to present requires more than just a few hours of prep. I do not want to present something that is unorganised and sub-standard

Here is the new time

the URL
https://skypecasts.s...&id_talk=495512

I plan on conducting it at 12noon Friday March 31st, my time which is 8pm (20:00) Thursday March 30th, US EST

How about we organise another skypecast in the original time slot just to talk about things in general again.

#15 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

I'll try to be there.

#16 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

Here's the new skypecast
https://skypecasts.s...?id_talk=515434

to replace the one that I had originally planned on conducting. This will be a lot more informal and open

Thursday March 8th, US EST
http://www.timeandda...0&p1=152&p2=179

Indefinate lifespan anyone?

Hosted by Amphetish

Starts March 09, 12:00

Life extension may seem far-fetched to many, but it's not a fantasy. Driven by a convergence of numerous technological advancements, including Biotechnology, Cryopreservation, Nanotechnology and Artificial Intelligence, progress in life extension has already started. To advance global awareness, the Immortality Institute hosts an online forum, publishes books, produces films, and sponsors conferences. We now also conduct informative interactive sypecasts. Jump on in for a chat

Related Web address
http://www.imminst.org

#17 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

How about we organise another skypecast in the original time slot just to talk about things in general again.

I'll be there. Maybe you should run it, zoo, so you can have a test run at the controls and bringing people up and down to talk and whatnot. Plus, you might be able to fend off the crazies since you actually know what you are talking about.

#18 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

Consider it done.

#19 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

Are you still planning on doing this on the 31st? If so, that would suck. I'll be chillin' on the beach.

#20 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

Yeah, zoo. We all want to hear your pearls of wisdom!

#21 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:50 AM

I think I jumped into organising this lecture without thinking. I simply have no time at the moment. I do plan to do it one day but I will have to wait for things to calm down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users