• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

The Sunday Evening Chat Returns

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

I am happy to announce that the Immortality Institute Sunday evening chat has returned. The regularly scheduled time for the chat is 6:30 p.m. central time U.S. You can log into the Imminst chatroom by following the instructions found here: http://www.imminst.org/chat/

This week, Sunday November 11th, the Institute proudly welcomes University of Cambridge biomedical gerontologist and co-founder of the Methuselah Foundation - Aubrey De Grey.

Stop by, relax, and talk SENS!'

Download Aubrey's latest powerpoint:
http://www.imminst.o...port/aubrey.ppt

Sun Nov 12th
4:30 Pacific
5:30 Mountain
6:30 Central
7:30 Eastern
[timezone help]

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:28 PM

Awesome.

Did you guys get to try out a Skype chat this past Sunday?

#3 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

We did not, I got Skype to work on my computer though, so I could join in when we do it.

I look forward to talking SENS, and all sorts of futurist issues with Aubrey :p Hope everyone can make it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

I tried to set-up a skypecast (last Sunday) but it failed because I apparently didn't have the newest version of skype on my computer. No worries Shep, I definitely would like to move to skypecast relatively soon.

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

Will this Sunday be Skype, or regular type-chat? (so anyone can get the latest version beforehand--if it will in fact be Skype)

#6 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:51 PM

So it is going to be at 6:30 pm CST this Sunday? I know that originally an earlier time had been proposed.

By the way, for anyone interested, here is what the time will be in many parts of the world at 6:30 pm CST, Sunday November 11:
http://www.timeandda...=30&sec=0&p1=70

#7 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:03 AM

This week, Sunday November 11th, the Institute proudly welcomes University of Cambridge biomedical gerontologist and co-founder of the Methuselah Foundation - Aubrey De Grey.

That's great!!
I am about to finish reading his book 'Ending Aging'. I like the way he emphasizes the cleaning of our cells/organs from the accumulated gunk/junk. Maybe he should have gone a little bit beyond the celular/organic level of cleaning and organizing--into the macroscopic level although in every chapter he brings up good analogies from the tangible world.
Overall I am impressed with his book. I am about to start the "Deadly Combat in the Battle of the Bulge" of Chapter 10 (Putting the Zombies to Rest).
I may prepare few questions/comments for Sunday night related to 'Ending Aging'.

#8 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:56 AM

So it is going to be at 6:30 pm CST this Saturday? I know that originally an earlier time had been proposed.

Sunday. 6:30 pm central time U.S. Text chat this week

#9 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

Aah, yes, I meant Sunday, sorry. I was just wondering about the time. Thanks for the clarification.

Again, for anyone interested, here is the time everywhere else at 6:30 pm CST, Sunday November 11:

http://www.timeandda...=30&sec=0&p1=70

#10 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hmm, I'm not my at most "chatty" at 00:30 am, especially when I get up at 5:45am to go to the gym.

Hope it goes well and stays as a regular event.

#11 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

While i find it a positive thing in general i have to say that 1:30 am on a monday is not ideal :p so i guess there will be very little european attendance to the chat.

#12 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

While i find it a positive thing in general i have to say that 1:30 am on a monday is not ideal :p so i guess there will be very little european attendance to the chat.

Besides Aubrey of course. He must just never sleep as many interviews and things as he does.

#13 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

For all the European members, I think we can move the chat time once a month. How about 3:30pm? That would be 9:30pm in England and 10:30/11:30 p.m. further east in Europe.

#14 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

That time would be fine. Bit late but fine compromise. I would vote in favor (if this was a vote :) )

#15 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:24 AM

3:30 would work out well for many people I think. Something to think about in the future.

#16 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

Hmmm.....
I'm giving a presentation to my pastoral group on SENS just twelve and a half hours later. Perhaps the chat will help me prepare.

- Adam

#17 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:43 PM

Is there any way to moderate in the chat area? Looking back over the Chat Archives and from some I've been in, it can be difficult to follow the various discussions. And, you can have multiple people all throwing questions at the guest. I would assume we'd need some way to keep everything orderly to ensure maximum effectiveness and so that our guests leave feeling it was a pleasant experience instead of being tired from the confusion.

#18 Bram

• Guest, F@H
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

Here's at least one more european who'll try to attend regularly, but then I'm usually up late anyway so the 1:30 am isn't too much of a problem.

#19 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:04 AM

I'll ask Bruce about moderation...but I don't think there are many options. I plan to hold sway for the first 20 to 30 minutes and then allow a more free-form chat toward the end.

I'll see if I can collect some good questions from members beforehand to have handy for the beginning part of the chat.

#20 kanzure

• 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:15 AM

I'll see if I can collect some good questions from members beforehand to have handy for the beginning part of the chat.

Hey there. I have been reviewing all of Aubrey's scientific papers and have a substantial multipaged document with questions and references to his research. I hope my questions qualify as good. :)

- Bryan

#21 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:22 AM

There's a way to block individual folks (good in some cases) but I've found that it's relatively unnecessary most of the time, as most people are on good behavior.

#22 kanzure

• 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

Bruce over in #immortal prompted me to come post a link to:
http://heybryan.org/...uman/Aubrey.zip

25 megabytes of Aubrey's papers to review. Later I will get to uploading my notes so that we have something to work with for the discussion later this evening.

- Bryan

#23 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:50 PM

I would also opt for an earlier time.... :)
The route from my home towards my worklocation, about 100km, is very taffic-jam sensitive and intensive....
Need to get up at 5:30 most monday mornings in order not to loose a lot of my time.

#24 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:30 AM

Fyi... chat w/ Aubrey is starting now.

#25 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:17 AM

I am very pissed off at this moment with myself, my computer and the rest of the world for not being able to enter in/on/at this chat.
I guess I could check the chat archives later on.

#26 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:19 AM

Yeah, check the archives. Aubrey answered one question of yours. If you want to post another, I will ask it.

#27 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:30 AM

thanks Cnorwood.

Why didn't Aubrey mentioned anything about the skeleton (bones) in his book "Ending Aging"? Is it because the application of SENS would take care of the bones similarly as it does with other body tissues or is it that bones are not vital for living indefinitely?

thanks again C.N.

#28 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

Moved the archive of the chat to this thread: http://www.imminst.o...69&t=18667&st=0

(only putting this here cause I know I linked to this thread in a couple other places so I figure some future people may come directly here from other places)

#29 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

I'm European too (Swedish) and while I'd love to participate, I agree with others who have said that 00:30/01:30 is a little too late when you need to get up early (07:00) for school the following Monday.

I'd like an official voting on this.

• Lurker

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

Just got notice of this evening's chat with a PM (broadcast to all members maybe?). I've participated in online chat conferences and they can be problematic in a number of ways. Important contributors can drop off in midst discussion due to packet interference or some other frailty of internet hardware/software communications right now. Time difference makes it inconvenient to probably a quarter of humanity or more. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done but I don't think it is a success generator as something else might be that could bring many more to participate. Then small web revenues become major funding. The forum should not be the primary focus. The chats should not be a major focus. Individuals should not be the major focus. A web portal that is useful, broadly supports increasing consciousness to maximize our joint success potentials, could be a comprehensive, many-fields-covering news portal focused on improving human conditions, lessening "the blight of involuntary death," makes sense. The mission becomes the focus. Basically this idea is based on information science. To get more people to learn and care for your mission, give them pointers to the data that allows them to more easily synthesize understanding within their own brains. Maybe this would even allow eventually losing that participation numbers hurdle known as membership fees or the too often opinion slanting risk incorporating private business sponsorships and ad revenues, all with a reasonably compensated shifting staff of employees. There are organizations doing that today successfully and speaking truth to power while growing more out-reach tremendously and not only being fiscally sound but increasing revenues substantially. They are getting the word out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users